CanWNT vs Japan - October 25, 2014 (R)

rob.notenboom

So a quite convincing victory by Japan. I'm glad I read in an article that our women had spent most of their prep in the weight room and not on the ball because at least there's a bit of an excuse and makes me feel a little better.

We had a few good spells but generally were poor.

I hope Diana Matheson is ok. If she is seriously injured we are in big trouble.

Not a good show, on the field or off (fewer than 10,000 fans? Come now, Edmonton.) Leon was bright when she came on, though, and I thought that New Chapman alternated between very good and temple-poundingly mistakeprone.

If anyone has the match video please do post it.

Yeah, sort of felt like you knew how this match was going to end before the half way mark of the 1st.  Not surprised though.  Japan is VERY good, and look as though they're growing if you get my meaning.

All in all, with Herdman mixing up the line up a bit (lots of young faces out there) a useful friendly I thought.  Ug, that 1st goal was brutal defending though.  No sugar coating that.

New girl Chapman deserves more of a look based on her performance. Good penetrating passes which is rarity amongst Cdn football players of either gender. But didn't see any good crosses. Her defensive was fine but seemed out of sync with rest of back four.

Not much to say about rest of team. Truly outclassed in first 10 mins and last 15 mins. Rest of their match, they mostly held their own defensively but not much seen offensively. Sinclair was again sort of absent and no goals since last Dec for team. With no other high calibre striker emerging, it is worrying. 

In contrast, Japanese passing and movement was crisp. Technically head and shoulders above Canada.

Better. The team really hurt themselves but played well for stretches. More energy and spirit in this game IMHO.

How long does it take to return to full fitness from an ACL tear? Terrible news for Matheson.

ACL is usually 6-9 months. Odds are that she'll miss the World Cup

Better. The team really hurt themselves but played well for stretches. More energy and spirit in this game IMHO.

I think Scott is an absolutely integral component of the team.  I wouldn't say she's the best midfield destroyer in the game but, to quote Brian Clough speaking of his own coaching ability, I'd put her in the top one.  (Okay, I'm biased, and I'm not even from Winnipeg!).

I think Scott is an absolutely integral component of the team. I wouldn't say she's the best midfield destroyer in the game but, to quote Brian Clough speaking of his own coaching ability, I'd put her in the top one. (Okay, I'm biased, and I'm not even from Winnipeg!).

Agreed. Wish she passed the ball a bit better but she is great protection for the back line.

Matheson is a huge loss but Fleming looked surprisingly good against Japan. Wondering how she'll fare against the US or Germany though. Much bigger bodies.

When she got a cameo in Vancouver against Germany, Fleming looked very promising. Not woman of the match or anything, but she definitely belonged on the field with the best technical women's team on the planet.

The Americans will be interesting though, because Fleming's little and they play dirty.

Throws off who? The USWNT or the Japan WNT?

Either way I think having some tough as nails players on our team clearly helps us out. In addition to Buchanan, I would mention Scott, Tancredi and a few others. Even Erin McLeod is pretty damned fearless the way she throws herself in front of shots and even other players who are coming in hard to the net. 

Archived