Canadian MLS Players to CPL - Ideas

4 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I agree with posters who suggest that CPL cannot match MLS salaries in particular for younger players with high potential. On the other hand, I agree that playing day in and day out in CPL is better than sitting on the bench during every MLS game. In addition, I would like to see the CPL standard of play continue to improve, and there are some seldom used Canadians in MLS who could help to accomplish that important goal.

It will take some creative salary tactics to facilitate getting some of the Canadians from MLS into CPL. Perhaps there could be a sponsor salary fund provided for each CPL team (like MLS allocation) that could be used asa salary top up fund, to bring in Canadians from MLS. Perhaps MLS and CPL teams could, or do, split the player's salary to the benefit of both teams.

In the end, guys like Jordan Hamilton and Brian Wright would certainly make it harder for CPL defences, and Canadians like Zator, Dunn, and Didic, for example, would have to improve to keep pace. That is good for all. Perhaps CPL could target some guys like Pasher from USL as well.

Cheers!

Where is this allocation money coming from? If it is from the CPL or it’s teams then I am a big NO THANKS on that. Allocation money in MLS is needlessly confusing and silly. I would prefer no salary cap, but I am not strongly opposed to it. But coming up with all these legislative gymnastics to get around the salary cap seems pointless to me. What is the point of a cap if you can spend more than the cap? DPs are another thing lots of people want to see. But if the cap is there to avoid reckless spending, why introduce a reckless spending rule?

I agree that playing day in and day out in CPL is better than sitting on the bench during every MLS game.

Unless you're this guy*

*depends on the player's ambition...highest paycheck possible vs. Best opportunity to move up.

Bigger risks=highest potential rewards

youtube football GIF

It will take some creative salary tactics to facilitate getting some of the Canadians from MLS into CPL. Perhaps there could be a sponsor salary fund provided for each CPL team (like MLS allocation) that could be used asa salary top up fund, to bring in Canadians from MLS. Perhaps MLS and CPL teams could, or do, split the player's salary to the benefit of both teams.

In the end, guys like Jordan Hamilton and Brian Wright would certainly make it harder for CPL defences, and Canadians like Zator, Dunn, and Didic, for example, would have to improve to keep pace. That is good for all. Perhaps CPL could target some guys like Pasher from USL as well.

As a fan I agree.

On the business side, with USL closing the door to Canadians being domestic in Championship, CPL becoming a more accessible league for Canadians increases their bargaining position.

They can easily in reverse convince guys to accept lower wages as CPL becomes  the best bet for a paycheck while providing a chance for young guys to get noticed elsewhere by playing.

I'm not convinced that they are in a hurry to raise the cap just yet (which I hope they do). I can still tell that there are guys that aren't fit for clubs and don't belong in CPL. I think clubs are content to keep looking at the younger untested pool hoping to find gems and those who don't work out won't be renewed.

They can get good quality at a relatively low cost as of now. As long as they feel they can raise the quality within the current cap, (better internationals and domestics at similar cost) they have no reason to spend more.

I don't like it but I get why it might be this way for a while. They are arguably in "expansion mode", now's not the time to skyrocketing the operating costs. You want to get in quality ownership with affordability vs long term ROI as a selling point and lock them in so that later they'll have to follow the pace the league will dictate in the future.

For me CPL 2.0 is right after 2026 World Cup. This is where they might turn up the heat and try to make a leap to a higher level (top4/top3 in CONCACAF - both economics and quality)

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

They can get good quality at a relatively low cost as of now. As long as they feel they can raise the quality within the current cap, (better internationals and domestics at similar cost) they have no reason to spend more.

The reason to spend more is to improve the quality further. Isn’t that what we all want to see? I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the quality so far but I still want to see it improve. And sooner rather than later, so we can really contribute to the World Cup squad. Not just benefit from it 

9 hours ago, Ansem said:

On the business side, with USL closing the door to Canadians being domestic in Championship, CPL becoming a more accessible league for Canadians increases their bargaining position.

When do they close the door to Canadians? I assume not this season since there are a lot of Canadians in the USL. If this occurs at the start of next season I can see a lot of new faces in CPL.

Edited by Ruffian

8 hours ago, Aird25 said:

The reason to spend more is to improve the quality further. Isn’t that what we all want to see? I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the quality so far but I still want to see it improve. And sooner rather than later, so we can really contribute to the World Cup squad. Not just benefit from it 

Yes but they don't have to do it now, they can focus on stability and growth while still have room for improvement under current budgets. Once USL drops Canadians as domestics that potentially more quality guys that will be available to replace the pieces that aren't working right now.

Let's not forget that we all noticed an improvement in quality despite many internationals not making it to Canada. You have to assume that CPL will want another full season with all their internationals and more Canadians coming home to see what the level will look like.

As for contributing to the World cup, CPL will provide better depth than in the past with guys actually playing minutes instead of guys being glued to the bench and unattached. We're still years away to see CPL guys on the starting XI of a World Cup squad, not 2026 but in the 2030s in my opinion when the league goes "2.0"

21 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

When do they close the door to Canadians? I assume not this season since there are a lot of Canadians in the USL. If this occurs at the start of next season I can see a lot of new faces in CPL.

As of 2021, Canadians will no longer be considered "domestic" in USL Championship and will count as "Internationals".

11 hours ago, Ansem said:

As for contributing to the World cup, CPL will provide better depth than in the past with guys actually playing minutes instead of guys being glued to the bench and unattached. We're still years away to see CPL guys on the starting XI of a World Cup squad, not 2026 but in the 2030s in my opinion when the league goes "2.0"

When you are talking about “CPL guys”, are you talking about guys currently on a CPL team, or guys that have been on a CPL team. I would be a bit surprised if by 2026 there isn’t a guy who at least is a somewhat regular starter on the CMNT that has played in the CPL, and eventually it will become the norm of course assuming the CPL lasts. Whether it’s Tristan Borges, or Julian Dunn, or someone that hasn’t played in the league yet. Going forward the majority of guys who go pro will get their start in the CPL, so eventually the majority of CMNT players will get their start in the CPL.

If you are talking about a starter in 2026 still being with a CPL team at that time, yeah that is probably a long shot, and would likely just be if we get a young phenom that walks right into the national team picture.