CPL inaugural match - #1 attended match for 2019?

Robert

Revealed at the York 9 FC pub night in Richmond Hill last night about the travelling support is that they are now looking at 1200-1500  (two weeks ago at another pub night when first announced they were planning on 1000).  

Also announced was an offer that for non-SSH they will be allowed to join the bus ride, ticket in a special section, and ride back for $50.00  

So that's SSHs  Free        casual fans $50.00   

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Revealed at the York 9 FC pub night in Richmond Hill last night about the travelling support is that they are now looking at 1200-1500  (two weeks ago at another pub night when first announced they were planning on 1000).  

Also announced was an offer that for non-SSH they will be allowed to join the bus ride, ticket in a special section, and ride back for $50.00  

So that's SSHs  Free        casual fans $50.00   

Impressive numbers. Not too familiar with Greater Toronto. I do know I didn't like taking $85 cab-rides from Vaughan to Toronto when I was there. Renting a car proved to be much cheaper. How long does that bus ride take? 1/2 an hour?

Canadian Soccer League (Match #2)

Sunday, June 7, 1987 - Varsity Stadium, Toronto, Ontario - Attendance 4,326

Toronto Blizzard ----- 1 (Luis Lufi)

North York Rockets -- 1 (Zoltan Meszaros)

I know the past is irrelevant to most on this board, but this ones for us Old Geezers who still like to reminisce every once in a while.  

Canadian Soccer League (Match #3)

Sunday, June 7, 1987 - Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, British Columbia - Attendance 7,636

Vancouver 86ers ------ 4 (Carl Valentine 2, Ivor Evans, Dominic Mobilio)

Edmonton Brick Men -- 2 (Robert Ongaro, Ray Hudson)

Will Pacific FC break the British Columbia attendance record for an inaugural match?

2 minutes ago, ted said:

Was that meant to be a joke? Canada did not co-host the 1994 World Cup. The first World Cup to be co-hosted was Korea-Japan in 2002.

I was pointing out one of the obvious flaws in Robert's reasoning, in a satirical way.

Yes, I do know Canada did not co-host in 1994!!

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Sunday, June 7, 1987 - Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, British Columbia - Attendance 7,636

Will Pacific FC break the British Columbia attendance record for an inaugural match?

Ooh, that will be a tough one to do. What is the capacity going to be? I think it's between 5-6000. These historical anecdotes are actually kind of cool in that context. It will be interesting to see those comparisons. I think long term is where we'll see the biggest difference.

NOW & THEN

This was how it all began back in 1987:

West Division

Vancouver 86'ers

Ownership: Community-owned, operated by the 380-member West Coast Soccer Society's board of directors.

Coach: Bob Lenarduzzi

Gen. manager: Buzz Parsons

Key players: Goalkeeper Pat Omstad, winger Carl Valentine, defenders Bob Lenarduzzi and Shaun Lothar, midfielders Ivor Evans, Dominic Mobilio, Jamie Lowery.

Playing field: Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, B.C., seating - 4,800.

Season tickets sold: 2,500.

Calgary Kickers

Ownership: Businessmen Ron and Ralph Knipschild.

Coach: Peter Welsh

Asst. coach: Tony Harrison.

Key players: Goalkeeper Sven Habermann, sweeper Greg Kern, fullback Nick Gilbert and striker John Catliff.

Playing field: Mewata Stadium, seating - 7,619.

Season tickets sold: 3,500.

Edmonton Brick Men

Ownership: Businessman Peter Pocklington, who owns Edmonton Oilers, Edmonton Trappers AAA baseball team and former owner of Edmonton Drillers Soccer Club.

Coach: Joe Petroni

Asst. coaches: John Walker, Ross Ongaro, Ray Hudson

Key Players: Midfielders Ray Hudson, Norm Odinga, Drew Ferguson, forwards Ross Ongaro and Diego Castello.

Playing field: Clarke Stadium, seating - 10,000.

Season tickets sold: 400.

Winnipeg Fury

Ownership: Community-owned, operated by the Friends of Winnipeg Pro Soccer board of directors.

Coach: Bobby Cram

Asst. coach: Dave Hogg

Key players: Canada striker Tony Nocita, midfielder Jeff Cambridge and striker Daniel Courtois.

Playing field: University of Manitoba Pan-Am Stadium, seating - 7,000.

Season tickets sold: 500.

East Division

Hamilton Steelers

Ownership: Businessman Mario di Bartolomeo.

Coach: Kevin Grant

Asst. coach: Jimmy Young

Key Players: Goalkeeper Tino Lettieri, Canadian internationals Paul James, Lucio Ianiero, Billy Domazetis and Alex Bunbury.

Playing field: Brian Timmins Park, seating - 5,000.

Season tickets sold: 1,350.

Toronto Blizzard

Ownership: Karston Von Berstebe, owner of the York Hanover Corp.

Coach: Dave Turner

Asst. coach: Hector Ianeiro Sr.

Key players: Goalkeeper Paul Hammond, midfielder Ace Ntsoelengoe, Canadian World Cup ace Randy Ragan and fullback Peter Roe.

Playing field: Varsity Stadium, seating - 21,000.

Season tickets sold: 2,800.

National Capital Pioneers (Ottawa)

Ownership: Businessman Earl Himes, owner of Sport Graphics.

Coach: Bill Thomson

Asst. coach: Sandy Mackie

Key players: Reliable goalkeeper in Don Ferguson, Canada defender Ian Baird, sweeper John Liminitis, midfielder Lyndon Hooper.

Playing field: Aydelu Park, Aylmer, seating - 5,500.

Season tickets sold: 500.

North York Rockets

Ownership: Consortium of eight local businessmen.

Coach: Carmen Marcantonio

Asst. coach: Robert Iarusci

Key players: Defenders Peter Sloly and Mark Byrne, Hungarian youth midfielder Zoltan Meszaros, striker Pat Cubellis.

Playing field: North York Civic Stadium, seating - 4,000.

Season tickets sold: Not released.

Canadian Soccer League (Match #1)

Sunday, June 7, 1987 - Aydelu Park, Aylmer, Quebec - Attendance 2,502

National Capital Pioneers -- 1 (John Roumelis)

Hamilton Steelers ----------- 1 (Bill Domazetis)

Sunday, June 7, 1987 - Mewata Stadium, Calgary, Alberta - Attendance 3,200

Calgary Kickers --- 2 (John Catliff, Chris Daniel)

Winnipeg Fury ----- 1 (Desi Clarke)

Canadian Soccer League (Match #4)

4 minutes ago, Robert said:

Canadian Soccer League (Match #1)

Sunday, June 7, 1987 - Aydelu Park, Aylmer, Quebec - Attendance 2,500

National Capital Pioneers ----- 1 (John Roumelis)

Hamilton Steelers -- 1 (Bill Domazetis)

What does this have to do with the topic of this thread? If you want to take a trip down CSL memory lane, fine, but how about starting a dedicated thread for it instead of cluttering this one with irrelevant posts.

3 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

What does this have to do with the topic of this thread? If you want to take a trip down CSL memory lane, fine, but how about starting a dedicated thread for it instead of cluttering this one with irrelevant posts.

No problem. No more irrelevant CSL memory lane posts from me that show attendance figures which could be used to compare and gauge how well the CPL attendance figures are stacking up. 

7 minutes ago, Robert said:

No problem. No more irrelevant CSL memory lane posts from me that show attendance figures which could be used to compare and gauge how well the CPL attendance figures are stacking up. 

I don't object to your posting CSL attendance numbers Robert. But what do old CSL numbers have to do with the question that is the title of this thread? Perhaps you could change the thread title to something like "Attendance numbers for Old CSL". Then people would know what to expect in the thread.

Since this is your topic, you do have the ability to modify the title.

37 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Not only that — He already posted the attendance for those same 3 matches further up the page.

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Wait a minute is that the Ray Hudson , you know Ray Hudson of Bein Sports fame listed as a goal scorer for the old Edmonton Brickmen of the old CSL? I followed the old CSL back in the day but was not aware Ray Hudson played for Edmonton Brickmen in the old CSL.

I hope no one objects to the following article, which I promise, contains absolutely no irrelevant memory-lane CSL attendance content:

NOW & THEN

The National Capitals Pioneers and the Canadian Soccer League took a giant step towards respectability with the signing of a one-year television agreement with The Sports Network.

The 1987 television schedule calls for live coverage of 12 regular-season Sunday night games, four playoff contests and the championship game Sept. 20.

The CSL and TSN will kick off the inaugural season June 7 with a 3 p.m. match between the Hamilton Steelers and the Pioneers at Aydelu Park in Aylmer.

The Pioneers will appear three more times as TSN's game of the week, on the road July 12 in Winnipeg against the Fury, July 19 in Edmonton against the Brickmen and at home Aug. 2, 7:30 p.m. against the Steelers.

"This is the first time professional soccer has had a game of the week on network television," said Jim Thompson, TSN's director of programming. "Vic Rauter will do the play by play and well-known soccer personality Graham Leggat will be the color commentator."

There will be no local television blackouts.

The Pioneers' owner, Earl Himes, said he is delighted with the deal. "I think it is super and we put this deal together a lot quicker than the CFL put theirs together."

Himes said local hopefuls, who have been undergoing thrice-weekly indoor training with Pioneers' head coach Bill Thompson, are hoping to practice outdoors at Carleton University later this week.

Other teams in the league include the Toronto Blizzard, North York (Ont.) Rockets, Vancouver 86ers, and the Calgary Kickers.

Financial details of the television pact were not released.

The pay-TV sports channel will show 12 regular-season games, four playoff games and the championship game on its soccer package, which begins June 7. The 86ers will be on June 28 against Calgary Kickers, Aug. 9 versus Toronto Blizzard and Aug. 23 against Winnipeg Fury.

Interesting that the topic of mascots has been brought up in this thread, as they are somewhat related to team logos. What's so noticeable about that is Canada's uniqueness when it comes to soccer. For example, our inability to sustain a domestic league for a prolonged period of time. That's not meant to piss anyone off, simply stating an indisputable fact. Another area of Canadian uniqueness in soccer is that over the years I have literally checked out thousands of international soccer clubs in Wikipedia articles, and every one of those clubs has an image of its team logo in the upper right-hand corner of the page. That is, every club in the world except the Canadian clubs that competed in the Canadian Soccer League from 1987 to 1992, with the exception of the Hamilton Steelers. If anyone has the other logos I would be happy to insert these on the appropriate Wikipedia pages if you could paste them in a post on this thread. Thanks in advance.

Canadian Soccer League (logo, 1987 â 92).png

HamiltonSteelersCSL.png

8 hours ago, Robert said:

Interesting that the topic of mascots has been brought up in this thread, as they are somewhat related to team logos. What's so noticeable about that is Canada's uniqueness when it comes to soccer. For example, our inability to sustain a domestic league for a prolonged period of time. That's not meant to piss anyone off, simply stating an indisputable fact. Another area of Canadian uniqueness in soccer is that over the years I have literally checked out thousands of international soccer clubs in Wikipedia articles, and every one of those clubs has an image of its team logo in the upper right-hand corner of the page. That is, every club in the world except the Canadian clubs that competed in the Canadian Soccer League from 1987 to 1992, with the exception of the Hamilton Steelers. If anyone has the other logos I would be happy to insert these on the appropriate Wikipedia pages if you could paste them in a post on this thread. Thanks in advance.

Canadian Soccer League (logo, 1987 â 92).png

HamiltonSteelersCSL.png

Sorry not quite sure what you mean about the logo.

EDIT: Ok I see what you mean. They are lacking the logos.   Probably all got made by the same person at some point maybe?

56 minutes ago, admin said:

Sorry not quite sure what you mean about the logo.

EDIT: Ok I see what you mean. They are lacking the logos.   Probably all got made by the same person at some point maybe?

There have to be more Canadians that care enough about preserving their soccer heritage than that one guy in Hamilton who took the time and effort to make sure the Hamilton Steelers logo got on the Wikipedia page? Try to imagine the following club not having its logo on such page:

Real Madrid CF.svg

2 hours ago, Robert said:

There have to be more Canadians that care enough about preserving their soccer heritage than that one guy in Hamilton who took the time and effort to make sure the Hamilton Steelers logo got on the Wikipedia page? Try to imagine the following club not having its logo on such page:

Well, to be fair.  How many teams in defunct leagues have you looked at where the whole league ended long before web/Wikipedia. 

This seems like something we can easily fix. 

What logos do you need?

Archived