Whitecaps in First...

Trillium

No one even believes it on the Southsider board. It's always more fun to be negative and crap on players. However, American Soccer Analysis has annoited the 'caps as the loose favourites for the Supporters Shield, so the underlying numbers (Shot dominance, total xG) are holding up.

I occasionally listen to Extra Time Radio MLS, and notice they have never dedicated a program to the Caps, nor ever done a serious analysis of their play or team. Better that way I say, that way rivals know less about us. Since half the team can't understand the press anyways, they don't bother reading it and are not distracted. Good too. 

Nice to spend the year in the Liga hanging on every single result in the push to win the league, and coming here and feeling the same. To use Simeone's phrase, "partido a partido", game to game. Very enjoyable.

I think they need to stay on top for a bit to garner more attention.

Agreed. It is a great start to the season and we've got a long way to go but fun to see it. I never thought we'd be in this position this quickly. Staying at this level is tougher than getting there.

We are tied for 9-11th in goals for but we've only allowed 17 goals against in 18 games. The other 5 teams better than us have played less games so we are top or close to it. The defensive troika of Ousted, Waston and Laba have been just amazing. Between shutting down the middle and eliminating aerial threats that doesn't leave much for the other teams to work with. Ousted has been on a roll and that will carry a team more than anything else. If this is his true level and he can maintain it then we are in for a serious shot at Supporter's Shield.

The southsiders board can be a hoot at times. Just a month ago there were some speculating about our coach being on a "short leash". News flash "All coaches are on short leashes their entire career".

The extra games in the CCL and the players missing during Gold Cup & WCQ will be the acid test but I for one am looking forward to it.

The Whitecaps are in first..in the west and first overall in MLS, is this the first time they have been in first in MLS in their history ?

Why is this not bigger news, or do folks not care cause they are on the west coast ?

A combination of factors I think. First, the WWC has certainly meant that there is less focus on MLS right now. There is a lot less Whitecaps talk in the media at the moment. Even amongst the hardcore fans, their focus was on creating strong support for Canada at BC Place.

Obviously, the WWC has also meant that the Whitecaps have been playing on the road for about the last month. There is always less buzz when the team is out of the market.

Lastly, I think those that are still paying attention realize that their results seem to be a bit fortunate. The calls are going their way. They have gotten points in matches where they have been outplayed. While this may be a sign of a good team, I think a lot of people are questioning whether it is sustainable.

Personally, I think they will be near the top at the end of the season, but I would not make them favorites for the Supporters' Shield.

They aren't getting coverage for the same reason DC isn't getting coverage for being on top in the East.  Neither side is dominating but just getting results and I think all fans are realistic around the league that being on top of the table at this moment means nothing if you aren't steam rolling teams.  History has shown us that the top teams will emerge at the end of the year and go on a roll, likely LA and Seattle.  I hope Vancouver can win SS but it's too early to even talk about it. 

Archived