USA vs Canada, Sunday November 12th.

On 08/11/2017 at 3:32 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Might as well start a thread for the 2nd game, do we have broadcast details for this one?

Looks like there won't be any television broadcasts of the match. It isn't on the TSN broadcast schedule. It will be streamed on canadasoccer.com though.

DOSwTI0X0AAMkbC.png

[  1  ]  No Ashley Lawrence , she's back in France .( People know that right? )  From  her instagram:

ashley_lawrence10    Round 2 tonight for @canadasoccer as they take on @ussoccer_wnt in San Jose, California! Cheering you gals on from France!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbabcwMhkRE/?hl=en&taken-by=ashley_lawrence10

[  2 ]  At the moment it looks like Canada's options at rightback  are  either two  NWSL pros with modest  high-level experience at the position ( Lindsay Agnew,  Maegan Kelly ) or 16 y/o  Excel  player Jayde Riviere.

US dominating early on, Canada not stringing together any passes.  Labbe makes good save coming off line on Morgan, US (Ertz) later scores off a corner.  Canada starting to wake up a little bit.

Interesting that the FS1 commentators Dellacamera and Wagner admitted the shenanigans of the 2012 Olympic game.

30:00 Prince in for Rose

Bad ball back from US, Sinclair stretches to get it and almost scores and hurts herself in the process but continues.

Canada starting to press better but still behind in possession, Fleming's passing is horrible so far.

40:00 Play mostly in midfield/US half, nothing threatening

Half USA 1 Canada 0

Canada settling in better but too many ineffective long balls

Shots on goal USA 2 Canada 0
Corner kicks USA 5 Canada 0
Possession USA 60 Canada 40

Chapman Canada's best player so far makes good defensive play

50:00 USA 1 Canada 1 As I eat my words, Prince makes a beautiful setup to Beckie who buries it.

Game starting to open up like the previous one, getting more offensive.

Kelly (at right back) gets in the face of an American, feisty girl.

56:00 USA 2 Canada 1 Poor giveaway by Fleming (getting a little too cute so sayeth the commentators) leads to Morgan goal

59:00 Huitema and Agnew in for Sinclair and Kelly.  Commentators say Huitema is 5'11" (and growing) and fastest Canadian player.  Scott get captain's armband

Grandma Rapinoe starting to assert herself.

70:00 Ariel Young in for Scott, Jayde Riviere in for Leon, first caps for both

74:00 Chapman saves the day again, Rapinoe stepping up for US

76:00 Ninth US corner

Chapman earns corner for Canada, best player at both ends for Canada

78:00 Riviere gets yellow for tripping up Rapinoe

79:00 Tenth US corner,

80:00 USA 3 Canada 1 Rapinoe again the instigator as Lloyd scores from Morgan

Canada missing General Sinclair, this could get ugly

85:00 Eleventh US corner Chapman saves yet again

87:00 Rapinoe nearly scores on long ball Labbe saves, loses ball onto post

90:00 Julia Grosso in for Beckie

Summary: Rapinoe schools Canada and takes them under the learning tree earning WOTM.  Chapman was everywhere and about the only positive Canadian performance tonight.  Prince had a couple of positive moments in her rare touches.

'Granny' Rapinoe as usual was a headache for Canada all game long.  Chapman and Sinclair the best of the lot.  The rest never woke up from the trip.  Statistically we score on 50% of our chances on goal.  The problem is that we only had 2 shots on goal and of those only one on target.  You can't expect to win like that.  USA had countless shots and embarrassed us.  Labbé as usual not an acceptable keeper, but lucky.

[  1  ]  The current US midfield ( Ertz, Horan, Mewis ) are big,physical, technical  and all three have  an  aerial game  in the attacking third-- but in the midfield,  they are  not very mobile. Jessie  Fleming was able to weave through them in the first match because Canada had a lot of successful wide play going forward  ( Rose/Leon/Chapman  on the left, Lawrence on the right ) which pulled some of the  slow US midfielders out of position.   Rebecca Quinn's long balls in the first match was  also trying to catch out the slow US midfield.  But in today's match, Canada did  not have a lot of good wide play ( especially without  Ashley Lawrence  )  so it was easier for the US  midfield to be big in the middle  and to focus on  containing Fleming .

[ 2 ] Canada currently has a depth problem at rightback --   there's nobody after Lawrence. Neither Kelly or Agnew play fullback in the NWSL and both struggled defensively trying to contain Rapinoe today.  In fact, that's what should be expected here: that Rapinoe would have field day going down the wing against inexperienced fullbacks.

[ 3 ] A CANWNT backline without Buchanan and Lawrence is like  an automobile with two wheels missing . If Buchanan was in the first match then Alex Morgan would not have scored that goal and Canada probably wins that match.  Additionally,  Lawrence was really Canada's  best player in the first match : she had the Americans on the backheel in the attacking third yet easily got back  to the defensive third  to shut down  Rapinoe.  Neither player is replaced easily.

[ 4 ]  No one should kid themselves: the USWNT is really deep and not all of their players were available  for these two matches.   Press and Williams up top could easily be swapped with Dunn and Heath. Additionally the US could go with 3 different starting midfielders like Pugh,  Lavelle as well as Llyod.   There are countless others. Jill Ellis is spoiled for choice .

I love Lawrence but I didn't think she was the force she normally is in the first game.  She played ok but her game seemed off to me.  I worry her France team isn't developing her right.  Her d wasn't as strong as usual and it took her a while to start joining the attack.

The second game was a bit of a mess.  I agree Chapman played well and would add that Beckie was pretty good in the midfield.  Scott was pretty sound as was Sinc.  Fleming had a bad game.  Given her position, its hard to compensate for someone not setting things up, giving the ball away, etc. 

My concerns are 1) the US made good tactical adjustments plus played better on the grass surface.  Canada didn't seem to adjust well to either.  2) Rose seems to be lacking in thinking the game.  It feels like she would be a better late sub than starter.  Prince is only slightly better at this stage.  Prince had some good moments this game but those were with Beckie who I think she has good chemistry with.  I feel the forward ranks need improvement so there is someone to capitalize on Fleming and Sinc's passing.  3) The defense also needs to be developing some defenders who will only play defense.  I think Quinn has been great back there as has Lawrence but elsewhere they don't play defense which causes some issues in how the whole unit works together.  When US capitalized it was poor cohesion and communication between the D on who was covering what.  Goals shouldn't be scored by one offensive player with four surrounding them.

Currently the goaltending is not strong enough or helping direct the defense enough for this defensive foursome.  Imagine the difference if someone like McLeod was in net. I also think Matheson would have made a difference in this series. 

Archived