What happened to Brittany Timko?

Hey guys, I'm new here.  Something that I have been wondering about for a long time has to do with Brittany Timko's scoring ability.  Granted I haven't followed this team for as long as you have, but reading her stats, she was the top scorer in the 2004 U-19 World Cup, and just overall a star at the U-19 level.  However, on the senior side, she has only scored 5 times in 132 caps?

I'm not saying everyone who is a star at the junior level will become a star at the senior level, but at the same time, could the stats and performance be so much different?  Given what you've seen of other stars at the junior level, is this normal?  Did Timko have an injury?

I'm just really curious, that's all.  What's her story?

She got married, her last name is now Baxter.  She used to be a favorite of the fans, nice personality and she did some public speaking as well.  Don't know why she fell off coaches usual lists, last time I saw her play, she no longer was what she used to be.

Thanks for replying guys.  Yes, I know what's going on with Baxter/Timko now, but I just don't understand the transition between her junior and senior performance.  That happened way before I started following this team.  How could she go from being a scoring machine to... well, only 5 goals in 32 appearance?  Did she have an injury or what?

Sometimes, (actually many times), playing well at youth levels doesn't carry over to the senior level. 

My impression of watching her at the senior level was that she was only involved at the fringes of most matches. She didn't look particularly energetic but at times looked quick with her gazelle like running style, didn't have more than 1 or 2 moves, not a ball winner and played like a frail looking player. She would dribble at players from the wings but got stopped before she got to the box. So, no chances to take any shots and didn't move to space after to be able to take a shot.

Thank you, red card.  You provided the answer I had been wondering about the most.  I didn't start following this team till the London 2012 Olympics.  I was thinking of players like Sinclair and Lang (star at the junior level, star at the senior level).  I just wasn't sure if most Canadian players could keep up with their reputation at the junior level.  I know Leon was a star too at the junior level.  She's okay now.  At least she is scoring 1 goal every 6 or 7 games, but Baxter's stats just seemed off so I had to ask.  You gave me your input and I appreciate it!

[ 1 ] Brittany Timko was the Golden Shoe  winner of the 2004 FIFA  U-19 WWC in Thailand. Here's a list of some of the other scorers and non-scorers who were part of  that tournament:

Brittany Timko                                                             Canada       7 goals

Anja Mittag                                                                  Germany     6 goals

Marta                                                                           Brazil           3 goals

Christiane                                                                    Brazil           3 goals

Celia Okoyino Da Mbani (now known as Celia Sasic)  Germany     3 goals

Megan Rapinoe                                                           USA             3 goals

Veronique Maranda                                                     Canada       2 goals 

Lena Goessling                                                           Germany     2 goals

Simone Laudehr                                                          Germany     2 goals

Amy Rodriguez                                                             USA            2 goals

Annike Krahn                                                               Germany     1 goal

Kara Lang                                                                    Canada       1 goal

Jodi-Ann Robinson                                                       Canada       1 goal

Tanya Dennis                                                               Canada       1 goal

Aysha Jamani                                                               Canada       1 goal

Veronique Bouquete                                                     Spain           0 goals

Becky Sauerbraun                                                         USA            0 goals

Josee Belanger                                                             Canada       0 goals

Sophie Schmidt                                                             Canada       0 goals

Selenia Iacchelli                                                            Canada       0 goals

Sydney Leroux                                                              Canada       0 goals

[ 2 ] Given how good Brittany Timko  was 11 years ago it's hard to believe that she's no longer playing and that  many of her peers from the 2004 tournament are still VERY  productive for their respective clubs and countries. To me, it's possible that Brittany Timko  overacheived in this tournament and that the results were not representitive of who she truly is. It's also possible that the people  in charge wasted her talent and did not properly nuture and develop her scoring ability over the last decade.

[ 3 ] Its hard to speculate, but I think there are a couple main reasons why Brittany Timko's  scoring totals with the senior team were  low. Firstly, midfielders in Even Pellerud's  direct long ball system infrequently  joined the attack. They generally defended the midfield, rarely moved forward, and looked to create turnovers which they would promptly  send  forward to the strikers. ( Matheson's numbers are similarly low under Pellerud .) Secondly, a few years in, Even Pellerud  changed Brittany Timko's  role from a regular starter to an  attacker playing limited minutes off the bench. Canada seemed to struggle  to find a useful  role for Brittany Timko.  Finally, during the latter part of her career, Brittany Timko suffered  injuries ( ribs and lungs in 2008 Olympics, an ACL in a friendly against Poland in 2010) and went long stretches without playing any club soccer ( 2011-2013).

[ 4 ] Here's a nice goal she scored in the 2011 Cyprus Cup -- back from her ACL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcyEC6T0Y8M

Can't thank you enough for the details, tc-in-bc.  Wow... back then, Timko scored more than the now-famous Mittag and Sasic (who we just saw as scoring machines at the last World Cup)... and Marta!

I've seen that goal of hers before.

I never liked that "style" Pellerud created in that team.  I ordered DVD's of the 2003 and 2007 World Cups and Canada was VERY disorganized.  Even though they managed to score more goals (unlike the 2011 and 2015 World Cups), I don't care.  They are way more organized now and actually look like a real team.  LOL...  I am glad Morace changed their style of play, even though 2011 was pretty much a disaster.

Junior, won the golden boot in the U19 by scoring in every game including both against the Aussies and the tying goal against the Germans.

Brittany was a great players with finesse and control, eager and a fighter, all characteristics that made her so popular on her days.  Everybody knew her name.  She was a great promise.  One of these pseudo coaches must have ruined her, just too bad.  Other less talented teammates of hers are still hanging in there but none equals Brittany.

Now I wish I started following this team when the members were in the junior team.  I didn't get to see Timko in her best days.  I'm just curious, The Ref.  Which "pseudo coach" do you think ruined her?  Pellerud?

And do you think she could've been the next Sinclair that everyone has been looking for (or at least the next Hooper)?

And do you think she could've been the next Sinclair that everyone has been looking for (or at least the next Hooper)?

No, but I think she could have remained a good all rounder like Schmidt.  I often wondered as well why she fell off the radar but looking at that list of stars in the making it makes you wonder what happened.  So many promising players just fall by the wayside: Maranda, Robinson, Jamani, Thorlakson, Marton, Chapman (injuries?), Swiatek (retired early).

I couldn't recall her name so I had to look it up but Taryn Swiatek was a very good keeper as was Labbe (contrary to Ref's opinion).  One thing Canada has been lucky with has been very good goalkeeping and as I was looking at old records I noticed McLeod has had a virtual lock on the position for a long time and the only chance the above two had to shine was when McLeod was injured.  Our third string goalie is better than many other country's first.

I like what you said, Joe.  I haven't seen much of Labbe but I know she got a red card the other day for who-knows-what.  I agree about Swiatek, Mcleod and LeBlanc.  If you look at a powerhouse team like France, their goalkeeper (Bouhaddi) is known as the most erratic goalkeeper in the world!  I think that was why many of my friends predicted if any WC game would go to a shootout, we would win because of goalkeeping!

Okay, now I am even more sad that Timko fell off the radar, because we could use more all rounders.  To be honest, I have no idea who Maranda, Jamani, or Marton are.  LOL... And I have watched WC DVD's dating back to 2003.  I don't recall those names.

I must say it's only my second day posting here and I am already learning lots.  I love discussing with you guys about my favorite team!  Can you guys please help me?  I made a thread about possibly opening up a merchandise shop to promote CANWNT and I need to know if you think my stuff will sell.  Even if your comment is negative, give it to me!  That's how I learn.

Let's not forget about Amanda Cicchini as well.

I think the book may have been out on her, whether her legit skills were overshadowed by her off field adventures.

I remember watching the U20s a few years ago and the players that stood out for me were Leon, Jenna Richardson and the Ref's protege D'Angelo.  Not sure where Richardson is now, I think she graduated from Oregon State and was with the Whitecaps a while back.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived