U20 - Canada vs. El Salvador (R)

The Beaver

I found this great bit of news on the Texas Soccer website. This U20 team--without a number of its key Euro-based players--is really something. I am excited about the WYC this November. Good to see Wynn doing his thing. I hope he has a great tournie in the UAE and signs with a club that will suit his needs best.

Match-up: Men, El Salvador U20 vs. Canada U20

Date: July 31, 2003

Venue: Robertson Stadium – Houston, Texas

Kickoff: 6:30 p.m. CDT

Scoring Summary: 1 2 F

El Salvador 0 0 0

Canada 2 1 3

Scoring:

Canada U20: Wynn Belotte – 25th minute

Wynn Belotte – 27th minute

David Simpson – 55th minute

Stats Summary: El Salvador U20 Canada U20

Shots 6 15

Saves 3 1

Corner Kicks 3 2

Fouls 13 17

Offside 4 0

Misconduct Summary:

El Salvador: Hardoqueo Dubon (caution)-23rd minute; (send off)-61st minute

Isaac Zelaya (caution) – 56th minute, (send off)-78th minute

Oscar Garcia (caution) - 73rd minute

Henry Hernandez (caution) – 83rd Minute

Referee: Doug Damico

Assistant Referee: Jeremy Schroeder

Assistant Referee: Mike McMullen

4th Official: Harlan Matthews

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Anyone with information on David Simpson? Unless I missed something, he is not even listed on the roster the CSA released prior to the tourney.

Could be Josh Simpson that they are referring to.

Good result for Canada. Does anyone know how close the USA team is to full strength? I guess it doesn't matter, though. When it comes to guaging Canada's strength we won't be able to judge until they play a warm-up match against a recognized European or South American nation.

As for Belotte making it in Europe, a good U20 tournament could do wonders for his seemingly stalled career.

From the posts on bigsoccer.com, it appears the USA is fairly close to full strength, with Convey the most notable name missing. Funny, the US are reporting we are near full strength, despite not having Hume, Hutchinson, Harmse, Godfrey & Ledgerwood not there. Srdjan and Josh Wagenaar are the keepers so, possibly, we are not full strength there either, depending on whether you would take those two over Fernandes, Rayner and Karim.

I am sure I am missing others on both sides. I believe Quaranta (sp?) is there for the US. I recall someone posting about him not doing anything in one of the matches.

I think David Simpson plays for Hamilton Thunder of CPSL. I recall that he did play as a striker in this age group when they were U-18s in a tournament in France a couple of years ago. I think he started all the matches and partnered Chris Lemire but then he disappeared from the team when Godfrey was discovered and Wyn became eligilbe (ie. after U-17 side lost in Qualifying).

Guest Jeffery S.

From the posts on bigsoccer.com, it appears the USA is fairly close to full strength, with Convey the most notable name missing. Funny, the US are reporting we are near full strength, despite not having Hume, Hutchinson, Harmse, Godfrey & Ledgerwood not there. Srdjan and Josh Wagenaar are the keepers so, possibly, we are not full strength there either, depending on whether you would take those two over Fernandes, Rayner and Karim.

I am sure I am missing others on both sides. I believe Quaranta (sp?) is there for the US. I recall someone posting about him not doing anything in one of the matches.

The full US roster is on a the bigsoccer thread, at

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63217&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Seems the only notable absences for the States are some MLS players, but then again it looks like the key ones are mentioned.

Also mentions there that a radio station in the city carries some games live, in Spanish. Unfortunately it is too late for me to listen if they play the last night game.

If Wyn performs well at the U20 WC (and he's been scoring regularly at that age level), he should be able to get a better deal than a loan to some second-tier Swedish team who gets subsequently relegated without him playing.

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Seems the only notable absences for the States are some MLS players, but then again it looks like the key ones are mentioned.

The US will be missing at least 6 probable WYC starters on Saturday: Convey, Magee, Mapp, Quaranta, Clark and Simek. Convey, Mapp, and Quaranta left Houston on Wednesday. Clark left Houston today. Magee never made it to Houston. Simek is in England with Arsenal So the US roster for Saturday's match will be very different from the one originally posted on bigsoccer.

BTW, I will be attending the match and writing a match report, so I would appreciate it if someone familiar with the Canadian U-20's could post a brief primer on the players so I could get familiar with them before Saturday's match. Also please tell me what key players are missing. Thanks.

I am not that familiar with the Canadian U-20 side but the two key players missing would be Iain Hume and Atiba Hutchinson.. Both saw playing time with the Senior side at the Gold Cup. Both are also important starters already with their European sides. Hutchinson with A weak Swedish Premier league side called Osters and Hume with Tranmere Rovers of the English 2nd Division. I suppose the the Three keepers mentioned by Jeffrey have to be considered important because all three would have been picked ahead of those playing. Harmse Godfrey and Ledgerwood also are with European sides and would have been considered starters. However, Hutchinson and Hume would have to be considered missing Stars.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Fulham9

The US will be missing at least 6 probable WYC starters on Saturday: Convey, Magee, Mapp, Quaranta, Clark and Simek. Convey, Mapp, and Quaranta left Houston on Wednesday. Clark left Houston today. Magee never made it to Houston. Simek is in England with Arsenal So the US roster for Saturday's match will be very different from the one originally posted on bigsoccer.

BTW, I will be attending the match and writing a match report, so I would appreciate it if someone familiar with the Canadian U-20's could post a brief primer on the players so I could get familiar with them before Saturday's match. Also please tell me what key players are missing. Thanks.

I know that was your first post on this board, just to comment that was not my post you quoted, think it was Ivan's.

In any case just to fill in, striker Wyn Belotte (three goals, one vs. Honduras, two vs. ES) went through the Nantes system, erred going pro early in Sweden at Norkopping, they released him and he is unattached. Can play up front or down the left side, tricky dribble, cute passing, not overly fast but deceptive, and last we saw not that great in the air, though perhaps Sweden helped him in that regard.

Some strong midfield playmaking by Chin, who is now at the Vancouver Whitecaps. Probably would do better with usual partner Hutchinson, as the latter has more size. If he plays he'll do a lot of the distribution.

Young player Taty-Matondo, now playing for the Impact in Montreal, impulsive, good shot, fast, needs a bit of work still but a good prospect. Probably attacking mid.

Keeper could be Srdjan Djekanovic, played last year in top flight Serbia and Montenegro. Just signed for a lower level team. From Vancouver. We've never seen him, though word is that he is a serious keeper with pro experience. Only goal Canada has given up so far was on a Honduran penalty kick, so the team looks tough at the back and in goal.

Key faces missing are Hume with Tranmere, their young player of the year in Div 2 England, strikes or plays right wing, some big league goals this year as Tranmere barely missed promotion playoffs; Godfrey at Watford, mostly playing Reserves but has some first team minutes, a fine striker too; Ledgerwood has just been signed by Munich 1860; Harmse, a defender, has been injured but is dressing but not yet playing for Tromso in Norway top flight. Hutchinson as mentioned at basement side Östers in Sweden, midfielder but happens to be their leading scorer this season. Keeper Daniel Fernandes was at Celta Vigo youth, is now looking at possibilities for more playing time on trial in Germany, last we heard in Hamburg. Oddly Syracuse U keeper Alim played the qualifier matches in Charleston. These as mentioned would be the key missing players.

In summary Fulham9, it looks like both Canada and the US will be missing about 6 probable starters. We will all be looking forward to your game report.

Thanks for filling in the gaps of my original post Jeffery.

I'm very impressed with the quality of the youth on both the US and Canadian U20's. We are producing some real studs. I think many of our players are more athletically gifted and more talented than many of current senior national team members. As far as Belotte is concerned, I think some time in the A-league would do him some good. Given his talent he'd be an immediate starter. Once he found his feet he'd be an immediate impact player as well. I think all he really needs is a good run of 1st team football to build his confidence. Also it will help him understand the thought process of the professional game.

"Try not, do. Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

Jeffrey, I believe you missed a few more players from the U20

Big keeper Simon Rayner who last played for U-23s in tho two matches against the US in Jan/Feb. These matches were split. Rayner was with Barry Town in Wales but is looking for a new side I believe. I think he or Feranandez would be our number one keeper at this age.

Waldemar Dutra, a useful midfielder who played for Calgary Storm this year and last we heard was on trial somewhere in Germany possibly with Energy Cottbus.

And finally Chris Lemire, a small speedy forward/winger who plays for the Impact in the A-league. Scored one of the three goals in our victory over the US to get us to the youth world cup. I believe he is currently injured and that is why he is absent.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Jeffrey, I believe you missed a few more players from the U20

Big keeper Simon Rayner who last played for U-23s in tho two matches against the US in Jan/Feb. These matches were split. Rayner was with Barry Town in Wales but is looking for a new side I believe. I think he or Feranandez would be our number one keeper at this age.

Waldemar Dutra, a useful midfielder who played for Calgary Storm this year and last we heard was on trial somewhere in Germany possibly with Energy Cottbus.

And finally Chris Lemire, a small speedy forward/winger who plays for the Impact in the A-league. Scored one of the three goals in our victory over the US to get us to the youth world cup. I believe he is currently injured and that is why he is absent.

Quite right. Re Dutra I really don't know enough to say anything. As for Rayner since he is out of contract I don't know what to say. As for Lemire, I think he plays for Storm, but did not know he was injured. I liked his game in the qualifiers as a link between the midfield and the strikers.

Lemire definitely plays for the Montreal Impact, along with U20 teammates Matondo, Di Tullio & Andres Arango (though the latter hasn't seen much time yet, I believe). Lemire, Dutra & Ledgerwood were all with Calgary last year, but not this year (pretty tough for a young club to replace those three guys, though they do have Pesznecker who is with the current squad).

Moving on to the Olympic team, (for which all of these players are eligible), Chris Williams is also with the Impact.

Apparently most of El Salvador's Olympic team has seen plenty of time for the El Salvadoran national team, so we definitely shouldn't take them lightly in that home & home, & call in all of the big guns from Europe. Though the U20 World Cup is only a couple of weeks from that home & home in November, which could lead to some complications.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Other posts indicate it was Josh Simpson who scored after beating three players. Game was tied 1-1 into the 2nd half. Apparently Belotte was subbed out injured & Canada didn't quite look the same after that & the US scored a second goal for the victory.

Lets hope Belotte's injury isn't serious.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

• 1 month later...

Anyone with information on David Simpson? Unless I missed something, he is not even listed on the roster the CSA released prior to the tourney.

yeah I'm dave simpson. I wasn't on the roaster until i played against the men national side in an all start game. I scored by beating a couple of players and scoring. so yeah I'm alrite.

Archived