Montreal FC

When MLS had the reserve league, did the CSA let the MLS teams put another, a second team, in the Voyageurs Cup?

This. The CSA is allowing reserve team in USL PRO because they are a contitnuation of the MLS team. There is no way that they would allow something like FC Montreal in the V's cup with their well known affiliation.

When MLS had the reserve league, did the CSA let the MLS teams put another, a second team, in the Voyageurs Cup?

No... FC Montreal will be a reserve team, you cannot have two teams in the same competition owned by the  #same club at the pro level ( or at least that used to be a FIFA ruling ) in anycase if they did participate all the players would be cup tied, so no advantage to doing it.

USL is third division in this context and until they open up to all 3rd division leagues they will not compete for V-Cup

# Yes I know MLS had multi team owner ship by various owners and NASL had /has Traffic owning bits and pieces of differing clubs, but I think that is all tied to Canada / US wierdness in terms of following FIFA rules.

I'll take a tweet from Patrick Vallée, Spokesman from the Impact which resumes the situtation

Le FC Montréal ne sera pas un autre club. C'est une nouvelle équipe professionnelle au sein de l'Impact. 1 club, 11 équipes. #IMFC

Which means: FC Montréal won't be a new club. It's a new pro team that is part of the Impact. 1 club, 11 teams.

No... FC Montreal will be a reserve team, you cannot have two teams in the same competition owned by the  #same club at the pro level ( or at least that used to be a FIFA ruling ) in anycase if they did participate all the players would be cup tied, so no advantage to doing it.

USL is third division in this context and until they open up to all 3rd division leagues they will not compete for V-Cup

# Yes I know MLS had multi team owner ship by various owners and NASL had /has Traffic owning bits and pieces of differing clubs, but I think that is all tied to Canada / US wierdness in terms of following FIFA rules.

I don't think there is a FIFA rule preventing reserve teams from playing in Cups unless it is very recent. Germany allowed reserve teams to compete until 2008 and once the Hertha reserve team actually played in the final losing to the same team that the parent club had lost to a couple of rounds earlier. Spain used to allow reserve teams to compete also although they stopped this in the early 90s. Real Madrid actually faced their reserve team in the final of the 1980 Copa del Rey. Although the parent team won 6-1, since Real won the league that year the reserve team was Spain's representative in the Cup Winners Cup and actually won a game against West Ham United which is I think the only time a reserve team ever played in a UEFA club competition. I suspect there are still some countries that allow reserve teams to compete. I don't think there is any problem with having the reserve teams as long as the rosters are frozen and players can not switch between teams.

I don't think there is a FIFA rule preventing reserve teams from playing in Cups unless it is very recent. Germany allowed reserve teams to compete until 2008 and once the Hertha reserve team actually played in the final losing to the same team that the parent club had lost to a couple of rounds earlier. Spain used to allow reserve teams to compete also although they stopped this in the early 90s. Real Madrid actually faced their reserve team in the final of the 1980 Copa del Rey. Although the parent team won 6-1, since Real won the league that year the reserve team was Spain's representative in the Cup Winners Cup and actually won a game against West Ham United which is I think the only time a reserve team ever played in a UEFA club competition. I suspect there are still some countries that allow reserve teams to compete. I don't think there is any problem with having the reserve teams as long as the rosters are frozen and players can not switch between teams.

I found this reference document...have not delved deep into FIFA regs to find the rule if it is there...

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/dual-ownership-of-football-clubs.htm

Archived