Stalteri to fly back to Germany on July 17

RS

Found this little tidbit on BigSoccer.com, courtesy of olafgb. It's a translation of a kiker article about the Gold Cup. It seems that no matter how well Canada does at the tournament, our best midefielder goes back to Germany after the quarter-final:

"Stalteri curses scheduling

ARENA RELIES ON CLAUDIO REYNA

“We want to defend the cup”, says US Coach Bruce Arena about the Gold Cup that starts on Saturday. The Americans want to make forget about the Confederations Cup disappointment three weeks ago. With goalie Kasey Keller (33), striker Brian McBride (31) and playmaker Claudio Reyna (29), Arena called up three lately missing veterans. Ten players of the current roster took part in 2002 when Costa Rica was defeated in the final. The former Wolfsburg-player Claudio Reyna had his comeback last week at the 2-0 against Paraguay after a torn ACL.

Next to cup defender and further nine CONCACAF teams, a U23 selection from Brazil (including Dortmund’s Ewerthon) and Colombia are invited as guests to the Gold Cup, the pendant to the European Championships.

The games will be played in the USA and Mexico. For the Mexican coach this tournament could be crucial. Due to bad results since taking over in October, the Argentinean Ricardo Lavolpe, who is criticising lacking support of the association, is facing the situation realistic: “The Mexican soccer is like a ticking bomb.”

As often with continental championships, the scheduling of the Gold Cup is debated. Paul Stalteri curses: “The gentlemen of the confederation have no clue”. The Canadian has to fly today and stop the pre-season at Werder Bremen. Also GM Klaus Allofs curses about the colliding schedule and the German Coach of Canada, Holger Osieck. At the end they found a compromise: Stalteri has to stay until the end of the quarter final and returns on July 17."

There should be no compromise. Stalteri is good enough to command what he does and doesn't do. I can understand (understand, not agree) that players who are on the fringes of the 1st team for their clubs having to compromise with their club.

But Stalteri? He's a 1st team regular, a crucial part of Werder Bremen. They would put him straight back in whether or not he struck a compromise.

We always get shafted.

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

-Rage Against The Machine

Not too bad actually. If we make it that far, it's an opportunity to see if other players can step up to the plate and fill in that role. Obviously, you can't expect a player to always be there for every game.

Reza

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Not too bad actually. If we make it that far, it's an opportunity to see if other players can step up to the plate and fill in that role. Obviously, you can't expect a player to always be there for every game.

YES YOU CAN!!!!! I don't understand that some of us are content shrugging our shoulders and seeing this as a positive. We should stand up to someone for once.

Then again, I'm getting worked up for a rumor.

Mimglow, Ottawa

And to counteract

-Rage Against The Machine

quote:

As often with continental championships, the scheduling of the Gold Cup is debated. Paul Stalteri curses: “The gentlemen of the confederation have no clue”. The Canadian has to fly today and stop the pre-season at Werder Bremen. Also GM Klaus Allofs curses about the colliding schedule and the German Coach of Canada, Holger Osieck. At the end they found a compromise: Stalteri has to stay until the end of the quarter final and returns on July 17."

What is Staltari whining about? People complained when the tournament was in January because it conflicted with club matches. Now that it is in July, Staltari and the clubs still don't want to know about the Gold Cup. Well we should let them decide when its going to take place. Let's see if they can find a three week slot in the calendar to fit in the CONCACAF championship. I suspect they will need to create a 13th month. There's just too many damn club matches.

Confed. Cup aside, the Gold Cup should be held in early June, immediately after the European season. Players would be in top form (although tired), which might increase the calibre of play.

Then players could have their (short) vacation afterward before attending their club's training camp. Some coaches allow players to arrive a little late for training if they were in international competition. They would still be able to join in time for position competition.

Stalteri was pretty disgusted with FIFA (or CONCACAF) over the timing of the Gold Cup (from an article at the Werder Bremen site).

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Stalteri was pretty disgusted with FIFA (or CONCACAF) over the timing of the Gold Cup (from an article at the Werder Bremen site).

Could be posturing. He probably wouldn't want to sound happy about not being with Werder Bremen in front of the Werder supporters.

Mimglow, Ottawa

And to counteract

Rage Against The Machine

Probably a combination of posturing and genuine desire to be with Canada.

FIFA has its rules, but the clubs know that they have many players by the short and curlies and ignore the rules as long as they don't have to cross swords with UEFA or CONEMBOL.

The positive (I'm reaching) is that he should give us passage to the quarter-finals. But, it sticks in my craw that we won't have him if we play the US in the playoffs.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

We may have Stalteri when we play the US, if we play the US in the quarterfinal.

I commend everyone who is trying to look at the bright side (a vital skill for a Canadian soccer fan) and I agree that, if we make it to the semi-final, it will be a good chance to evaluate how well our midfield can function in the absence of both Stalteri and DeGuzman (although, if the January friendly against the US is any indication, the answer is likely to be "not well.") However, I do think that Holger should have pressed our legitimate claim to have Stalteri for the full tournament. It will suck if we have to play, say, Mexico in Azteca in the semi-final without Stalteri when our midfield is already missing DeGuzman, Brennan and Nsaliwa.

Mike D

speaking of brennan....i know hes fast or whatever.....but he plays full back for his club and wouldn't that make him more valuable to us if we played him at the position he plays at year round? this is just an idea more just so i can get the opinions of other ppl who have seen him play more often than me. i find we have quite a few players that play different psitions between club and country. woudn;t it maximize our skills to play the players as they do with their club year round?

i look at klukowski as another example

speaking of brennan....i know hes fast or whatever.....but he plays full back for his club and wouldn't that make him more valuable to us if we played him at the position he plays at year round? this is just an idea more just so i can get the opinions of other ppl who have seen him play more often than me. i find we have quite a few players that play different psitions between club and country. woudn;t it maximize our skills to play the players as they do with their club year round?

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

Careful now, you're making too much sense with that stuff!!

Free the banana cream 3!

Careful now, you're making too much sense with that stuff!!

Free the banana cream 3!

One positive about Brennan's move to Norwich is that he will be playing midfield there.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Has Paul ever turned Canada down? I can't think of any instance out of hand but I dought it. He'll know the internal club politics better than anyone here and if he feels it's necessary to return to Germany before the tourny's over I for one am going to trust his judgment.

Besides, we're speculating on advancing into and beyond the semi's here. Paul's departure might not be any earlier or late than anyone elses. Boy oh boy is it going to sting though if we are missing the man when we need him most. Would be a completely different side without him and impossible to blend his replacement in on such short notice.

I well say this though. One more season like last years for Paul S. and he'll be dictating national team commitment terms to Weder (or whoever) with 100% confidense.

"Minority of one"

The key is that he needs one more good year at Bremen. I doubt he would be 100% secure in his starting role yet.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Has Paul ever turned Canada down? I can't think of any instance out of hand but I dought it. He'll know the internal club politics better than anyone here and if he feels it's necessary to return to Germany before the tourny's over I for one am going to trust his judgment.

Besides, we're speculating on advancing into and beyond the semi's here. Paul's departure might not be any earlier or late than anyone elses. Boy oh boy is it going to sting though if we are missing the man when we need him most. Would be a completely different side without him and impossible to blend his replacement in on such short notice.

I well say this though. One more season like last years for Paul S. and he'll be dictating national team commitment terms to Weder (or whoever) with 100% confidense.

"Minority of one"

"Has Paul ever turned Canada down". The other side on that is of course that Werder Bremen have been outstanding in allowing Paul Stalteri to play for Canada and still develop as a player. If the Bremen coach wants Paul back that badly, surely it's in our best interests to compromise at this time.

Free the banana cream 3!

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

One positive about Brennan's move to Norwich is that he will be playing midfield there.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

to me this is very good news...sicne its clear that Holger won't change his mind...haha

Archived