Do you think Chris Konopka is in the running for MLS Comeback Player of the Year?

matty

With Konopka earning starter minutes for the first time in his career at age 30, do you guys think he's in the running for the MLS Comeback Player of the Year Award?

What's he coming back from?  Having the bench surgically removed from his ass?

"It is presented to a player who showed impressive improvement after overcoming a serious injury or medical condition or after a previous slump in the career."

He hasn't been good this year so I would be shocked. I don't think beating another career backup for a starting spot is enough to warrant MLS comeback player of the year.  4 clean sheets and I don't think any TFC fans want him back.

What's he coming back from?  Having the bench surgically removed from his ass?

"It is presented to a player who showed impressive improvement after overcoming a serious injury or medical condition or after a previous slump in the career."

He hasn't been good this year so I would be shocked. I don't think beating another career backup for a starting spot is enough to warrant MLS comeback player of the year.  4 clean sheets and I don't think any TFC fans want him back.

I think one could call his career between Ireland and now a slump and in the past players in similar situations have earned nominations. I don't think he'd win but I'm curious if anyone else thinks he has a shot at a nomination.

I second Keegan on this. He isn't coming back from anything. He just managed to play slightly better than Bendik.

Really hope one of Konopka or Bendik is gone in 2016 and that Roberts is the backup next year. Think he's done enough in USL to show that he should at least get a few starts. Bono is a dumpster fire from the few games I've seen so it would also help give him a chance to improve at the USL level.

God no, this is a journeyman player who just happened to have an opportunity to play and did so half decently. I can think of atleast two guys coming back from major injury this year : Will Johnson and Victor Bernardez, who are more deserving.

I second Keegan on this. He isn't coming back from anything. He just managed to play slightly better than Bendik.

Really hope one of Konopka or Bendik is gone in 2016 and that Roberts is the backup next year. Think he's done enough in USL to show that he should at least get a few starts. Bono is a dumpster fire from the few games I've seen so it would also help give him a chance to improve at the USL level.

the door looks open for a guy like Roberts.   why as backup though?   i wouldnt be surprised if the reason that he is not the backup this year is so that he could get playing time so that he could challenge for a starter role next year. 

in soccer, unlike hockey, backups can be almost anybody because starting keepers can log more playing time in soccer.  look at Hirshfeld,  he went from the Calgary Storm (who were the worst team in the USL, by far) directly to the bench of Totenham hotspurs. you will never see that kind of progression for any kind other position players.   backup keepers are not worth spending that much money on. .  maxime crepeau might be a better example.  he has looked pretty good for canada, that might be why he is not in mls now.   

God no, this is a journeyman player who just happened to have an opportunity to play and did so half decently. I can think of atleast two guys coming back from major injury this year : Will Johnson and Victor Bernardez, who are more deserving.

I'd argue that on TFC, Ashtone Morgan would be a more worthy candidate that Konopka (even if his "slump" last year was coach-induced).

the door looks open for a guy like Roberts.   why as backup though?   i wouldnt be surprised if the reason that he is not the backup this year is so that he could get playing time so that he could challenge for a starter role next year. 

in soccer, unlike hockey, backups can be almost anybody because starting keepers can log more playing time in soccer.  look at Hirshfeld,  he went from the Calgary Storm (who were the worst team in the USL, by far) directly to the bench of Totenham hotspurs. you will never see that kind of progression for any kind other position players.   backup keepers are not worth spending that much money on. .  maxime crepeau might be a better example.  he has looked pretty good for canada, that might be why he is not in mls now.   

With Bono also at TFC II I doubt we see Roberts get more of a workload in 2016 over what he got in 2014 and 2015. At this point, is being the #1 keeper in USL going to benefit him much more? Why not give him some starts in MLS?

Archived