I was watching the draw this morning for the CCL and it struck me.  If the positions in the group are irrelative since the schedule is not set, why not stick all the USA and MEX teams in the same pot?  They can't be drawn together anyway.  It's not really relevant long term over the competition but maybe some comments about how Belize and Jamaica are back in the event since the first one in 2008-09?  It might speak to the improvements to the sport in their countries, financially.

I have my own ideas on how to run this event but I tend to level the playing field instead of getting the MEX and USA teams more chances to be successful.  This is the 7th edition with no real change to the allocations.

Speaking of the CCL draw, the Canadian entry has drawn the New Jersey Red Bulld and FAS from El Salvador.  Not only did Canada draw an MLS team instead of a Mexican team, but the closest one (to Toronto & Montreal at least) cutting down on travel, and the lowest ranked one in the standings!  And FAS has always finished last in their group in Champions League.

It's an excellent draw, with a great chance of making it to the Quarter-Finals!

Yeah it would be awesome to see a Canadian team go that far (not that anyone would notice, but still)!

Hey, wait a minute. When Montreal made their run there was national coverage.  It is possible people will pay attention if a Canadian team does well again.

Hey, wait a minute. When Montreal made their run there was national coverage.  It is possible people will pay attention if a Canadian team does well again.

Yeah, but how many people with an interest in soccer, percentage wise, even know the CCL exists? It really is very few people who even know about this competition among soccer fans, let alone the general population. But, either way, I would get excited if a Canadian team went far for sure!

Personally I think Liga MX football is really fun to watch.  I love the atmosphere.  One of my favorite leagues worldwide to watch.  They televised the CCL this year that didn't even have MLS teams (they were all eliminated), and although the games were okay, I thought they weren't as exciting as some of the actual Liga MX games I saw.  

Know what would be a good final, although neither team qualified this year?  The Galaxy vs the Xolos.  

I love the CCL :) It could use a non-Mexican champion, like a more modern era MLS squad to win the thing just to make it feel more contested, AND to bring more fans to it from north of the Mexican border.  Part of the problem is that Liga MX has absolutely dominated the CCL so much, that it always feels like another Liga MX trophy.  Particularly in the last decade. 

Ok congrats Montreal. It is another big chance to represent Canada . Hopefully don ' t waste the Golden opportunity to qualify for the next round as it happened in the 2013-2014 CONCACAF champions League when Montreal faced a weak team as Heredia in Guatemala without their best players and lost 1-0 .

Archived