Stance on Qatar 2022

Guest Tg11

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

Canada has never been on the world stage since Mexico 86 and if they do qualify for Qatar 2022 yeah it will be 36 years since they have last been there. However, Canada playing in a Winter World Cup definitely would be something to see that's for sure especially if they qualify in the next 4 years. Canada definitely have the talent to qualify for Qatar but in the Hex going up against superior teams who have talent especially in the CONCACAF region like Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Honduras, etc. let me ask you do you think Canada has what it takes to qualify over those teams? I am posing that question to you especially with the depth Canada has now as opposed to recent memory.

Right  now  No ,   But  lets  see  what  progresses  over  the  next  couple  of  years .  Canada  has  got  better  but  so  has  the  likes of  Honduras, Haiti, Jamaica,  etc. Next year  Gold Cup  should  be a good indicator on where we stand I think.

I do think we are better than Panama, El Salvador, but Fucking dirt bag Honduras seems  to  be  our bogey team. I think Canadian mens teams  have a certain mental block when it  comes  to  games. We need a certain attitude change asap.

Guest Tg11
4 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

I do think we are better than Panama, El Salvador, but Fucking dirt bag Honduras seems  to  be  our bogey team. I think Canadian mens teams  have a certain mental block when it  comes  to  games. We need a certain attitude change asap.

Exactly which is why I keep saying with Canada they hold themselves back from being great because of the fact that they can't get to see it together psychologically/mentally.

Guest Tg11
9 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

If  Canada can qualify for  Qatar we need to get points against the big three , USA, Mexico,and Costa Rica. Both home and on the road. Right now I cannot see it happening.

Exactly if Canada even hopes to have a chance at qualifying for 2022 they need to have big game results against USA, Mexico and Costa Rica at home and on the road but it is like those 3 teams have Canada's number whenever they go up against Canada.

Guest Tg11
14 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

Right  now  No ,   But  lets  see  what  progresses  over  the  next  couple  of  years .  Canada  has  got  better  but  so  has  the  likes of  Honduras, Haiti, Jamaica,  etc. Next year  Gold Cup  should  be a good indicator on where we stand I think.

Exactly I see Jamaica and Honduras getting better and I think to myself that one of those teams could qualify for 2022. I mean Honduras almost qualified for Russia but lost in the playoff to Australia and well Jamaica they have been to back to back Gold Cup Finals competing in the Final but losing.

If we  want to improve in Soccer our attitude, organization, from top to bottom needs to change asap. So far  we are moving in the right direction but  we need to do a lot of work. I wish we had that Hockey mentality with our Soccer, and I am not talking about the Don Cherry type mentality more of the Wayne Gretzky, Scottie Bowman, Rocket Richard mentality

Guest Tg11
3 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

If we  want to improve in Soccer our attitude, organization, from top to bottom needs to change asap. So far  we are moving in the right direction but  we need to do a lot of work. I wish we had that Hockey mentality with our Soccer, and I am not talking about the Don Cherry type mentality more of the Wayne Gretzky, Scottie Bowman, Rocket Richard mentality

Yes a lot of work has to be done especially if Canada wants to qualify for 2022 not even just 2022 but being co-hosts in the next 8 years with Mexico and USA Canada if they want to be seen among the world's elite then yeah they are gonna have to pour more money not just into the men's program but they need to hire competent coaches too. They need to be playing more competitive fixtures together as a team but also have that spirit, that unity that Canadian men's teams have seemed to lack for decades.

A good example  to  look at  would be Japan  30 years ago  the sport was not even a mention and was way behind baseball in terms of popularity but some how with a little hard work and huge corporate help they  have become a SOCCERPOWER in ASIA qualifying for world cups and having players play in top leagues

Guest Tg11

But the thing with Canadians is that they have very little work ethic especially when it comes to soccer for the men's program and not enough corporate help. I mean if they were to work hard for each other play together develop that team spirit and unity but also have more money invested into their program for the men especially developing players at each age level then yes Canada could become a future soccer powerhouse in CONCACAF but that is only if the CSA takes more damn initiative which is what they haven't done and aren't doing.

Guest Tg11
1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

If we  do work  hard on the field and show results Believe me we will see corporate support come our way.

Yeah which is why I keep saying Canada cannot seem to get it together which is why I see us missing out on Qatar 2022

5 hours ago, gigi riva said:

A good example  to  look at  would be Japan  30 years ago  the sport was not even a mention and was way behind baseball in terms of popularity but some how with a little hard work and huge corporate help they  have become a SOCCERPOWER in ASIA qualifying for world cups and having players play in top leagues

I’m no anthropologist but one might suggest co-hosting a World Cup in 2002 might have have had something to do with the rise of soccer culture and success in Japan. 

Canada usually plays the US tough...being an American married to a Canadian I always pay attention closely to those games....I think its very possible Canada can take points off the US even in an away game

Canada's got to be able to get points on the road in Central America consistently and then beat those teams at home..they did better last cycle at that but the tie away at a terrible El Salvador squad was the killer....it forced a result at Honduras which is still the boogeyman...

Guest Tg11
1 hour ago, mrstepp817 said:

Canada usually plays the US tough...being an American married to a Canadian I always pay attention closely to those games....I think its very possible Canada can take points off the US even in an away game

Canada's got to be able to get points on the road in Central America consistently and then beat those teams at home..they did better last cycle at that but the tie away at a terrible El Salvador squad was the killer....it forced a result at Honduras which is still the boogeyman...

I doubt that especially with the quality the USA have vs the quality we have. In order for Canada to get a result against USA best they could hope for is a draw because against USA Canada can't beat the USA. Canada has to beat the big teams in order to qualify for Qatar 2022 but Canada can't do it on the road or even at home.

2 hours ago, Tg11 said:

I doubt that especially with the quality the USA have vs the quality we have. In order for Canada to get a result against USA best they could hope for is a draw because against USA Canada can't beat the USA. Canada has to beat the big teams in order to qualify for Qatar 2022 but Canada can't do it on the road or even at home.

We get results at home. Just not against Mexico

Edited by matty

9 hours ago, Tg11 said:

But the thing with Canadians is that they have very little work ethic especially when it comes to soccer for the men's program and not enough corporate help. I mean if they were to work hard for each other play together develop that team spirit and unity but also have more money invested into their program for the men especially developing players at each age level then yes Canada could become a future soccer powerhouse in CONCACAF but that is only if the CSA takes more damn initiative which is what they haven't done and aren't doing.

There is a ton of private money invested in Canadian soccer and player development (MLS academies for example) and corporate backing for the whole program (All State, Bell, Toyota, TSN, Umbro) but the issue is it's unfocused and works towards nothing essentially (too much drop off of talent). They're finally correcting the course with things like CPL and the tier 3s (hey look more money being invested) and adapted MLS and USL roster rules.

The issue isn't exactly our program is a total fucking nightmare (see the U15 results) but that it's too focused in certain regions and lacked a real top and mid section for development.

Guest Tg11
50 minutes ago, matty said:

We get results at home. Just not against Mexico

Yeah Canada can't seem to get over the hump that is Mexico because if they could do that then maybe just maybe they could finally qualify for a FIFA World Cup but Mexico will always have Canada's number

Guest Tg11
33 minutes ago, matty said:

There is a ton of private money invested in Canadian soccer and player development (MLS academies for example) and corporate backing for the whole program (All State, Bell, Toyota, TSN, Umbro) but the issue is it's unfocused and works towards nothing essentially (too much drop off of talent). They're finally correcting the course with things like CPL and the tier 3s (hey look more money being invested) and adapted MLS and USL roster rules.

The issue isn't exactly our program is a total fucking nightmare (see the U15 results) but that it's too focused in certain regions and lacked a real top and mid section for development.

Here is hoping that at least changes from now going into 2022 and ultimately 2026 because we are gonna be hosting well co hosting the biggest showpiece that only comes around once every 4 years

12 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Yeah Canada can't seem to get over the hump that is Mexico because if they could do that then maybe just maybe they could finally qualify for a FIFA World Cup but Mexico will always have Canada's number

Mexico has every concacaf teams number. Not really something to worry about we just have to be able to beat the other teams.

The only teams that are able to take results off Mexico consistently in competitive situations are US and the Ticos and most of the time those results are outside of Azteca...although in an odd twist last cycle US lost to Mexico at home and then tied Mexico away

Edited by mrstepp817

Guest Tg11
29 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Mexico has every concacaf teams number. Not really something to worry about we just have to be able to beat the other teams.

Yeah but even then if you think Canada can take points off of Jamaica, Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and most importantly the USA then it won't happen

Guest Tg11
23 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

The only teams that are able to take results off Mexico consistently in competitive situations are US and the Ticos and most of the time those results are outside of Azteca...although in an odd twist last cycle US lost to Mexico at home and then tied Mexico away

Even so Canada would have to at least get a draw against Mexico but even that is impossible given the quality Mexico have. Canada if they became more defensive like for example playing the Swiss, German or Italian way in CONCACAF in terms of defense first then they could get results against the big teams in the CONCACAF.

25 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

Even so Canada would have to at least get a draw against Mexico but even that is impossible given the quality Mexico have. Canada if they became more defensive like for example playing the Swiss, German or Italian way in CONCACAF in terms of defense first then they could get results against the big teams in the CONCACAF.

No we don’t need a draw against Mexico we need to beat teams like Costa Rica or USA which while hard is possible