WC Qualifiying

eastcoaster

Does anyone else feel less confident about the upcoming campaign than any of the previous ones. Even though we seem to have more talent than we have had in a long time, I just dont feel confident. Maybe I am overworrying, but our program has no direction right now.

I would really love to get a great coach, one of whom we could only afford for the short term, to guide us through the qualifying. Let us get a long term coach after, one who will right the the program from bottom to top, very much like Holger did when he first came.

Right now, just give us the best chance to qualify. Development can wait until after.

quote:Originally posted by eastcoaster

Does anyone else feel less confident about the upcoming campaign than any of the previous ones. Even though we seem to have more talent than we have had in a long time, I just dont feel confident. Maybe I am overworrying, but our program has no direction right now.

I think it's early to worry and make judgements about the team.

WCQ is very long (20 games?); we can compete against the good teams

despite not having our best players nor our coach there. All I know

is that ALL teams are NOT ready if the WC is played right now and

preparations will augment (but not determine) any possibilities

of qualifying.

Too many people are worried about not having Julian or Aguiar called

up instead of Bircham or Watson, yet the same would have been stated

if the opposite were true. Look, we beat Costa Rica without Radzinski

or De Rosario or Menezes or De Guzman -- doesn't that tell you

that we can be competitive when we want to? Or do we use the Cuba

or Malta games as examples again?

We need a coach, then some more friendlies, play the teams, and then

worry. Other than that, have a Coke and a smile.;)

I would really love to get a great coach, one of whom we could only afford for the short term, to guide us through the qualifying. Let us get a long term coach after, one who will right the the program from bottom to top, very much like Holger did when he first came.

Right now, just give us the best chance to qualify. Development can wait until after.

I think that we hit rock bottom during WCQ 2002. We had never exited so early in the WCQ process. So I don't think that expectations will be too high in the first place. Also, as much as we like to bemoan what we don't have in canada, lets not assume that many of our other Concacaf rivals are in a better position. They may have an entirely different set of problems ( eg: $$$$$$). This is an observation that I made of Haiti for example when going see the GC in 2002. Many of the Carribean sides cannot be in that much better a situation. look at the difficulties that barbadoes experienced with money during their last WCQ for example.

By taking even the most pessimistic assessment of our squad going in to WCQ, I still believe that anything less than reaching the hex would have to be a disappointment. Once you've reached the hex, then anything can happen with 3½ spots now up for grabs.

Lets not kid ourselves though. The results are not comming in, we have no coach, a suspect defense, and we are ignoring important players in our selection process. But these things can quickly change. Look at it another way, Ryan Lucas is an international striker for Barbados. If he plays regaularly for Barbadoes, doesn't that give you hope for canada? If we get all of our best players available and there is no injuries, then aside from the US and Mexico how much better are the rest? However your point is well taken.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

I am beginning to think we need a coach with a profile that will command the respect of the players and the CSA and be seen as completely objective. I don't know if we can afford a high profile coach though..

yes, I would definitely agree with that but I am not holding my breath

I think the chances of qualifying are way better than last time, now that we have an extra spot in the WC and we have very good players. We just need to find out a way to find the best combination of players and the best formation (4-4-2 or 4-3-3). The only inconvenient is if the players abroad are willing to travel for these 20 games. If they really want to play in a WC then I`m pretty sure they`ll make that sacrifice.

I think it is easy to be disappointed with some of our recent results (loss to Cuba, the Finland friendly), but I remain optimistic for the WC 2006 qualifying effort. The point has been made repeatedly that squad depth is key to a long qualifying process and I believe that this Canada squad has more depth than in the past, with the possible exception of the backline.

Even at the back, though, we have some attractive options. Assuming de Vos is usually available (admittedly, a big 'if' at this point), let's have a look at the situation.

Centre backs (in order of preference, that is, who I would like to see play): de Vos, Menezes, McKenna, Reda, Fenwick

Left back: Jazic, Klukowski, Brennan, Pozniak, Hastings

Right back: Nsaliwa, Bent, Watson, (Stalteri)

There are a lot of options in this configuration, especially if we have Menezes available and he is still as solid and smooth as he was a few years ago.

The midfield looks good, with some Bundesliga talent (Hutchison to join soon?), and I'd be happy in any match where we have at least one of Radz and de Rosario playing.

Hirsch is solid in nets (I'd say he is our #1 right now), with Onstad, Kenny, and possibly some A-League talent as cover.

I agree with the other posts that a lot depends on the coach which the CSA hires, but the players are there to make a qualifying run.

I remain optimistic about our qualifying chances but as always, temper this with the caveat that we have to play enough games. Basically, we should be able to make it through until the fall of 2004 without mishap. A poor draw in the first round could make it a little tricky but the chances of that are slim, and even so, should not count us out (or we deserve what we get). We have to get sorted in the next 6-8 months. All of Hume, Klukowski, DeGuzman, Nsaliwa and Hutchinson will benefit from the playing time with their club sides. Barring a rash of injures, we should be in pretty good shape going into the semi's. Obviously, much will depend on the coach, and who decides to show up. If we get a decent coach, if we play a few friendlies to prepare, and we play a decent mix of possession and direct soccer, we should be OK. Definitely some "ifs" but I all in all, looking pretty good.

I guess this is the most pessimistic I've ever been going into a World Cup qualifying campaign, but it should be noted that from 94 and previous I was too young and naive to think the world was crap. I had faith I guess.

Last time I thought we had the man for the job and with three spots up for grabs, we'd be in with a good chance. It took three qualifying games for me to know we were doomed.

So I feel much better now than I did three games into the 02 round. I think the biggest thing to remember is how long and arduous this will be. Our team that marches onto the pitch in Germany won't look awhole lot like the one we throw out against the islanders we open with.

The biggest trick will be staying healthy, getting some breaks and staying harmonious. I think the key will be having a good manager. Because to be honest, while we're all prone to get excited about if X player is better than Y player at a certain spot, we have a lot of guys with comperable skill and as long as we have a manager who can get the most out of them and has a bit of a knack for throwing the right guy in the right spot at the right time, we can do this.

That being said, let's not kid ourselves. I figure we're behind Mexico, US, Costa Rica and Honduras (good skill, would have been there in 02 if not for cripling injuries and Bora will have them playing tight defensively) at least. Jamaica will be very tough as well and add in Guatemala and T&T and we're going to need to get some huge results, probably as early as the semifinal round if we hope to have a sniff.

It's going to be a grind, it'll be painful and taxing and I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Three more months!

cheers,

matthew

I am very pessimistic about WCQ as three of the five coaching candidates being bandied about are a recipe for disaster. I will be very surprised if Frank Yallop accepts the job. It may depend on how San Jose does in its playoff run. I'll have a better feeling for Dale Mitchell's status next month. The other three worry me deeply. If Miller or James are offered the coaching position, I can see our most promising players leaving the national side without a second thought. I think Twamley has shown me enough to doubt he could get us very far. We seem destined for an old boys club on the field to mirror that at Metcalfe St.

it will be announced that frank yallop will be the new head coach.the decision was made during the san jose vancouver friendly.he never would have released onstad and de rosario to fly over to finland right after a game in california unless he has a strong commitment to the mens team.who he brings over as his asisstant could determine the style of play that yallop wants to bring to the national team.

quote:Originally posted by snake

it will be announced that frank yallop will be the new head coach.the decision was made during the san jose vancouver friendly.he never would have released onstad and de rosario to fly over to finland right after a game in california unless he has a strong commitment to the mens team.who he brings over as his asisstant could determine the style of play that yallop wants to bring to the national team.

I don't think Yallop would have had a choice re DD & Onstadt as it was a FIFA date. Given appropriate notice, his hands were tied. Its clear the CSA wants Yallop or why would they wait. They can hire COlin Miller any time.

Not a bad idea at all. Actually I like the idea of having a short term great coach to take us to Germany and look at the long term afterwards. Such a great coach will demand to have the players he want available and a lot of friendlies with good opposition. This is where the stumbling block resides with the CSA. If the CSA does not cooperate in arranging this, then it will make little difference who we get for coach.

I have a feeling that the CSA will be looking past Yallop, Miller, Mitchell, etc. The experience and success achieved by a world class guy like Pellerud is too fresh in their minds. They may be looking at a real high profile individual with a good personality.

I am optimistic that we will qualify. Whether we go beyond the first round, that will be challenge.

I feel pretty good about WCQ. Another season will have come and gone in Europe, Germany in particular, leaving the National side that much the stronger.

JDV will have hopefully gotten a 1/2 year of 1st division ball, Brennan to (pity that Brennan injurys. Was expecting a break out this year). How long is Levein going to keep McKenna happy? If Hearts weren't in the EUFA Cup? Look for a move come new years, kids. Big Kev may be young and comfortable at Hearts, but these years are too precious at his development age to be sitting on the bench and he's smart enough to know it.

DeGuzman, Nsaliwa. MC2. Even Stalteri. That German bunch could be twice the playing force by autumn 2004 that they are now and everyone will have to admit the growing qualities of DeGuzman and Tam. I can't for the life of me ever remember thinking more positively about our short term future.

Which I guess is good, because WCQ is a short term away.

A little summer tour in the off season might be a bit to ask of our lads, but man! Three weeks together picking on nice soft A-League sides would do them priceless good. Promote the game a little and give the A-League sides another (and I'm sure bigger) gate.

Might find the missing ingredient during just such an adventure. Maybe this cake just wasn't ever given a chance to cook long enough before? Couldn't hurt to try.

We're so close I can taste it! Like a God damned Chineese puzzle. There's no partial solution. Untell you figure out that one missing piece all you've got is a pile of crap. But once you do,,,BLAM!!! CONCACAF look out!

Or we're sunk, loosing out in the earliest rounds with Colin Miller as manager.

Nighty-night. Sweet dreams.

My optimism or pessimism depends on what happens with the coaching situation. There's no doubt in my mind that we have the talent to qualify from this region, as I do not rate it that highly. The question is whether we get a coach who ensures that our best talent is on the field for these qualifiers. It shouldn't be very difficult to do, considering the almost universal agreement amongst Canadian supporters as to who our best players are, so it amazes me that it hasn't been done yet by the people taking over from Holger. But, hopefully that was just the interim coach only. It remains to be seen what a truly new & permanent head coach will do. I am a little worried about the decision-making process for the new coach, the criteria being used & who is making the decision.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

My optimism or pessimism depends on what happens with the coaching situation. There's no doubt in my mind that we have the talent to qualify from this region, as I do not rate it that highly. The question is whether we get a coach who ensures that our best talent is on the field for these qualifiers.

Thats really the problem isn't it? On paper, we should be able to make it, unfortunately the games are played on the the pitch. If Ed's pessimistic assessment turns out to be accurate, then we may be in for an unhappy run.

I gotta admit, I'm feeling a little pessimistic myself, but as most people have said it all depends on the coach selected by the CSA. Aside from Fank Yallop and the other "usual suspects" I haven't heard anything about any other coaching candidates. I do like Yallop and what he's done in San Jose, but I strongly believe we need to hire a foreign coach who'll bring a little credibility to our side. Holger had the right idea, but possibly the wrong people skills to get it done. The famous "old boy network" needs to be broken up and some new blood needs to be brought in.

The only thing I'm grateful for at the moment is that I haven't heard any talk of the 'Duze coming back...

Oh well.. who knows. I was never more optimistic than before the '02 Qualifying, but it didn't take me 3 games to know we were in trouble. I watched it up close and personal in Edmonton, we were in a hole as soon as we lost that first game to T&T.

Archived