1986 vs. 2026

Robert

When Canada qualified for the 1986 World Cup Final, the tournament featured 24 countries.

When Canada co-hosts the 2026 World Cup Final, the tournament will feature 48 countries.

Therefore, would Canada have to make the round of 16 in 2026 to have a more successful tournament then the 1986 squad?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Robert said:

When Canada qualified for the 1986 World Cup Final, the tournament featured 24 countries.

When Canada co-hosts the 2026 World Cup Final, the tournament will feature 48 countries.

Therefore, would Canada have to make the round of 16 in 2026 to have a more successful tournament then the 1986 squad?

Nah. Just score a goal or let in under 5 goals or get a draw (shootout or whatever they're doing by then)

Canada if they lose their first match in 2026 in their 3 team group they would essentially have to win their 2nd group game by a considerable margin to stay in the World Cup depending on the other 2 teams in the group and where they are standings wise. Basically it will come down to goal difference in 2026 to determine which 2 teams go through to the Round of 32. 

Well also because it is a new format with 48 teams with only 3 teams in a group and top 2 advance it just adds to the unpredictability of the World Cup. Basically the magnitude of group stage games will be of more importance since your side can't even afford to lose even one game so goals for/goals against will be as important then as it has ever been before.

Plus if we are given automatic qualification it will be our second ever appearance at a FIFA World Cup. Hell, it will be our first FIFA World Cup appearance in over 40 years which is a hell of a long time. Compared to our 1986 squad I am sure our 2026 squad by then will be miles better.

If Herdman is not the coach by 2026 then I can only imagine who the CSA hires for the job.

I'd say even before 2026 is too qualify for 2022 which I'm really thinking will make a difference for 2026:

2022:

-Get experience in World Cup format and the media, intensity, competitiveness for players such as Davies, Larin, Millar, etc. who will play in both World Cup.

- Score a goal. Very doable with 3 games to do it and VAR making penalties more common. Should be easy but I still remember the 2007 U20 World Cup when we hosted it and we went 0-3-0 and couldn't even score a goal..

- Get a result. Draw more likely but if we won a game I can't even imagine how awesome that would be. Historic. 

2026:

- Higher expectations do to experience in 2022 and hosting.

- Players like Davies and Millar will be in there prime and ready to buzz

- Finish 2nd in the 3 team group (maybe 1st but this is Canada soccer so got to have reasonable expectations)

- Compete in the knockout format and hopefully win a game or two and make the country proud!

If the World Cup in 2026 goes to groups of 3 teams, then after the first game of the group play the second games will be unwatchable , get ready for every second game being just kick abouts like the last part of the Japan Poland game today or most of the France Denmark game yesterday where teams will know that a tie for both teams will get them through, so all they will do is just pass the ball back and forth and waiste time to get a tie. Knowing FIFA and how corrupt and stupid they are they will still stick with a 3 team division setup even knowing that this will go on with 3 team divisions, it will be unwatchable after the first games .

12 hours ago, canadasoccer20 said:

I'd say even before 2026 is too qualify for 2022 which I'm really thinking will make a difference for 2026:

2022:

-Get experience in World Cup format and the media, intensity, competitiveness for players such as Davies, Larin, Millar, etc. who will play in both World Cup.

- Score a goal. Very doable with 3 games to do it and VAR making penalties more common. Should be easy but I still remember the 2007 U20 World Cup when we hosted it and we went 0-3-0 and couldn't even score a goal..

- Get a result. Draw more likely but if we won a game I can't even imagine how awesome that would be. Historic. 

2026:

- Higher expectations do to experience in 2022 and hosting.

- Players like Davies and Millar will be in there prime and ready to buzz

- Finish 2nd in the 3 team group (maybe 1st but this is Canada soccer so got to have reasonable expectations)

- Compete in the knockout format and hopefully win a game or two and make the country proud!

My exact sentiments because I was even about to go in depth on what Canada should do between 2022 and 2026. Great minds think alike.

10 hours ago, 1996 said:

If the World Cup in 2026 goes to groups of 3 teams, then after the first game of the group play the second games will be unwatchable , get ready for every second game being just kick abouts like the last part of the Japan Poland game today or most of the France Denmark game yesterday where teams will know that a tie for both teams will get them through, so all they will do is just pass the ball back and forth and waiste time to get a tie. Knowing FIFA and how corrupt and stupid they are they will still stick with a 3 team division setup even knowing that this will go on with 3 team divisions, it will be unwatchable after the first games .

It would have made more sense to have 12 groups of 4 teams in every group and 3 group games with 2 teams advancing. However, it would not be logical if you do the math. Because then you would have a Round of 24 which would make no sense. However, 16 groups of 3 teams and top 2 advancing...2 × 16= 32

That makes more sense because you would have 32 teams in the next round and for FIFA that makes more sense than 24 in the knockouts.

Furthermore, in 2026 the games will have more meaning to them rather than group stage games not being as important. Meaning for Canada there's no margin for error.

11 hours ago, 1996 said:

Bang on! I remember the 1982 World Cup, in Spain, when West Germany and Austria pulled that same stunt by silently agreeing on the outcome of their match.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gijón

I doubt in 2026 we will see collusion within the 3 team groups. Because not only is everyone playing for at least 2 wins in the 2 group games but in the Round of 32 you will most likely avoid the big teams if you finish 1st in the group which is what Canada should be aiming for. If they finish 2nd it will all be a formality that Canada draws a big team in the Round of 32.

I even wonder who Canada's stars will even be come 2026. I mean of course there is Davies, Piette and Millar but for all we know more stars could break into the team. To think all these guys could be going up against elite players like Neymar, Salah, Pulisic, Werner, Sane, Mbappe, Griezmann, Dybala, Coutinho, Kane, just to name a few

2 hours ago, Tg11 said:

It would have made more sense to have 12 groups of 4 teams in every group and 3 group games with 2 teams advancing. However, it would not be logical if you do the math. Because then you would have a Round of 24 which would make no sense. However, 16 groups of 3 teams and top 2 advancing...2 × 16= 32

That makes more sense because you would have 32 teams in the next round and for FIFA that makes more sense than 24 in the knockouts.

Furthermore, in 2026 the games will have more meaning to them rather than group stage games not being as important. Meaning for Canada there's no margin for error.

Two things here if you have 12 groups of 4 you can have the top two teams go through plus the 8 best 3rd place teams. Secondly while the games might mean more to Canada it’s not going to stop them or any other team from playing boring soccer for 90 minutes if it means both teams go through.

Thinking about the math I made a mistake in 12 groups of 4 and top 2 teams advance there would be 24 teams but you can have the 8 best 3rd placed teams go into Round of 32. Yes you are right. I don't even know why I didn't think of that.

As far as stadiums goes apparently after seeing some of the expansion renovation design ideas online it seems some of the stadiums look promising

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

12 groups of 4 with every team playing 3 games in the Group Stage and the 8 best 3rd Place teams playing with the 24 other teams to make a Round of 32 makes a better format than 16 groups of 3 with top 2 advancing

You’ve repeated yourself here I don’t know if it was unintentional or not but also you could’ve just liked my response to you which gave you that idea.

I am basically saying it is a good idea that you came up with but seeing as how FIFA didn't use this idea they should for future World Cups after 2026 should they keep the 48 team format

Canada not being a football nation in the eyes of many as far as football legends of the game makes sense. I mean we haven't been to a FIFA World Cup in how many decades? I think that is a fair assessment. However, the reason for that is that more or less our other sports have taken precedence. But now that is all about to change. I mean think about what the 1994 FIFA World Cup did for USA? It helped grow the game in USA as a whole. USA more or less became a powerhouse nation as far as CONCACAF by the formation of the league MLS and through development of players at every age level but their program more or less grew but it didn't overnight. It obviously took time. With Canada as a footballing nation if it wants to truly develop as a CONCACAF powerhouse for years to come then obviously they have to put more stock in the CPL and truly develop kids of all ages from every level in every province all over this country.

We do not have any more time because 2026 is 8 years away. If you want to compete against the world's best against the world's elite...grassroots movement is essential to this footballing program. Not to mention probably hiring a European manager or a former Canadian player who actually played for the national team to be the manager will be best or could prove beneficial especially come 2026 depending on who they go with they could employ a new style of play within this team, a stronger work ethic and because who knows if in 8 years Herdman will still be here.

17 hours ago, 1996 said:

I hope Fifa reconsider and  eliminate that stupid system of groups of 3 teams 

5 hours ago, Tg11 said:

I doubt in 2026 we will see collusion within the 3 team groups. Because not only is everyone playing for at least 2 wins in the 2 group games but in the Round of 32 you will most likely avoid the big teams if you finish 1st in the group which is what Canada should be aiming for. If they finish 2nd it will all be a formality that Canada draws a big team in the Round of 32.

You doubt you’ll see collusion? FIFA was built on and continues to exist on collusion and bribery.

Archived