AEKFC.gr Reports Kappos invited to Yallop's camp

Metro

By the way, Kappos last saw action with the first team yesterday, when AEK defeated Agrotikos Asteras 1-0 in Greek Cup action. He played the full 90 minutes, and cleared the ball off his team's goal line near the end of the game to preserve the win. I don't know what position he played, but my guess is winger/wing back.

I don't believe he has played in any of AEK's league games, this season.

Yallop mentioned in an interview (I think by our own Ian Kennett) in the latest issue of WFP that he was looking into getting Kappos involved. Looks like he succeeded.

For those of us who don't read Greek, any chance of a loose translation, or was that basically all the article said?

Awesome news!!

There is a proud tradition of Greek/Canadians on our men's nat. team!!

It hasn't been the same since John Limniatis left!!

By most accounts, Kappos is a right back.

PS Kappos has played a league match. He played a full 90' against PAOK a couple of months ago. Apparently he helped set up a goal.

I guess we know who #16 is. I was going to post that the roster only had 15 names and not the 16 previously advertised. Perhaps WFP can tell me why those buggers in TO are getting their copies before those in the much closer (and better loved :)) Province of Saskatchewan?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Yallop mentioned in an interview (I think by our own Ian Kennett) in the latest issue of WFP that he was looking into getting Kappos involved. Looks like he succeeded.

For those of us who don't read Greek, any chance of a loose translation, or was that basically all the article said?

Rough translation:

Stathi Kappos will be with the Canadian National Team between January 12-23. New Manager Frank Yallop will be using this time to hold a training camp for Canadian Internationals, although on January 18th Canada is scheduled to play a friendly with the island of Barbados.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I guess we know who #16 is. I was going to post that the roster only had 15 names and not the 16 previously advertised. Perhaps WFP can tell me why those buggers in TO are getting their copies before those in the much closer (and better loved :)) Province of Saskatchewan?

A Canada Postman with snowshoes brought me the Good News today. Apologized for the delay, but said traversing the Rockies was a strain with the cold.

cheers,

matthew

Maybe so, but Kappos has worked himself into action with AEK, bringing him over to NA now will possibly move him further down the list, giving another player the opportunity to impress AEK. There's going to be a training camp for European players, most likely when it won't affect their teams, Yallop could see Kappos then. I guess I just don't understand why Kappos is coming over and no one else from an active European club.

How old is Kappos? Is he there as an Olympic team member rather than as just a Senior team member? I checked the CSA site for a date of birth, and he is not listed in any player bank. A suprise cull from beyond the pale?

AEK is disintegrating finanacially, and the players are not getting paid. This, and the realization that he may never play for Greece may make the attractiveness of getting an "international" label for his career worthwhile over whatever "risk" he is placed in at AEK.

Guest Jeffery S.

Has anyone thought that maybe Kappos would be interested in playing in the Olympics in Greece, which is a once in a lifetime chance for a player like him. It is a calculated bet on his part, being able to play for Canada in Greek stadiums this summer.

Just a thought. But will the Barbados friendly cap-tie the man?

Pulling on the Maple Leaf at an "informal" friendly dosen't make the fellow now, always, and forever Canadian property. Quite sure FIFA has to qualify the match a certain level or grade for that particular rule to apply. And should that be the case, the Barbados friendly may not threaten Kappos' ability to still play for Greece, Kappos knows it and so has nothing to loose from the future by attending.

Quite the opposite. Greece hasn't capped the man, but may look on him in a less harsh light now that another suitor has come a wooing and Mr. Kappos is allowing the wooing to play out.

Quite unsure of this conspiracy theroy, though. Have to forgive me on this one. Head's a bit more foggy than usual tonight.

What's a Grade A match? Does it involve chickens?

He will only be capped if he is on the field in an official FIFA match (qualifying or finals of any CONCACAF or FIFA event).

The "Grade A" match was incorrect. Even our Malta friendly (groan) was an "A" friendly, as was the Fort Lauderdale disaster of 2003. To be cap-tied, one has to play in an official FIFA or CONCACAF competition which means (in our case):

- WCQ or World Cup

- GCQ or Gold Cup

- Confederations Cup

- (not sure) OQ or Olympics

The "Grade A" match was incorrect. Even our Malta friendly (groan) was an "A" friendly, as was the Fort Lauderdale disaster of 2003. To be cap-tied, one has to play in an official FIFA or CONCACAF competition which means (in our case):

- WCQ or World Cup

- GCQ or Gold Cup

- Confederations Cup

- (not sure) OQ or Olympics

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Has anyone thought that maybe Kappos would be interested in playing in the Olympics in Greece, which is a once in a lifetime chance for a player like him. It is a calculated bet on his part, being able to play for Canada in Greek stadiums this summer.

Yeah, I though that it might be nice to include Kappos and Kenny S. in our roster for the Olympic Games :) . They would be eligible for the finals, I think, since 3 overage players can be added to the group of U23s representing a country. Of course we have to make it to the big show first.

Well I don't know...if Canada qualifies for the Olympics, it will probably want to choose guys like Devos or Stalteri as the overagers; veteran players who not only play well for the Senior Nats but have given back to the National program by always being available for the team.

quote:Originally posted by ray

Yeah, I though that it might be nice to include Kappos and Kenny S. in our roster for the Olympic Games :) . They would be eligible for the finals, I think, since 3 overage players can be added to the group of U23s representing a country. Of course we have to make it to the big show first.

quote:Originally posted by Metro

Well I don't know...if Canada qualifies for the Olympics, it will probably want to choose guys like Devos or Stalteri as the overagers; veteran players who not only play well for the Senior Nats but have given back to the National program by always being available for the team.

Yes, I agree. It was just a musing on my part rather than anything based in reality.

But back to Kappos: there's still no confirmation from the CSA or press about him joining the squad. However, the story from the AEK would suggest the Stathis is at least interested in playing for Canada even if he does not make in to the camp.

Archived