Stance on Qatar 2022

Guest Tg11

Guest Tg11
1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

No we don’t need a draw against Mexico we need to beat teams like Costa Rica or USA which while hard is possible 

That is true but Costa Rica and USA their talent compared to Canada's though like there's no contest. I mean USA are always gonna be a juggernaut in CONCACAF but with Costa Rica they are more or less still dangerous but most of their talent is getting older too. I will give it to Canada they have depth probably for the first time in a while Canada look good but they are young. 

Guest Tg11
1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

Lets not  forget  Honduras  they  have  been a thorn to our side fir years.

Yes they have and mind you Honduras missed out on Russia 2018 barely because they lost in that playoff against Australia and if they hadn't they would have been in Russia instead of Australia. Not to mention Honduras is a big team another one in CONCACAF that Canada would have to overcome to try to qualify for Qatar 2022.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:43 AM, matty said:

Winter World Cup would likely get the fuck kicked out of it by NHL, NBA, NFL and college football in Canada and the US when it comes to ratings. Somehow NBA highlights will out perform Serbia vs. Uzbekistan.

We will see  Most  of the games will be played in the early morning and early afternoon  Canada time . I believe there is a 9 hour time difference with Qatar So Hockey Football Basketball will still have prime time viewing .Weekends will be interesting though

11 hours ago, gigi riva said:

We will see  Most  of the games will be played in the early morning and early afternoon  Canada time . I believe there is a 9 hour time difference with Qatar So Hockey Football Basketball will still have prime time viewing .Weekends will be interesting though

Yeah for Qatar 2022 I think we will get roughly the same start times for games by that I mean games being played at 7am, 10 am and 2pm so that way it doesn't really interfere with NHL, NBA or NFL on weekdays. However you're right about the weekend schedule I don't know how that is gonna work.

However, back to the actual subject of Qatar 2022 most people are in disagreement of a Winter World Cup. I think it is safe to assume. However, I don't think FIFA is gonna care one iota. If they did they would have stripped Qatar of the 2022 FIFA World Cup and given it to another country for them to host it.

That being said here is an interesting article for you all to read:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/football/world-cup/world-cup-2018-crowd-trends-in-moscow-set-to-spark-qatar-2022-rethink/news-story/5eed7b31567a6ba54918103d1a1a3347

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thrillist.com/amphtml/news/nation/next-world-cup-2022-qatar

8 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Yeah for Qatar 2022 I think we will get roughly the same start times for games by that I mean games being played at 7am, 10 am and 2pm so that way it doesn't really interfere with NHL, NBA or NFL on weekdays. However you're right about the weekend schedule I don't know how that is gonna work.

Who has the rights for 2022 is it TSN or CBC

That's great Qatar 2022 being on TSN/CTV just like how Canada-USA-Mexico 2026 will be on TSN/CTV/FS1 I just love that these networks will have the rights. Yeah for Russia 2018 the games came on fairly early but for Qatar 2022 since it is a 9 hour time difference like you said before then it wouldn't surprise me if we even had 5am or 6am games for Qatar 2022. 

Now back to the 2022 FIFA World Cup do I think Canada have a chance at qualification? To be honest if they make it to the Hex in 2022 then they have a really good chance but only if they manage to get into the Hex. What matters most is actually getting off to a good start as far as winning qualifiers at home but also winning qualifying games on the road because that is what is key for us ultimately getting to Qatar.

Plus getting to the Hex we would have to beat teams like Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Guatemala, El Salvador, Haiti, etc. who would probably be our biggest competition as far as actually getting to the final Hex round

Now as far as the actual final Hex round to determine qualification then we would have to worry about getting results against Mexico, USA our neighbors, Costa Rica, Panama and Honduras because those 5 are probably the strongest teams in CONCACAF right now bar none. Canada do they have what it takes to beat Mexico? Or do they have what it takes to beat the Americans our rivals who as far as depth have probably the second best depth chart in CONCACAF? Or do they have what it takes to beat Costa Rica, Panama and Honduras in a Final Hex Round? Mind you all 5 here in this Hex have World Cup pedigree/experience with talent loaded within their squads. Granted Canada have probably an increased depth pool as far as players go in recent memory but is even that enough to compete for 2022 realistically?

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

RDS,TSN & CTV have the FIFA rights until 2026. (For everything except the Club World Cup)

I can see CTV doing all the weekend games while TSN do both weekend and week day games. But then who knows what TV viewing will look like in 2022

39 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

I can see CTV doing all the weekend games while TSN do both weekend and week day games. But then who knows what TV viewing will look like in 2022

Yeah I see that too for 2022 with CTV /FS1/FS2 getting weekend games but I can see TSN getting majority of games as far as broadcasting.

• 1 year later...

The stadium events have been fine since the stadium temp is controlled with air conditioning. Didn't see any issues with athletes or people in attendance when I watching over the weekend. Stadium scenario more applicable to the WC vs running the marathon outside after midnight because it is too hot and humid.

But attendance was weak, so WC will need lots of visitors to fill the stadiums. Events are also held very late to escape the heat, so we'll able to see matches probably as late as 3-4 ET - though players/coaches will likely complain about matches starting at 2300 or midnight.  But Champions League matches have started at 2am in Russia to be more tv friendly.

Edited by red card