1986 vs. 2026

Robert

Guest Tg11
22 hours ago, Robert said:

I think that for all the reasons you outlined above, it would logistically make more sense to have Canada play its World Cup matches at either Commonwealth Stadium, in Edmonton, or the Olympic Stadium in Montreal. First off, the 40,000 seats at BMO Field just aren't going to meet the overwhelming demand for tickets to see Canada play World Cup soccer matches on Canadian soil. Olympic Stadium in Montreal with 61,000 seats and Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton with 60,000 seats are the only two stadiums in Canada that can accommodate that kind of demand. It just makes more sense to do so as the CSA really has to give as many Canadians as possible the once in a lifetime opportunity to watch Canada play live in World Cup matches on home soil. Also, it would not be worth the financial investment that would be required to enlarge BMO Field to at least 60,000 seats for just two matches, because Toronto FC doesn't need a venue with that kind of capacity, or it would have been built already.

Yeah but apparently BMO Field is being expanded though

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

Yeah but apparently BMO Field is being expanded though

Any expansion to BMO would have to be significant. The increase would have to exceed a total capacity of 60,000, because Canada already has two stadiums that size. So if BMO Field were to be enlarged to 70.000 or 80,000, would Toronto FC attract crowds that large, or is the sole reason for the expansion to accommodate a handful of World Cup games? Remember, in Vancouver the Whitecaps have to disguise the upper bowl of BC Place with tarps in order to not have it look like the club is playing in a cavernous and empty venue.

Guest Tg11
37 minutes ago, Robert said:

Any expansion to BMO would have to be significant. The increase would have to exceed a total capacity of 60,000, because Canada already has two stadiums that size. So if BMO Field were to be enlarged to 70.000 or 80,000, would Toronto FC attract crowds that large, or is the sole reason for the expansion to accommodate a handful of World Cup games? Remember, in Vancouver the Whitecaps have to disguise the upper bowl of BC Place with tarps in order to not have it look like the club is playing in a cavernous and empty venue.

Yeah I know all of that. However, going off the Bid Book they are seriously considering expansion on BMO Field. They have at least 7 years until 2025 to complete renovation which I have every confidence that they will. They are obviously doing it because they want Toronto to host games because like it or not Toronto is one of the biggest cities in Canada with such a great fan base and a huge melting pot. Probably the best atmosphere when it comes to games.

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

Toronto is one of the biggest cities in Canada with such a great fan base and a huge melting pot. Probably the best atmosphere when it comes to games.

The jury is still out on that [point, as to date Toronto has never hosted any major international soccer matches, because it hasn't had a stadium large enough. The electrifying atmosphere in BC Place for the 2015 Women's World Cup Final was second to none. Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium was rocking for that 1-1 draw with Brazil. The Olympic Stadium in Montreal has hosted an Olympic Final and the the Impact's have filled the joint.

The facts reveal that Montreal, Edmonton and Vancouver have all hosted soccer games with crowds of 50,000 plus, which is something that has never happened in Toronto, yet. Therefore, it is a bit premature to say that Toronto provides the best atmosphere when it comes to games.

Having said that, I'm sure Torontonians will do all Canadians proud when they host a couple of first round 2026 World Cup matches. 

On 6/27/2018 at 8:43 PM, matty said:

Nah. Just score a goal or let in under 5 goals or get a draw (shootout or whatever they're doing by then)

Of course the worst nightmare scenario would be if Canada became the first host nation that didn't score goal.??

Guest Tg11
25 minutes ago, Robert said:

The jury is still out on that [point, as to date Toronto has never hosted any major international soccer matches, because it hasn't had a stadium large enough. The electrifying atmosphere in BC Place for the 2015 Women's World Cup Final was second to none. Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium was rocking for that 1-1 draw with Brazil. The Olympic Stadium in Montreal has hosted an Olympic Final and the the Impact's have filled the joint.

The facts reveal that Montreal, Edmonton and Vancouver have all hosted soccer games with crowds of 50,000 plus, which is something that has never happened in Toronto, yet. Therefore, it is a bit premature to say that Toronto provides the best atmosphere when it comes to games.

Having said that, I'm sure Torontonians will do all Canadians proud when they host a couple of first round 2026 World Cup matches. 

Yes Toronto will have quite the atmosphere come 2026 and watch just how fast BMO Field will sell out. I will be saying I told you so.

Guest Tg11
21 minutes ago, Robert said:

Of course the worst nightmare scenario would be if Canada became the first host nation that didn't score goal.??

I mean it could happen well depending on who Canada gets in their group

33 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

Yes Toronto will have quite the atmosphere come 2026 and watch just how fast BMO Field will sell out. I will be saying I told you so.

No, it will be terrible. 

It will be 99% corporate bullshit and probably the hardest tickets to get given the size of the event and the ratio of the size of the city to the size of the stadium. 

Guest Tg11
6 minutes ago, admin said:

No, it will be terrible. 

It will be 99% corporate bullshit and probably the hardest tickets to get given the size of the event and the ratio of the size of the city to the size of the stadium. 

Yeah it could but I also talked about expansion because in the Bid Book they were talking about doing some serious renovations to BMO so that way it will be ready come 2026

2 minutes ago, admin said:

No, it will be terrible. 

FYI - For the 2015 Women's World Cup, and probably every other World Cup as well, FIFA released blocks of tickets over time. This presumably is done to counter ticket scalping. I suggest, for those going to matches in Toronto, to buy tickets the moment they go on sale, and if unsuccessful to keep trying as often as possible. With all of its infinite wisdom and experience, FIFA, of course, will force you to buy at least five other tickets to matches you don't want to see if you want to go to one of Canada's games. Be prepared to shell out over a thousand dollars for every Canadian match you want to buy a ticket for. Maybe because its Toronto it might even be more. Someone has to pay for the BMO Field expansion, and it ain't gonna be British Columbians!

5 minutes ago, Robert said:

FYI - For the 2015 Women's World Cup, and probably every other World Cup as well, FIFA released blocks of tickets over time. This presumably is done to counter ticket scalping. I suggest, for those going to matches in Toronto, to buy tickets the moment they go on sale, and if unsuccessful to keep trying as often as possible. With all of its infinite wisdom and experience, FIFA, of course, will force you to buy at least five other tickets to matches you don't want to see if you want to go to one of Canada's games. Be prepared to shell out over a thousand dollars for every Canadian match you want to buy a ticket for. Maybe because its Toronto it might even be more. Someone has to pay for the BMO Field expansion, and it ain't gonna be British Columbians!

Well, I am speaking flippantly of course.

It will however, be very expensive/hard to get tickets in Toronto.

Guest Tg11
21 minutes ago, admin said:

Well, I am speaking flippantly of course.

It will however, be very expensive/hard to get tickets in Toronto.

Yeah of course but then again in Montreal and Edmonton it will be just as hard if not harder

Guest Tg11
12 minutes ago, admin said:

Not even close.

If ticket prices for games during the 2026 FIFA World Cup in Toronto at BMO Field are gonna be expensive or hard to get then imagine the prices for games at Olympic Stadium in Montreal or at Commonwealth in Edmonton. They will be expensive in all 3 Canadian cities. 

However, time zone differences will be a killer especially accommodating the rest of the world. Because games in the US and here in Canada will most likely start early but in Mexico the games no doubt will come on later on in the day heading into the night and for the rest of the world they are gonna have to either stay up late or wake up early to watch our games.

5 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

If ticket prices for games during the 2026 FIFA World Cup in Toronto at BMO Field are gonna be expensive or hard to get then imagine the prices for games at Olympic Stadium in Montreal or at Commonwealth in Edmonton. They will be expensive in all 3 Canadian cities. 

However, time zone differences will be a killer especially accommodating the rest of the world. Because games in the US and here in Canada will most likely start early but in Mexico the games no doubt will come on later on in the day heading into the night and for the rest of the world they are gonna have to either stay up late or wake up early to watch our games.

That's just not how things work here.

60K stadium in Montreal for a Canada game will simply be of less than value than Toronto for a 40K stadium.

Time zones will have no effect on ticket sales. 

Can we not drag on this completely useless fucking topic 8 years before the event even happens.

Guest Tg11
1 minute ago, admin said:

That's just not how things work here.

60K stadium in Montreal for a Canada game will simply be of less than value than Toronto for a 40K stadium.

Time zones will have no effect on ticket sales. 

Can we not drag on this completely useless fucking topic 8 years before the event even happens.

Yeah I doubt that but we will just agree to disagree

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

Yeah I doubt that but we will just agree to disagree

I don't disagree. BMO Field will host at least one and possibly even both of Canada's games, although in my opinion organizers would make more money if Toronto and Montreal were to each host one of Canada's games.

In 2026, if I am blessed to be still annoying so many on this forum, I will be 70 years old. Toronto and Montreal are not exactly around the corner from Victoria, and I do not have the same level of exuberance and hope for the Men's national team as I had 30 years ago. After watching the CSA do so little for soccer in this country in the 49 years that I have lived here, I might consider going to Edmonton for a game or two, but the TV becomes a more appealing option with each passing year.

It has always been my hope to see Canada qualify (earn a spot) for the World Cup Final once more, but alas, I am running out of World Cups. If we don't qualify for Qatar in 2022, and with not having to qualify in 2026, I would have to wait till at least 2030, when I'll be 74.

Time keeps on slipping into the future, and I have seen how Canadians get their hopes up every four years, only to see those dashed time after time. Now you can blame referees for making decisions that have gone against Canada, you can fire coaches because they didn't do the right thing, and you can get pissed off at players who chose to play for another country instead of Canada, but at some point you have to realize and take responsibilities for your own shortcomings, and that is something the CSA has never done.

Today, the CSA has a wonderful opportunity to place Canadian soccer on a path it has never previously trodden. Will the CSA seize that opportunity? What do you think?

Guest Tg11

Plus as far as the team itself Canada has at least 8 years to field a team that can actually compete. An 8 year plan to actually help grow the game in this country but an 8 year plan to commit to a grassroots movement of football throughout their program. Youth development at each age level but also hiring competent coaches too.

Sending more Canadian talent abroad too would be nice as well having our kids develop within systems here in Canada and then sending them off to Europe to further develop. 

More emphasis needs to be put on the CPL as well. Look at what USA 94 did for the US national team and their program after they hosted. Canada needs to follow that same model flat out point blank period especially if they even hope to have any sort of credibility come 2026.

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It's funny, due to my mute function, I only see a string of Jamie's posts.

We really just need to collectively stop replying to the inane new posts or the silly threads.

Asshole, but smart ??

Archived