Match Thread: May 10, 2024 - York United v Valour

https://canpl.ca/article/preview-york-united-vs-valour-fc-2024-match-16

"Valour will be without goalkeeper Jonathan Viscosi on Friday, who is expected to miss a few weeks after suffering an injury against Atlético Ottawa. Raphael Ohin is making progress, but Valour want to pick the right moment to add him back into the lineup, while Roberto Alarćon is also available again." -- not mentioned Samake (likely back) and Williams, Polisi (both almost certainly still out)

"The Nine Stripes, meanwhile, were missing a number of players as they travelled out west to Pacific this past weekend. Orlando Botello has returned to training for the Nine Stripes this week, but Juan Córdova is still out."

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/match-preview-vs-york-united-fc

The preview on the Valour site does not add any additional details, and it appears Ed Tait has given up on trying to accentuate the positive in these weekly postings. Fair enough.

I'm hoping we see a back 3 combination of Facchineri-Mourdoukoutas-Chantzopoulos, not only because of the challenges it will pose to the match announcer, but also because I think this is our best possible combination (Samake is in Haynes territory this season). Will it make a difference? Probably not.

And this season of watching Verhoeven run around and do nothing in particular has done what once seemed impossible: I think I actually miss Polisi.

7 minutes ago, jonovision said:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/match-preview-vs-york-united-fc

The preview on the Valour site does not add any additional details, and it appears Ed Tait has given up on trying to accentuate the positive in these weekly postings. Fair enough.

I'm hoping we see a back 3 combination of Facchineri-Mourdoukoutas-Chantzopoulos, not only because of the challenges it will pose to the match announcer, but also because I think this is our best possible combination (Samake is in Haynes territory this season). Will it make a difference? Probably not.

And this season of watching Verhoeven run around and do nothing in particular has done what once seemed impossible: I think I actually miss Polisi.

Mourdoukoutas' return should help, although I still prefer Samake to Chantzopoulos.  Facchineri, a USports pick, has been Valour's best CB thus far - a pleasant surprise but at the same time a laughable statement on this backline's performance.  Alarćon return will allow Campbell to return to the midfield and place Sukunda on the bench.  Ohin's impending return should get Verhoeven out of the starting lineup.

3 games left on the season starting road trip and results are required from this game and Halifax (I can't see Cavalry game going well from Valour) if there is any chance of finishing the season above 8th place.

I would really appreciate some sort of update on the timeline for Williams, because his contributions are key to having a team that might be able to win a game 2-1 instead of parking the bus and hoping for a lucky goal to win 1-0. 

44 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Is York the latest team Valour rolls over for? Tune in tonight!

The cup result was an embarrassment, almost as bad as last years vs TSS Rovers, but looking at the league performances of the other teams Valour has faced, only the Vancouver result looks truly terrible. The others merely bad, with the performance vs Forge edging into respectable territory.

No idea what's going to happen but Valour paying 3.50 to win and 5.20 to win by one for the more ballsy of us out there.

Even money on cheeta going with salt & pepper wings at the E & C tonight.

Posted (edited)

Alarcon and Tass not healthy enough to start :(, another game with a shaky defense

Didn't see Baj Maan coming!

Samake not in the lineup, still injured?

Edited by K Edgar

34 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Alarcon and Tass not healthy enough to start :(, another game with a shaky defense

I don't think Alarcon missing is a big loss defensively, but I really hope Tass gets a sub appearance longer than the previous one. Campbell really doesn't deserve to be made to look like a bad player just because he keeps getting played out of position.

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

valour goes with baj maan instead of kour as backup...ressurreicao finally starts...ohin doesnt make the 18 and mourdoukoutas on the bench

38 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Haven't been able to find anything about Maan signing. They kept that one quiet. 

1 minute ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Where does the offence come from? Look at Valour’s midfield 3. How many goals or assists have those guys ever registered? I know how many the two who played in the CPL last year had.

Diogo looks like he has a bit of skill, though my early take is that he seems a bit of a lazy player.

1 minute ago, Big_M said:

camera shows dos santos already finishing a bottle of water less than five minutes in...feeling the pressure

PDS may put pressure on himself, as he should, but he has to have as much job security as anyone else in CPL. Wade ain't paying two managers.