2021 The Voyageurs Vote: 24 Under 24 (list revealed)

Shway

25 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Thanks again @Shway for doing this. It was fun and it's cool to see the results. I hope we make this an annual thing. 

Some thoughts:

• There were some surprises, but overall the list seems very reasonable. I think it shows that despite our differing opinions on this player or that, we collectively do a good job of assessing the Canadian player. Good job everyone!
  • Comments on individual players:
    • We seem to be higher on Bassong than Fraser, despite the fact that Liam has double the caps and more than triple the pro matches. Fraser also played a big role in the Nations League win against the US, one of our biggest victories in recent memory. 
    • Scott Kennedy has generated a tremendous amount of excitement on this board, with unanimous calls for him to be called into the next senior camp, and near-unanimous calls for him to be a start for us at CB. Despite that, he came in at 14th behind Miller (9th) and Cornelius (5th).
    • Marcus Godinho has taken big strides in repairing his reputation with the fan base, to the point where he actually came in ahead of Gutierrez, a dual-national who not to long ago looked more likely to play for Chile than Canada.
    • Like Shway mentioned, Dias and Rutty making the top 12 is a little eye catching. I think it speaks to the power of potential.

To add, everyone seems to rate Derek highly as our best young defender, but it seems he’ll find it hard to make the bench of both the caps and cmnt. 

I also think (rightfully so) Olympic qualifiers influenced a lot of these decisions, because if this was done before it would look a lot different.

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

To add, everyone seems to rate Derek highly as our best young defender, but it seems he’ll find it hard to make the bench of both the caps and cmnt. 

I also think (rightfully so) Olympic qualifiers influenced a lot of these decisions, because if this was done before it would look a lot different.

Yeah, I would say a few guys got bumps because of the recent games happening at the time.  Corbeanu deserves a high ranking but I am sure his fancypants debut for the Nats didn’t do his cause any harm.  Same as Tabla - I doubt he gets that high without a solid OQ showing.  

I tried to focus more on upside. I definitely docked points from those I see as 'replacement level,' who maybe have high floors but who will likely end up interchangeable with 4 or 5 others we could call up. I had JMR 3rd, and I'll defend that based on his upside. Johnston for example is already an MLS starter, and I like him, but I don't think he'll ever be our #1 rb. JMR is likely to be very good in a few years, and at best, could become a world class winger. It's subjective, but I'll always value that upside unless I think 2 players' ceilings are similar.