Football Manager 21 - Canadian Megapatch

Hello everyone, so while this year I've joined the SI research team, and so, you no longer need my patch to have access to L1O/PLSQ players since I've added them all in the game (In addition, to setting attributes for all the CanPL players), I am still releasing an annual patch to address inaccuracies with how the game implements the Canadian pyramid (that said, i do acknowledge that my annual cap increases is a bit fanciful).

The Canadian Megapatch revamps the Canadian football pyramid in Football Manager 21, with a plethora of changes that improves the accuracy of the Canadian Premier League and the Voyageurs Cup. League 1 Ontario, Première Ligue de soccer du Québec, and the Alberta Major Soccer League are also added as playable leagues, alongside journalists, coaches, USports/provincial league teams. Faces have also been added for every single CanPL/L1O/PLSQ player. Scroll down for an extended list of changes.

Download file here -> http://yellowsweatygorilla.com/2020/11/26/canadian-megapatch-2021/

For support, come chat about the megapatch in the canpl discord #gaming channel -> https://discordapp.com/channels/350036389905039362

Features:
-Playable L1O, PLSQ, and AMSL
-Canadian media sources and journalists
-Faces for all CanPL, L1O, PLSQ players, as well as, journalists
-Teams from Manitoba, Nova Scotia, and Usports
-USport coaches
-Salary cap for CanPL now increases $250k a year, before being eliminated in 2026
-CanPL finances tweaked to allow for annual growth

Fixes to Base Game:
CanPL
-Correct single table format for 2021 Canadian Premier League
-As only Pacific, Cavalry, and Edmonton have academies, other CanPL teams no longer have youth intakes and will have to rely on signing young players from L1O/PLSQ/AMSL. The quality of newgens have also been improved for those leagues

CONCACAF League/Champions League
-Forge replaces Cavalry as the correct CONCACAF League 2020 representative
-2020 CONCACAF League postponed correctly to October to avoid fixture congestion with Island Games and made single legged
-Corrected CONCACAF League 2020 format with 5th/6th team play-in match
-Fixed bug where 5th and 6th place team calculations for CONCACAF League 2021 – included preliminary round
-If same Canadian team qualifies through CL and CC, the second spot now goes to the other CC finalist instead of drawing a random CL team

Canadian Championship
-2020 Canadian Championship now a single leg match with Island Games winner qualifying, instead of it automating to Forge (Please note, because of editor limitations, the game is scheduled in October 2020 instead of early 2021)
-2021 Canadian Championship now correctly includes PLSQ champion, which was previously left out
-Tweak to club vision to encourage Canadian MLS teams to sign Canadian players (still doesn’t quite work though)

Special thanks to UncleSam, whose continental file I adapted to fix the issues with CONCACAF League.

ImageImageImage

I've had this game for a week now and immediately downloaded this Canadian megapatch.  I'd never played Football Manager before in any edition.  

After a game time 'month' of managing York9 FC I started a new game before even playing a club game.  I chose Masters FA of League 1 Ontario.  

It has been a lot of fun.  Starting at that level has been great for me.  All the players are amateur so I haven't had to worry about budgets.  L1O teams don't play during the 2020 season so it's been nothing but exhibition games against fellow L1O, local university, indy teams, and even CSL (the outlaw league) teams.  

Masters started with no staff like physio nor scout so I 'hired' them.  Also hired an assistant who's makes in-game comments like 'I think you should sub out that guy' and suggests the 'best' comments to make at press conferences (only one reporter has ever shown up because hey it is L1O!) or in dressing room talks.  That has made it easier.  

First few days were hard because I was trying to make decisions and was jammed but realized I was taking a tutorial about that topic as it was the first time that that decision/event had ever happened in my game.  

Also Masters starts with only 17 guys I think and I didn't notice at first there were more guys available (I assume from their academy?) because I hadn't scrolled down far enough.  The league transfer market had other L1O teams raid and took three of my guys.  Also before my first game two of my guys left for national team duty!  (ha Jamaica and Guyana).  

Somehow I acquired Cyrus Rollocks (who in real life played for Masters less than two years ago) coming back to the team and he's by far my leading scorer.  

I'm waiting for one day to have 'Robin Glover from Waking The Red' at a press conference with my cartoon manager Robin Glover (with the permanently mussed hair interview me) and I'll have my 'Alphonso Davies finds out Drake follows him' screaming moment!    

21 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

I've had this game for a week now and immediately downloaded this Canadian megapatch.  I'd never played Football Manager before in any edition.  

After a game time 'month' of managing York9 FC I started a new game before even playing a club game.  I chose Masters FA of League 1 Ontario.  

It has been a lot of fun.  Starting at that level has been great for me.  All the players are amateur so I haven't had to worry about budgets.  L1O teams don't play during the 2020 season so it's been nothing but exhibition games against fellow L1O, local university, indy teams, and even CSL (the outlaw league) teams.  

Masters started with no staff like physio nor scout so I 'hired' them.  Also hired an assistant who's makes in-game comments like 'I think you should sub out that guy' and suggests the 'best' comments to make at press conferences (only one reporter has ever shown up because hey it is L1O!) or in dressing room talks.  That has made it easier.  

First few days were hard because I was trying to make decisions and was jammed but realized I was taking a tutorial about that topic as it was the first time that that decision/event had ever happened in my game.  

Also Masters starts with only 17 guys I think and I didn't notice at first there were more guys available (I assume from their academy?) because I hadn't scrolled down far enough.  The league transfer market had other L1O teams raid and took three of my guys.  Also before my first game two of my guys left for national team duty!  (ha Jamaica and Guyana).  

Somehow I acquired Cyrus Rollocks (who in real life played for Masters less than two years ago) coming back to the team and he's by far my leading scorer.  

I'm waiting for one day to have 'Robin Glover from Waking The Red' at a press conference with my cartoon manager Robin Glover (with the permanently mussed hair interview me) and I'll have my 'Alphonso Davies finds out Drake follows him' screaming moment!    

I am really glad you are enjoying the game! The game does tend to have a steep learning curve, but it's well worth the patience as hardcore football fans! Would love to hear feedback on L1O experience, since I don't expect many to be playing int he lower leagues and I haven't tested it too much (I add it in primarily for the youth intakes).

• 1 month later...

Finally downloaded the game and the patch this past week, and really wanted to thank you and the FM team for the great work. Some of the small changes from FM 20 really make a big difference. The new setup for team meetings and press conferences gives them a much more realistic feel. 

In terms of the patch, I appreciate all of the small issues it fixes, and it's great having real players in the lower leagues, and having real journalists that actually cover CPL adds to the realism as well. 

Had fun managing the Wanderers to an unbeaten run at the Island Games, an upset of TFC on penalties in the Canadian Championship, and to the second round of CONCACAF Champions League before getting dumped by CF America.

In the spirit of constructive feedback, a few questions/ideas for next year:

- I realize it is probably not possible to track U21 minutes in the game in keeping with that CPL rule, but wondering if a rough proxy would be to require teams to carry a minimum number of U21 players on the roster and/or start one each game?

- Is there any way of adding the USports draft to the game? It's a unique feature of the CPL and it would be fun to have it in the game.

- Given that some CPL clubs are looking at adding youth academies and/or U23 sides, can it be an option for next year for a club to add one? (by way of board request)

- I only seem to be able to loan players to other CPL clubs or to an affiliate. Makes it hard to develop younger players. Is there a way to enable loans to lower leagues?

- One thing I found strange was that some post-season transfers had already been entered at the start of the season. GIven that those decisions were presumably made based on how the season unfolded, it seemed odd that they had already been made for us. Not sure if that will be the same next year?

Again, thanks for the great work. Really enjoying the game!

• 11 months later...
4 minutes ago, RJB said:

Has anyone had a go at FM 2022?  I'm curious if the expansion of the CPL happens in the future years of the game as I'd really like to have Saskatchewan and the new Vancouver team in there.

It doesn't in the vanilla game ... but I've got you covered with the 2022 instalment of the megapatch -> https://yellowsweatygorilla.com/2021/11/13/canadian-megapatch-2022/

I've set them to come in in 2023 (a little ambitious for Saskatchewan I know, but I didn't want to have to set up three different competition formats).

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

It doesn't in the vanilla game ... but I've got you covered with the 2022 instalment of the megapatch -> https://yellowsweatygorilla.com/2021/11/13/canadian-megapatch-2022/

I've set them to come in in 2023 (a little ambitious for Saskatchewan I know, but I didn't want to have to set up three different competition formats).

Thank you for your work, I use the megapatch every year and I couldn’t play thé game without it anymore!!!

31 minutes ago, HochelagaFC said:

Thank you for your work, I use the megapatch every year and I couldn’t play thé game without it anymore!!!

thank you.

But heads up, there's a major bug affecting FM right now (vanilla too), where home advantage is set as random (so huge impact for playoffs). I would hold off on starting a new save unless you don't care about that

• 4 months later...