Beckham and the Miami Fusion???

msilverstein47

Pro sports in Florida is terrible, most of the teams are at the bottom half of attendance and revenue in every league.

NHL team values rank (per Forbes)

Florida 23

Tampa 29

MLB

Miami 26

Tampa bay 30

NBA

Miami 7

Orlando 15

NFL

Miami 16

Jacksonville 31

Aside from the Heat, Florida is a terrible place for pro sports, I don't think the Fusion will do well.

Pro sports in Florida is terrible, most of the teams are at the bottom half of attendance and revenue in every league.

Including the Heat, Florida is a terrible place for pro sports, I don't think the Fusion will do well.

Fixed your post. The Heat is 7th mostly because they have the best and most marketable team in the league. Before the decision, they had the top scorer of the league and a playoff team and the team was drawing flies.

So what is the problem with Florida then? Too much nice weather means everyone always has something better to do, or what is it? Either way, Orlando City had some pretty good numbers in USL Pro (for the tier) last season, and the influx of a BUNCH of Florida teams at the same time could create some rivalries

I wouldn't count this one dead until the box is open.

Fixed your post. The Heat is 7th mostly because they have the best and most marketable team in the league. Before the decision, they had the top scorer of the league and a playoff team and the team was drawing flies.

Yes, it is rather modern the Heat are are rated so highly correct.

So what is the problem with Florida then? Too much nice weather means everyone always has something better to do, or what is it? Either way, Orlando City had some pretty good numbers in USL Pro (for the tier) last season, and the influx of a BUNCH of Florida teams at the same time could create some rivalries

I wouldn't count this one dead until the box is open.

The biggest problem is College Football and NASCAR are the big things in that state. Not to mention many seniors who don't care about sports and transplants from other states or areas that only care when their home team shows up.

The Fusion were doing reasonably OK the first time around from what I remember. The problem was that the I/O that they had wasn't in the same wealth league as Lamar Hunt and Philip Anschutz and couldn't afford the cash calls the league was making to keep the franchises that were still playing in huge NFL and college football stadiums afloat.

The biggest problem is College Football and NASCAR are the big things in that state. Not to mention many seniors who don't care about sports and transplants from other states or areas that only care when their home team shows up.

Possibly, but I think the demographics have changed a lot since they last tried it in Miami. Even higher latino population, for example. Not only that, but the league has grown making soccer more attractive in general.

The Fusion were doing reasonably OK the first time around from what I remember. The problem was that the I/O that they had wasn't in the same wealth league as Lamar Hunt and Philip Anschutz and couldn't afford the cash calls the league was making to keep the franchises that were still playing in huge NFL and college football stadiums afloat.

Miami was playing at Lockhart stadium had the best eam in the league and was 9th out of 12 teams in attendance

a bit of a detective story...but I kinda like the return of the Fusion...

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/will-david-beckham-name-team-miami-fusion-fc

http://factfinder2.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/DEC/10_DP/DPDP1/0500000US12086

Some reading of the demographics of Miami and some extrapolations lead me to believe Miami is in fact a small market for MLS, that combined with per capita income levels .... well its makes having 30k stadium not viable, and I wonder if they can sustain 20k stadia on a ongoin basis.

Almost 900,000 Miami residents claim Cuban descent, hispanic yes, but not from a soccer nation. The numbers of second or third generation persons in the above 900k may well have some interest in soccer, but I suspect its a lot less then market in Toronto.

A demographic comparison of the two populations reveals a lot for anyone willing to do some reading and make some assumptions.

I actually think a second MLS or NASL franchise in Toronto can be more successfull as a cash machine then a Miami soccer franchise even if its made "hip" by having Beckham and friends investing.

All that said a SSS in downtown on waterfront at the Cruise Port may well work, but its not going to be Seattle or Portland type market.

Per capita income Toronto [TABLE=width: 0]

[TR]

[TD]2012 Per Capita $[/TD]

[TD=align: right]37,613[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Per capita income Miami/Dade $21,044

source ( http://www.bestplaces.net/economy/county/florida/miami-dade )

NHL team values rank (per Forbes)

Florida 23

Tampa 29

MLB

Miami 26

Tampa bay 30

NBA

Miami 7

Orlando 15

NFL

Miami 16

Jacksonville 31

Aside from the Heat, Florida is a terrible place for pro sports, I don't think the Fusion will do well.

And where exactly are Orlando City FC on this list? They seem to have done pretty well for themselves.

And where exactly are Orlando City FC on this list? They seem to have done pretty well for themselves.

Those are Forbes' numbers, I don't think Forbes rates Second Division North America clubs.

I know in 2012 OCSC had about 3.5k season ticket holders in a 5.3k stadium, so not too bad.

The only way Miami works out is if a quality rivalry can established between the two clubs in Florida, even then the fickleness of Florida sports fans is a very large risk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived