CPL inaugural match - #1 attended match for 2019?

Robert

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

http://www.logoserver.com/CanadianSL.html 

now that took all of five minutes.  

Google searched "North American Soccer Team logos" and there's the selection.  

Thank you. That's most of them. Could you maybe spare another five minutes to help find the remaining 3 logos:

1) 1987 National Capital Pioneers (Ottawa)

2) 1987/88 Calgary Kickers (After all, they were the first Canadian champions!)

3) 1989 Calgary Strikers

4) Kitchener Kickers

CSLCSL.GIF

EdmontonBrickMenCSL.GIF   FCSupraMontrealCSL.GIF   HamiltonSteelersCSL.GIF   KitchenerSpiritCSL.GIF   

LondonLasersCSL.GIF   NorthYorkRocketsCSL.GIF   NovaScotiaClippersCSL.GIF   OttawaIntrepidCSL.GIF 

TorontoBlizzardCSL.GIF   Vancouver86ersCSL.GIF   VictoriaVistasCSL.GIF   WinnipegFuryCSL.GIF

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Is this thread about logos now?

It is de facto a comparison between the old CSL and the new CPL in an attempt to show, in a beautiful example of a non sequitur, that because things like the location and number of founding clubs and (Robert hopes) initial attendance numbers are similar, the CPL must also fail.

I do not expect any comment on the advent of the internet, the major increase in disposable income, the demographic shift towards people who are more likely to be interested in football, the upcoming hosting of the 2026 World Cup, the different CPL business model, or the substantial financial backing behind the CPL, as these things would serve to disprove his thesis. So, it will be a bit like a BBC political programme then: totally biased and ignoring all contradictory evidence.

Yet he stubbornly refuses to change the very inappropriate thread title -- probably because he knows very well that if titled accurately, nobody would bother to look at it.

18 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

It is de facto a comparison between the old CSL and the new CPL in an attempt to show, in a beautiful example of a non sequitur, that because things like the location and number of founding clubs and (Robert hopes) initial attendance numbers are similar, the CPL must also fail.

I do not expect any comment on the advent of the internet, the major increase in disposable income, the demographic shift towards people who are more likely to be interested in football, the upcoming hosting of the 2026 World Cup, the different CPL business model, or the substantial financial backing behind the CPL, as these things would serve to disprove his thesis. So, it will be a bit like a BBC political programme then: totally biased and ignoring all contradictory evidence.

Yet he stubbornly refuses to change the very inappropriate thread title -- probably because he knows very well that if titled accurately, nobody would bother to look at it.

Amazing!

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

You forgot to mention the complete absence of any recognizable players signed by CPL clubs, something that is bound to attract a  demographic shift towards people who are more likely to be interested in football into CPL stadiums.

In stark contrast, with the exception of the Winnipeg Fury, who signed all amateur players back in 1987, all the other CSL clubs featured players that had represented Canada, several who had played in the 1986 World Cup Final in Mexico.

Don't get me wrong. I hope the CPL succeeds. It would be wonderful for Canadian soccer to have a domestic league that becomes a going concern, however, based on what I have witnessed over the last 50 years following Canadian soccer, I do not believe that the CPL will be around by the time Canada hosts the World Cup in 2026. That is my opinion, and I know that it is not popular one on this board. The main reason I'm against the CPL is because if it fails, it will be the worst possible thing that can happen to soccer in Canada.

As to changing anything on this board, the only thing that I would like to see is a function where the Voyageur who starts a thread also has the ability the block anyone from posting on his/her thread. Blocked Voyageurs would still be able to read whats being posted on that thread, they would just not be able to participate in it. I think that such a function would greatly enhance the overall quality of this forum by increasing civility and eliminating trash-talk, and thus make life much easier on those who monitor these threads.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

You forgot to mention the complete absence of any recognizable players signed by CPL clubs, .....

That was brought home to me a few days back when I checked out the CMNT roster for Canada vs Scotland at Varsity Stadium in Toronto in 1992 in a program I still have from the game. In the absence of a league like MLS, most of the roster were CSL players, while now people talk about whether any CanPL players will get called up at all.

The league has a bit of an identity crisis on the D1 angle in other words and a lot hinges upon how the fanbase reacts to the quality of soccer that can be provided, which will be a lot clearer a year from now when teams will have a clear picture on season ticket renewal rates and how many repeat customers they were getting as the season progressed on single game ticket sales.

Hopefully it works, and there's always USL available for the franchises that can make a go of it, if it doesn't, so overall things are unlikely to get worse than they are now no matter what happens.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That was brought home to me a few days back when I checked out the CMNT roster for Canada vs Scotland at Varsity Stadium in Toronto in 1992 in a program I still have from the game. In the absence of a league like MLS, most of the roster were CSL players, while now people talk about whether any CanPL players will get called up at all.

The league has a bit of an identity crisis on the D1 angle in other words and a lot hinges upon how the fanbase reacts to the quality of soccer that can be provided, which will be a lot clearer a year from now when teams will have a clear picture on season ticket renewal rates and how many repeat customers they were getting as the season progressed on single game ticket sales.

Hopefully it works, and there's always USL available for the franchises that can make a go of it, if it doesn't, so overall things are unlikely to get worse than they are now no matter what happens.

Yeah. That's right. That line-up featured pretty much all household names from a Canadian point of view.

Craig Forrest, Frank Yallop, Colin Miller, Peter Sarantopoulos, Randy Samuel, Nick Dasovic, Carl Valentine, John Limniatis, John Catliff, Domenic Mobilio, Norm Odinga, Nick Gilbert, Alex Bunbury, Lyndon Hooper, Geoff Aunger

image.thumb.png.3892e4292c19ee7fb210996c90f825f1.png  

13 hours ago, Robert said:

Thank you. That's most of them. Could you maybe spare another five minutes to help find the remaining 3 logos:

3) 1989 Calgary Strikers

Calgary-Strikers.jpg

From a game they played against the North York Rockets, which from what I remember after almost 30 years was definitely not worth the trip by Greyhound bus from London, Ont. I think #4 Gregor Young has posted on here in the past and runs the TTP BC soccer forum.

You are also missing the 1991 Kitchener Kickers logo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchener_Kickers

23 minutes ago, gator said:

How about Toronto Inex, anyone have logos or programmes from them?

A team that gave  the 1986 World Cup team players somewhere to play, as most were without a pro club at the time. The NASL had folded in 1984 and the old CSL was still a few years away. Inex was formed and I believe played a series of exhibition games against a few club teams from overseas.

2 minutes ago, 1996 said:

A team that gave  the 1986 World Cup team players somewhere to play, as most were without a pro club at the time. The NASL had folded in 1984 and the old CSL was still a few years away. Inex was formed and I believe played a series of exhibition games against a few club teams from overseas.

I saw them play Everton at Varsity, Bruce Wilson was the player/manager IIRC!

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Calgary-Strikers.jpg

From a game they played against the North York Rockets, which from what I remember after almost 30 years was definitely not worth the trip by Greyhound bus from London, Ont. I think #4 Gregor Young has posted on here in the past and runs the TTP BC soccer forum.

You are also missing the 1991 Kitchener Kickers logo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchener_Kickers

Thanks for catching my over oversight. The search to find a complete set of logos continues. Still looking for colour logos of the following clubs:

3) 1989 Calgary Strikers

4) Kitchener Kickers

2 hours ago, 1996 said:

Can you share some more about this club?

5 minutes ago, Robert said:

This is all I could find:

In 1985 remnants of the Toronto Blizzard team formed a squad sponsored by Inex Soccer Canada Inc. Canadian Men’s National Team player Bruce Wilson was a player coach. Inex ended up playing several friendlies against Everton and Northern Ireland side Linfield F.C. They also played against an European All-Stars team at Varsity Stadium in 1985. The All-Stars ended up winning 2-1. 

Just now, Robert said:

Not much more really,  like I said it was set up by one business guy who I guess was a soccer fan. It looked like he just wanted to give these Canadian players who were headed to the 1986 World Cup in Mexico more games to play. He formed this club and I believe Inex was the company he owned. Can’t remember how many games they played, the only thing I can’t remember is when this team was started. Canada qualified for the 1986 World Cup in the October or November of 1985. So I think the team was formed in early 1986 played a series of games from March to about early May and was disbanded in early May a month or so before the 1986 World Cup started in June in Mexico  I think.

7 minutes ago, gator said:

In 1985 remnants of the Toronto Blizzard team formed a squad sponsored by Inex Soccer Canada Inc. Canadian Men’s National Team player Bruce Wilson was a player coach. Inex ended up playing several friendlies against Everton and Northern Ireland side Linfield F.C. They also played against an European All-Stars team at Varsity Stadium in 1985. The All-Stars ended up winning 2-1. 

Was the team limited to playing exhibition matches, or did it also compete in a league? When and why did the team dissolve or evolve into another entity?

Disregard. You answered the questions above.

Do you recall if they had a logo?

4 minutes ago, gator said:

Oh ok cool that makes more sense,  so they actually started just before the final round of qualifying for the 1986 World Cup in Mexico , rather than after they had qualified .

2 minutes ago, Robert said:

Was the team limited to playing exhibition matches, or did it also compete in a league? When and why did the team dissolve or evolve into another entity?

No I’m pretty sure it was only formed to play exhibition games it did not compete in a league.

4 minutes ago, Robert said:

Disregard. You answered the questions above.

Do you recall if they had a logo?

The team only played exhibition games!

Archived