Whitecaps vs San Jose Earthquakes July 22 (R)

Soccerpro

1-1 so far. Richards with an early goal, Gordon equalizes. San Jose running the show after the Caps had the better of play in the first 10 mins.

Side note - Camilo is awful so far. Put Canadian soccer Jesus on instead of him please. Mattocks still learning to play the simple ball instead of the difficult one. Robson isn't getting involved much, San Jose are so dangerous.

1-1 so far. Richards with an early goal, Gordon equalizes. San Jose running the show after the Caps had the better of play in the first 10 mins.

Side note - Camilo is awful so far. Put Canadian soccer Jesus on instead of him please. Mattocks still learning to play the simple ball instead of the difficult one. Robson isn't getting involved much, San Jose are so dangerous.

Yes, I think they should sell Camilo he tries to do too much and Rennie's success has come from strong team play. They look good against a strong SJ team.

That's nine for Alan Gordon this year. He's been shockingly prolific and I kind of wish we still had him in Toronto. No offence to RJ who has his qualities but Alan is a finisher.

That's nine for Alan Gordon this year. He's been shockingly prolific and I kind of wish we still had him in Toronto. No offence to RJ who has his qualities but Alan is a finisher.

Gordon was good with TFC when he played. The problem was he was injured so much, he didn't play very often. That guy was made of glass.

Gordon was good with TFC when he played. The problem was he was injured so much, he didn't play very often. That guy was made of glass.

True although after he was traded, it was discovered that he was suffering from a very difficult to diagnosis type of sports hernia. Since he had the surgery and has recovered, he has been playing much more regularly.

Great match from the Caps that's 6 of 9 points against the quakes this year. Nice to see them close this one out and take 3rd spot again. Robson looking ever so dangerous. Richards and Lee finding success down the right. Miller makes debut and looked alright. Camilo had a so-so game had a few good runs at defenders and drew the decisive PK, though most of the game looks out of place with the rest of the team.

If my memory is correct, he wanted out and that was why they traded him. But i have to agree, he was pretty good. I am not sure that he would partner well with Kouvermans.

One thing that stood out for me, was how direct both teams played. This was route one soccer. You could tell the cultural influences of the coaching staffs on each team. I have never doubted that direct, physical, long ball, hit and hope and what ever else you want to call it, can be entertaining. And it was an entertaining game with lots pace and good runs. And its probably the way to success in MLS; it is a physical and athletic league.

But the problem i have always had is that it is only effective to point. the countries who play that way have dropped back and others have been forced to change or dapt. i maintain that it is not effective in internationals soccer not is it the right culture to build. Even in Concacaf, Canada have failed playing that way, esepcially in the nineties. The climate in central america is conducive to it and the referees in Concacaf are whistle happy and cant keep the yellow and red cards in their pockets.

One thing that stood out for me, was how direct both teams played. This was route one soccer. You could tell the cultural influences of the coaching staffs on each team. I have never doubted that direct, physical, long ball, hit and hope and what ever else you want to call it, can be entertaining. And it was an entertaining game with lots pace and good runs. And its probably the way to success in MLS; it is a physical and athletic league.

But the problem i have always had is that it is only effective to point. the countries who play that way have dropped back and others have been forced to change or dapt. i maintain that it is not effective in internationals soccer not is it the right culture to build. Even in Concacaf, Canada have failed playing that way, esepcially in the nineties. The climate in central america is conducive to it and the referees in Concacaf are whistle happy and cant keep the yellow and red cards in their pockets.

Well, that and as far as MLS goes the officiating quality has a long way to go.

They seem to be slow to realize things like obstruction of players running off the ball, targeted and repeated fouls of the opposing team's star attacking players, etc... All and all too much clutching, grabbing, and misc garbage. I think that until that is significantly cleaned up, it's still going to be an environment where physical prowless pays and technical play will be discounted.

Free Kick, thanks for that. You were being nice I thought.

Been to the last two matches and seen a few more since being back in Van this summer.

The Caps may get more points and results, but they are less entertaining to watch than last season. In 2011 we were naive and young and new, now we are more settled, but the football is not good. I would say the same about Rennie: he gets results but his football knowledge is limited and there are those atrocious things that a Scot can't see you have to put up with. Like having ****e passers on your squad and not caring, as if it were okay. Or the keeper always kicking out to no one. Or being a tactical dinosaur, sticking to a formation even if the wrong players are in it (Camilo's ball skills wasted on the wing, Mattocks being played like a target man when he is pretty useless at it, however hardworking, Robson and Koffie not sure who is supposed to go where) the wrong things happen (we do not dominate and we play like a team that has never practiced together), and those there are unsure what to do (Cannon half tries to play out, the backs half try to help then give up and turn their backs on the goal kicks, the ball flies high up and straight to the other team).

I think there is basically one reason why we have a better record this year, and it is not the signings nor the coaching nor BC Place or anything like that. It is Demerit, who is a helluva good player. And Bonjour very reliable beside him. A strong centre defense, competent backs, and Cannon solid. The back 5, with Demerit key. No wonder we have a winning record and are in a playoff spot with one of the worst attacks in the league and more goals against than for.

Final note: BC Place ambience is bad, sorry to say. It is acoustics, for sure, as the Southside does its stuff. But it is more, since even last year at Empire the energy was way better. There were vocal supporters all over the stadium, while this year it is Southsiders and similar and nothing else. That I have seen. Vs. Galaxy I have never seen a duller, more stultified bcrowd. Today in fact a bit better, but still. The feeling is not lively, not fun, it is dull as hell. One reason I think that cannot help is this: we have no crowd favourite, no player the fans really identify with, and so no point of focus and support.

In a league like MLS you take your points and move on to the next game. I think the back 5 have been superb this year. It was very good to see Rochat at LB again. Harvey has been okay there but he is not the 2 way player that Rochat is. Lee is just amazing on the right and our center of Bonjour and JD is solid if somewhat risky and slow. In front of that you have JMD and Gersh so your back 6 or 7 are all solid most games and when one does have an off game the others manage to cover. Regardless of what formation we are in offensively we always collapse back to the 4-5-1 with very few blown coverages. Solid if somewhat stiffling Italian style football.

We are the only playoff team with negative +/- (-1 ATM). 9 clean sheets will do that for you. It is a solid team defense that keeps getting us points so I won't complain. We are starting to score more goals. 10 of our goals against came in 3 losses so that skews the stats a bit. Those were the nights when 3 or 4 of our back 7 had bad nights at the same time.

The direct soccer is a solid strategy if you have players in the back like Lee & Rochat (and Koffie more and more) who can pass long and accurate to speed players like Richards (amazing last night) and Mattocks. Rennie has definately decided to go with a speed plan up front and forego the hold up game (hence the trade of Hassli). Strong defense and a fast counter attack are a workable plan with this lineup.

Archived