1986 vs. 2026

Robert

21 hours ago, canadasoccer20 said:

I'd say even before 2026 is too qualify for 2022 which I'm really thinking will make a difference for 2026:

2022:

-Get experience in World Cup format and the media, intensity, competitiveness for players such as Davies, Larin, Millar, etc. who will play in both World Cup.

- Score a goal. Very doable with 3 games to do it and VAR making penalties more common. Should be easy but I still remember the 2007 U20 World Cup when we hosted it and we went 0-3-0 and couldn't even score a goal..

- Get a result. Draw more likely but if we won a game I can't even imagine how awesome that would be. Historic. 

2026:

- Higher expectations do to experience in 2022 and hosting.

- Players like Davies and Millar will be in there prime and ready to buzz

- Finish 2nd in the 3 team group (maybe 1st but this is Canada soccer so got to have reasonable expectations)

- Compete in the knockout format and hopefully win a game or two and make the country proud!

Ah, to be BO-20 (Barely Over) again, like I was back in 1986. Some of the oddsmakers had lines of 70 to 1 that Canada wouldn't score a goal in three games. Just as tempting now as it was then. Several oddsmakers ended up cleaning up on a few Canadian. Lucky for me, I couldn't find a bookie back then.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canada will have expectations there is no way around that. The pressure of being one of the co-hosts for this tournament which comes only once every 4 years is obviously gonna be high but will the boys in red and white be able to handle the pressure? I mean they are gonna be playing at home most likely for both of their group games and depending on who Canada gets in their group Canada could be in store for some hard games. Nothing easy for Canada. I can only imagine the FIFA anthem playing as the players come on to the field from the tunnel and the flags out there on the field with the World Cup emblem logo too and then the national anthems playing it will definitely be a sight to see. I can imagine the roar once Canada's national anthem hits and the whole stadium depending on where Canada's game is whether it be at BMO Field (Toronto), Olympic Stadium (Montreal) and or Commonwealth Stadium (Edmonton) the fans will definitely be loud that's for sure.

Notice how at every FIFA World Cup they would have something to distinguish the crowd like for example in 2010 in South Africa they had vuvuzelas playing during every single game so I can only imagine what will be playing in the crowd once Canada plays.

Thinking about it now...whoever said that collusion would not happen well I hate to say it but you may be right. Now the format is 48 teams; 3 teams in every group; 16 groups of 3 and top 2 advance. The risk of collusion will be much higher. In many cases, the two teams playing the last game in the group will know exactly what results will let them both advance to the knockout stage — at the expense of the third team of the group. Basically it would be like Spain 82 all over again.

11 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Thinking about it now...whoever said that collusion would not happen well I hate to say it but you may be right. Now the format is 48 teams; 3 teams in every group; 16 groups of 3 and top 2 advance. The risk of collusion will be much higher. In many cases, the two teams playing the last game in the group will know exactly what results will let them both advance to the knockout stage — at the expense of the third team of the group. Basically it would be like Spain 82 all over again.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/10/48-team-world-cup-fifa-plan-2026

It seems unlikely

Either that or we’ll have a massive load of bus-parking like in Euro 2016

Yes, maybe. And there’s also the risk of the two teams playing the last match knowing that a particular result would send them both through. Though one, currently unconfirmed, proposal that has been bouncing around the corridors of Fifa HQ is that every group game would have to end in a positive result. In other words, if you’re drawing at full-time, the game goes to penalties.

If the game goes into penalties I don't think that is such a bad idea but would they really go about doing penalty shootouts in the group stage? I don't think so even though it would be a great way to add drama

55 minutes ago, matty said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/10/48-team-world-cup-fifa-plan-2026

It seems unlikely

Either that or we’ll have a massive load of bus-parking like in Euro 2016

Yes, maybe. And there’s also the risk of the two teams playing the last match knowing that a particular result would send them both through. Though one, currently unconfirmed, proposal that has been bouncing around the corridors of Fifa HQ is that every group game would have to end in a positive result. In other words, if you’re drawing at full-time, the game goes to penalties.

How can FIFA consider it to be fair playing one of the three group matches using knock-out stage rules. After 88 years of World Cup tournaments, this current FIFA president and all of the vice-presidents have not been able to figure out that a tournament which is not comprised of a number of countries to the power of 4 is going to be flawed. Unless a World Cup Final tournament consists of 4, 8, 16, 32 or God-forbid 64 countries, FIFA will have to resort using a percentage of third-place countries advancing from the knock-out stages, or form groups of three countries as they will adopt for the 2026 World Cup.

12 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Do you think it would be an advantage for Canada to play or not play in the third of the three group matches. Teams not playing in the third matches of the group stage would have the benefit of four more days rest before their next match if they advance, but on the other hand, their fate could be jeopardized by collusion if they don't play in the third match.

Would ever happened to that FIFA edict of Fair Play?

27 minutes ago, Robert said:

Do you think it would be an advantage for Canada to play or not play in the third of the three group matches. Teams not playing in the third matches of the group stage would have the benefit of four more days rest before their next match if they advance, but on the other hand, their fate could be jeopardized by collusion if they don't play in the third match.

Would ever happened to that FIFA edict of Fair Play?

I think it would be kind of a disadvantage to Canada to play in the third of the three group matches because Canada's fate would be out of their hands. Yes I know right, whatever happened to Fair Play? However, to answer your earlier question again I guess yes it could be a disadvantage however it can also be an advantage too if you weigh both sides because if you think about it considering if Canada win their games by a considerable margin then it really works in their favor well depending on results.

2 hours ago, Robert said:

How can FIFA consider it to be fair playing one of the three group matches using knock-out stage rules. After 88 years of World Cup tournaments, this current FIFA president and all of the vice-presidents have not been able to figure out that a tournament which is not comprised of a number of countries to the power of 4 is going to be flawed. Unless a World Cup Final tournament consists of 4, 8, 16, 32 or God-forbid 64 countries, FIFA will have to resort using a percentage of third-place countries advancing from the knock-out stages, or form groups of three countries as they will adopt for the 2026 World Cup.

However ... ? a 64-country World Cup Final would be a realistic possibility if ... the group stage was eliminated and it a knock-out format was adopted right from the start. No draws. No collusion. Upsets would mean something, as smaller countries would have a real chance to advance. More countries could realistically host the tournament. There would be less qualifiers to disrupt domestic competitions. No need for co-hosting a Final. Could stage a World Cup tournament every two years instead of every four years. Of course all the big soccer powers would oppose such a format as they could be eliminated after just one match. 

2 hours ago, Tg11 said:

I think it would be kind of a disadvantage to Canada to play in the third of the three group matches because Canada's fate would be out of their hands. Yes I know right, whatever happened to Fair Play? However, to answer your earlier question again I guess yes it could be a disadvantage however it can also be an advantage too if you weigh both sides because if you think about it considering if Canada win their games by a considerable margin then it really works in their favor well depending on results.

Maybe all of the seeded countries should play the first and third match in the group stage of the 2026 World Cup Final, as those are supposedly the countries that FIFA want to see advance to the next round, which is the sole reason behind seeding process in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Robert said:

Maybe all of the seeded countries should play the first and third match in the group stage of the 2026 World Cup Final, as those are supposedly the countries that FIFA want to see advance to the next round, which is the sole reason behind seeding process in the first place.

Yeah and since Canada is seeded or they will be in 2026 I think FIFA wants Canada to advance but then again I could be wrong

2 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Yeah and since Canada is seeded or they will be in 2026 I think FIFA wants Canada to advance but then again I could be wrong

As will the United States and Mexico. There will have to be a lot of weak countries to qualify in 2026 for all three host countries to advance to the round of 32. If there is going to be a European country in each group, then what are the chances of all three host countries getting a beatable opponent? Obviously, with the United States getting the bulk of the games, FIFA will do all within its power to ensure that the United States gets one of the weakest qualifiers.

16 minutes ago, Robert said:

As will the United States and Mexico. There will have to be a lot of weak countries to qualify in 2026 for all three host countries to advance to the round of 32. If there is going to be a European country in each group, then what are the chances of all three host countries getting a beatable opponent? Obviously, with the United States getting the bulk of the games, FIFA will do all within its power to ensure that the United States gets one of the weakest qualifiers.

Yeah because USA are not only the strongest team in CONCACAF more or less but because they are hosting the majority of games and considering they are the biggest country in the world or one of them anyway...FIFA sees them as a place where the most money can be made so why wouldn't they want the USA to advance? It will no doubt be an easy group for them just like for Mexico they will get an easy draw. I can see it now Canada ends up with either 2 European countries in their group or they will end up/could end up with a South American team and an Asian team. No chance Canada ends up with an African team in their group.

How many competitive internationals will Canada play between now and the opening kick-off of the 2026 World Cup Final?

If Canada's form from the last 20 years holds true, which means we don't qualify for the Hex in 2021, Canada will play 2 to 8 World Cup qualifiers before co-hosting the BIG DANCE in 2026. That's an average of 1 competitive match a year over the next 8 years.

The Confederations Cup in Russia featured 8 countries playing a total of 15 matches. Is FIFA planning to expand the 2025 Confederations Cup into a major tournament that will feature all 3 of the host countries, the 6 Confederation champions, and the defending World Cup champions? Let's say they do, even though I don't realistically think so. Those 10 countries could be placed into 2 groups of 5 countries each. That would mean a 23-match tournament if it features 2 semi-finals and 1 final, which in turn would mean that Canada would get to play 4 competitive matches in the 4-year cycle that doesn't include any World Cup qualifiers.

That leaves the Gold Cup tournaments in 2019, 2021, 2023 and 2025. Considering we only made the final on one occasion, in 2000, how many real competitive matches is Canada going to play in Gold Cup competitions? Would matches against Haiti and Bermuda be considered good competitive opponents in preparation for World Cup Final matches that will be played on home soil?

I would say that the 1986 World Cup squad was far better prepared than the 2026 World Cup squad will be, in that the former played 8 World Cup qualifiers in 1985. The CSA will be hard pressed to arrange 8 competitive matches in the year leading up to 2026 World Cup Final,, because whatever format the FIFA chooses to use for the 2025 Confederation Cup tournament, you can bet your bottom dollar that Canada will be lucky if we get to play 2 of those matches on home soil.

Guest Tg11
47 minutes ago, Robert said:

How many competitive internationals will Canada play between now and the opening kick-off of the 2026 World Cup Final?

If Canada's form from the last 20 years holds true, which means we don't qualify for the Hex in 2021, Canada will play 2 to 8 World Cup qualifiers before co-hosting the BIG DANCE in 2026. That's an average of 1 competitive match a year over the next 8 years.

The Confederations Cup in Russia featured 8 countries playing a total of 15 matches. Is FIFA planning to expand the 2025 Confederations Cup into a major tournament that will feature all 3 of the host countries, the 6 Confederation champions, and the defending World Cup champions? Let's say they do, even though I don't realistically think so. Those 10 countries could be placed into 2 groups of 5 countries each. That would mean a 23-match tournament if it features 2 semi-finals and 1 final, which in turn would mean that Canada would get to play 4 competitive matches in the 4-year cycle that doesn't include any World Cup qualifiers.

That leaves the Gold Cup tournaments in 2019, 2021, 2023 and 2025. Considering we only made the final on one occasion, in 2000, how many real competitive matches is Canada going to play in Gold Cup competitions? Would matches against Haiti and Bermuda be considered good competitive opponents in preparation for World Cup Final matches that will be played on home soil?

I would say that the 1986 World Cup squad was far better prepared than the 2026 World Cup squad will be, in that the former played 8 World Cup qualifiers in 1985. The CSA will be hard pressed to arrange 8 competitive matches in the year leading up to 2026 World Cup Final,, because whatever format the FIFA chooses to use for the 2025 Confederation Cup tournament, you can bet your bottom dollar that Canada will be lucky if we get to play 2 of those matches on home soil.

For all we know Canada very well could qualify for the Hex in 2021 and if they do then could Canada qualify for Qatar 2022? I would say a very slim possibility but let's say if it did happen and Canada we see them back on the world stage for the first time since 1986 but in Qatar then it would be a perfect dress rehearsal for 2026. It would at least give the boys some experience heading into 2026 when we host it on home soil.

If Canada want to grow into an elite squad by 2026 then they need to set up friendly matches with the likes of countries like Italy, England, Germany, Netherlands, Australia, Chile, Spain, Brazil, France, Colombia, Portugal, Japan, South Korea, Egypt, Russia, Sweden well those type of countries rather than playing minnows in friendly matches. By playing friendly matches against minnows it doesn't really help Canada prepare well because then they aren't tested with real competition. However, which one of those top-ranked elite countries would even want to face Canada in a friendly anyway?

As far as the 2025 FIFA Confederations Cup I wonder how they would handle that? I mean would they host the Confederations Cup in the US and if so then which American city would get it? Or if they decided to host it in Mexico then which Mexican city would they host it in? Or let's say the 2025 FIFA Confederations Cup they decided to have it here in Canada then which Canadian city would they have it in, Toronto? Montreal? Or Edmonton? Or let's say the Confederations Cup they decided to spread the tournament through the 3 countries. By that I mean having some of the games in Mexico, some of the games in the US and some of the games in Canada. I guess I can see your point about all 3 host countries being in the Confederations Cup but then you also have the champions of their respective continents plus the defending FIFA World Cup champions which equals at least 10 teams in the tournament. 2 groups of 5 teams and the top 2 advance into the Semis and the Final yeah all of that makes sense but at the same time even if we get to play 4 competitive matches in that cycle then that's not that bad.

As far as the Gold Cup tournaments in 19, 21, 23 and 25 they definitely would give our boys that much needed experience as well. Yeah all of that makes sense but the more friendly matches and competitive fixtures we play would not only help boost our FIFA World Ranking but in terms of seeding it would put us in prime position of us having an easy draw for our actual group in 2026.

2 hours ago, Tg11 said:

For all we know Canada very well could qualify for the Hex in 2021 and if they do then could Canada qualify for Qatar 2022? I would say a very slim possibility but let's say if it did happen and Canada we see them back on the world stage for the first time since 1986 but in Qatar then it would be a perfect dress rehearsal for 2026. It would at least give the boys some experience heading into 2026 when we host it on home soil.

If Canada want to grow into an elite squad by 2026 then they need to set up friendly matches with the likes of countries like Italy, England, Germany, Netherlands, Australia, Chile, Spain, Brazil, France, Colombia, Portugal, Japan, South Korea, Egypt, Russia, Sweden well those type of countries rather than playing minnows in friendly matches. By playing friendly matches against minnows it doesn't really help Canada prepare well because then they aren't tested with real competition. However, which one of those top-ranked elite countries would even want to face Canada in a friendly anyway?

As far as the 2025 FIFA Confederations Cup I wonder how they would handle that? I mean would they host the Confederations Cup in the US and if so then which American city would get it? Or if they decided to host it in Mexico then which Mexican city would they host it in? Or let's say the 2025 FIFA Confederations Cup they decided to have it here in Canada then which Canadian city would they have it in, Toronto? Montreal? Or Edmonton? Or let's say the Confederations Cup they decided to spread the tournament through the 3 countries. By that I mean having some of the games in Mexico, some of the games in the US and some of the games in Canada. I guess I can see your point about all 3 host countries being in the Confederations Cup but then you also have the champions of their respective continents plus the defending FIFA World Cup champions which equals at least 10 teams in the tournament. 2 groups of 5 teams and the top 2 advance into the Semis and the Final yeah all of that makes sense but at the same time even if we get to play 4 competitive matches in that cycle then that's not that bad.

As far as the Gold Cup tournaments in 19, 21, 23 and 25 they definitely would give our boys that much needed experience as well. Yeah all of that makes sense but the more friendly matches and competitive fixtures we play would not only help boost our FIFA World Ranking but in terms of seeding it would put us in prime position of us having an easy draw for our actual group in 2026.

I also wonder about those Canadian 2026 World Cup players that everybody a talking about, who are now still teenagers and we don't know their identity yet. That is truly Canada's biggest obstacle when it comes to finding soccer talent.

When I was going to elementary school in Amsterdam a way back in the sixties, my friends and I would be playing soccer on the sidewalk in front of our school before classes. We'd be making passes off the brick walls. At recess, lunch and after school we would head over to the park and play until we had to go home. Wednesday afternoons we would play matches in the public school league. Tuesday and Thursday evenings I practiced with my Saturday club team. Saturdays were club match days. Sundays I would go to watch Ajax play at de Meer, or listen to matches on the radio in my attic bedroom, kicking a tennis ball in my night piss-pot from every conceivable angle. When I was on the street in front of my house, I would be kicking a ball against the wall. Rolling the ball along every part of both my feet. Getting to know the feel of the leather. Learning the bounce and spin of the ball. 

What do most Canadian kids do? They fuck around on their $1,000 smart phones, or waste countless hours of their lives on forums like the Voyageurs when they should be outside practicing and playing. And then they have the audacity to give old men like me shit. Ha, 2026 here we come. Proudly displaying the CSA's LTPD program. Ha. The jokes on them.

Guest Tg11

40 years of Canada not being at a FIFA World Cup. I mean that is a long time to be away from the world stage but if Canada is given automatic qualification and we qualify then it will only be our 2nd FIFA World Cup appearance in 40 years just let that sink in. However, I will be surprised if Canada by the time 2026 rolls around we are still under Umbro kit sponsorship as far as our jerseys go.

The game atmosphere itself I can just see it now...Canada home game with Canadians packing the stadium and fireworks on display whenever Canada scores a goal (ie. Serbia in 2010) and Canadians playing bongo drums instead of vuvuzelas. Bongo drums most likely will be a Canadian thing for Canada games and it will most likely be an American thing too when USA play their games in the USA but for Mexico I can see vuvuzelas playing when they host their games in Mexico.

I mean I can't see our jerseys selling out in minutes especially with people wanting to buy them considering for certain countries (ie. Nigeria 2018) when they released their kits at stores worldwide people went out of their way to buy them. I mean I will be surprised if in the next 8 years Canada have flashy jerseys that people actually want to buy but I doubt it even though we are one of the 3 co-hosts. However, as far as ticket sales go for Canada's games especially if they have home games either where I'm from here in Toronto or in Montreal or in Edmonton tickets are definitely gonna be worth a fortune that's for sure. Ticket prices I am sure will be over $100 may even be more than that considering NBA All Star weekend when it was here in Toronto ticket prices for that were from like 4 bills going up all the way to 8 bills that is how expensive it was just to watch NBA All Star weekend. So could you imagine just how much tickets will be for the 2026 FIFA World Cup?

Not to mention I am sure people well Canadians will definitely want to buy tickets to watch the 2026 FIFA World Cup Official Group Draw and I know that even for that tickets will definitely be expensive especially if the Draw they host it in the States. Canadians will definitely make the trip over just to watch it because of course like the rest of the world Canadians will want to watch the Group Draw up close especially to find out just who Canada gets in their group as far as 3 team groups go.

Don't even get me started on transit especially here in Toronto for the games. I know TTC is going to be hectic especially with fans getting on streetcars, trains and buses just to go to the games especially if the games are at BMO Field hell GO Transit will even be worse as far as travel. VIA Rail will be even worse especially if you take the train over from Toronto to Montreal or even to Edmonton just to watch a game.

Hotels will definitely be worse too especially because not only will fans try to come in just to meet the players of each country in trying to get pictures or an autograph but the security over there will be even more worse.

Team training sessions will be even worse too because fans will try to get in on that as well. However, teams for the 2026 FIFA World Cup should they set up camp here in Canada it should be interesting to see which teams set up camp in Toronto, Montreal or Edmonton. I just think back to the 1994 FIFA World Cup in USA where they would have certain teams set up camp in certain states like the Italians setting up camp in New York/New Jersey area because of the ethnic ties there or even Brazilians setting up camp in California just as examples. So come 2026 it will be interesting to see which teams go where because of ethnic ties.

2 hours ago, Tg11 said:

40 years of Canada not being at a FIFA World Cup. I mean that is a long time to be away from the world stage but if Canada is given automatic qualification and we qualify then it will only be our 2nd FIFA World Cup appearance in 40 years just let that sink in. However, I will be surprised if Canada by the time 2026 rolls around we are still under Umbro kit sponsorship as far as our jerseys go.

The game atmosphere itself I can just see it now...Canada home game with Canadians packing the stadium and fireworks on display whenever Canada scores a goal (ie. Serbia in 2010) and Canadians playing bongo drums instead of vuvuzelas. Bongo drums most likely will be a Canadian thing for Canada games and it will most likely be an American thing too when USA play their games in the USA but for Mexico I can see vuvuzelas playing when they host their games in Mexico.

I mean I can't see our jerseys selling out in minutes especially with people wanting to buy them considering for certain countries (ie. Nigeria 2018) when they released their kits at stores worldwide people went out of their way to buy them. I mean I will be surprised if in the next 8 years Canada have flashy jerseys that people actually want to buy but I doubt it even though we are one of the 3 co-hosts. However, as far as ticket sales go for Canada's games especially if they have home games either where I'm from here in Toronto or in Montreal or in Edmonton tickets are definitely gonna be worth a fortune that's for sure. Ticket prices I am sure will be over $100 may even be more than that considering NBA All Star weekend when it was here in Toronto ticket prices for that were from like 4 bills going up all the way to 8 bills that is how expensive it was just to watch NBA All Star weekend. So could you imagine just how much tickets will be for the 2026 FIFA World Cup?

Not to mention I am sure people well Canadians will definitely want to buy tickets to watch the 2026 FIFA World Cup Official Group Draw and I know that even for that tickets will definitely be expensive especially if the Draw they host it in the States. Canadians will definitely make the trip over just to watch it because of course like the rest of the world Canadians will want to watch the Group Draw up close especially to find out just who Canada gets in their group as far as 3 team groups go.

Don't even get me started on transit especially here in Toronto for the games. I know TTC is going to be hectic especially with fans getting on streetcars, trains and buses just to go to the games especially if the games are at BMO Field hell GO Transit will even be worse as far as travel. VIA Rail will be even worse especially if you take the train over from Toronto to Montreal or even to Edmonton just to watch a game.

Hotels will definitely be worse too especially because not only will fans try to come in just to meet the players of each country in trying to get pictures or an autograph but the security over there will be even more worse.

Team training sessions will be even worse too because fans will try to get in on that as well. However, teams for the 2026 FIFA World Cup should they set up camp here in Canada it should be interesting to see which teams set up camp in Toronto, Montreal or Edmonton. I just think back to the 1994 FIFA World Cup in USA where they would have certain teams set up camp in certain states like the Italians setting up camp in New York/New Jersey area because of the ethnic ties there or even Brazilians setting up camp in California just as examples. So come 2026 it will be interesting to see which teams go where because of ethnic ties.

I think that for all the reasons you outlined above, it would logistically make more sense to have Canada play its World Cup matches at either Commonwealth Stadium, in Edmonton, or the Olympic Stadium in Montreal. First off, the 40,000 seats at BMO Field just aren't going to meet the overwhelming demand for tickets to see Canada play World Cup soccer matches on Canadian soil. Olympic Stadium in Montreal with 61,000 seats and Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton with 60,000 seats are the only two stadiums in Canada that can accommodate that kind of demand. It just makes more sense to do so as the CSA really has to give as many Canadians as possible the once in a lifetime opportunity to watch Canada play live in World Cup matches on home soil. Also, it would not be worth the financial investment that would be required to enlarge BMO Field to at least 60,000 seats for just two matches, because Toronto FC doesn't need a venue with that kind of capacity, or it would have been built already.

Archived