Biggest Hopes for the Gold Cup

Gian-Luca

Okay, enough of this negative & pessimism, time to accentuate the positive & support those who have been called to the national team. Yes, even the "Council of Elders" (Dasovic, Corazzin & Fenwick) :)

1.Obviously that we win the tournament. But more so, that we do well & look good in doing so, so that people stop using the term "fluke" in conjunction with our team.

2.I hope that we beat the US, and score a couple of goals doing so. I see them as our main rivals, and we are overdue to do both.

3.That this team does really well even with the absence of De Rosario, Radzinski, De Guzman, Nsaliwa, Brennan and Jazic. If this team can perform well without those guys, we can then only dream of how good we'd be with those guys (if such a match could ever happen.) On a similar note, De Guzman's absence means that he still won't have played against the national team of another Concacaf nation that we could possibly face in World Cup or Olympic Qualifying. Perhaps if we all keep quiet about him we can use Julian as our secret weapon in qualifying. :)

4. Somebody other than Fenwick steps up alongside De Vos in Menezes' absence in defence.

5. That Canada scores a lot of goals & the camera's show a bunch of Canadian fans celebrating behind the goal, to prove to Canada that this national team does have some support. [8D]

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

In all honesty, given that we're missing 7 starters and the fact that the US and Mexico will both have home field advantage if/when we face them, I would consider it a very good performance if we win our group, win our quarterfinal and give the Yanks a hard fought match in the semi-final. Even if we lose in the semi-final, we'll most likely get a great opponent in the 3rd-place match, like Brazil or Colombia.

If we come second in our group, we'll most likely have to play the Yanks in the quarterfinal. Either way, I think the key to a good performance would be not letting anybody eliminate us but one of the hosts and, if we do go out to one of the hosts, making them sweat a little in the process.

My biggest hope is that we get to play the Yanks and redeem ourselves after the debacle in January with, at the very least, a creditable effort.

Mike D

Howz about Hirschfeld fully recovering from niggly injurys, showing us that he's improved from his stay in Europe and locking it up as the starting 'keeper.

And,,

Pizzolitto discovering he works wonderfully with JDV and Holger pencils him in as our other center back untell some one else can play him out of that position. (Yes, I know this would eliminate Fenwick as a regular starter and as much as I've been one of his defenders the hard man is reduced to some pretty defensive formations or the subs bench if a more mobile big man can be found).

And,,,

Imhof bounces back from a ho-hum Wolfsburg match, has the tourny of his life and just dares anyone to try coming up the middle of HIS park. Yes, Daniel. You can tackle men with "aggression" and don't worry if he wasn't wearing shin pads that's his fault. What's that? He was wearing shin pads? Good tackle!

And,,,

Big Kev and his big head give Costa Rica big problems.

And,,,

Ian Hume plays lots. He may not help Canada a lot this July but this tourny can only help his development and maybe next July Ian can start returning the favor.

And,,,

The lads play some entertaining football with quality TV coverage and someone lays into Holger, the CSA, and anyone else who's a fault as to why Canada hasn't played a home match since forever during a post game interview from their Mexico game.

And,,,

Canada's media discovers that despite being an ignorant bunch generaly they think this Paul Stalteri fellows one hell of a midfielder and they all start going "Owen Who?"

All of the above, please. Supersize it and more.

"Minority of one"

What I'm hoping for:

1) No crappy refs and assistant refs that can't tell offsides, dives

and back passes. Plus their biases (re: Ecuador).

2) Ian Hume showing us he's the future in WC2006

3) For us to beat the Costa Ricans and the Americans. And surprise the tournament.

4) Kevin McKenna to keep scoring. And point to our section when he does.

:D

5) For Holger to provide more timely subs. Not in the last 5 minutes.

6) For Pat Onstad to perform like Craig Forrest.

7) For more people (from Montreal) to drive down and watch the game live.

Not asking much, right?

"no crappy refs"!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. you realize that this is concacaf right!? we must have the worst referee's in the world. I have only ever seen one good concacaf referee, and that was at the world cup. the rest are biased arseholes. useless. absolutely useless.

there ain't gonna be any middle any more.

1. That when we run into the Americans be it in the semis or the quarters: that we stun the world with an upset straight off of Kevin Mckenna's head. We were so close last time around, and it's been far too long since we've beaten the yanks!

2. That all of the youngsters, especially Hume, Kluko and Canizalez show well. At the very minimum I hope that Holger gives them a fair chance to do so. Somehow I wouldnt be surprised if we hardly saw them at all.

3. That the boys give us something to cheer about when we're down there. Let the goals go in and let the whole country see the Voyageurs celebrate!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

“I've found the smaller, faster players, they're not so fast when they're lying on the grass. It tends to slow them down a bit.” Mark Watson on Japan's speedy Confederations Cup team.

My hopes:

1. A CONCACAF Champion

2. Holger making decisions based on his gut, not the nay-sayers on this board ;)

3. Positive Canadian Football

4. Decent Canadian Press coverage

5. To get into the quarters (at least)

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Biggest hope is a title, followed closely by beating the US. I would love to avoid the coin toss, but secretly it's beyond the point of absurdity and if we win won for the third year in a row, I think I'd actually enjoy it.

I want one clean sheet. I want to see us use more than 11 players during the tournament. I also hope that we don't dip into our bench only because someone is injured.

I hope the ratings are good, the Voyageurs loud and the goals plentiful.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

1. My biggest hope is positive, attacking football from Canada.

2. Next is that, win or lose, none of us can point a finger at a Nat and say "he cost us that goal".

3. And if we fail to win the tournament, that nobody can accuse Gian-luca of "sugar coating" anything when he writes about the positives :)

Of corse, all of the above can be summed up in five words: I hope we play well.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Archived