Canadians abroad: May 11-17, 2012

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for May 11-17, 2012.

• If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

• If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

• Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

REB scored three goals in a 17:1 win over FSV Fuhsetal. No youth players took part this time, so no Nika. One friendly left before the players can go on vacation (those post-season friendlies are mainly for marketing).

Barsalona played 90 minutes in a 2:1 win over Osnabrück II. Currently Eintracht II are on a promotion spot to the Regionalliga.

And a new signing for next season - Bourgault's Preußen Münster teammate Björn Kluft. He is an offensive player, but likely not one comepting for the same position as REB.

In other crazy scores news out of Germany, Occean scored 5 goals in a 24-0 Furth win in a friendly:

http://www.nordbayern.de/sport/kleeblatt-siegt-in-konigsberg-24-0-1.2067594

These kinds of games never fail to make me laugh. I can just see the conversation at Fürth:

Occean: Can I go home to Canada now?

Fürth Management: No, we have to pound on a few Kresiliga teams before you go.

Occean: Oh. Okay.

ROMANIA

- Borjan got the clean sheet as Vaslui earned their 7th straight win after defeating Sprotul Studentesc 1-0.

SWITZERLAND

- Simpson was subbed off in the 65th minute as Young Boys drew Thun 2-2

ENGLAND

-Hoilett played 90 as Blackburn fell 2-1 to Chelsea

SCOTLAND

-Haber was an unused sub as St Johnstone fell in their last game of the season 0-4 to Rangers

These kinds of games never fail to make me laugh. I can just see the conversation at Fürth:

Occean: Can I go home to Canada now?

Fürth Management: No, we have to pound on a few Kresiliga teams before you go.

Occean: Oh. Okay.

There's basically a one-day-county fair around those games. The players give tons of autographs, pose for pictures, there are tombolas, food stands... and tickets cost almost as much as a league game. Not bringing your star players would really be seen as poor form.

Anyway, final post season friendly for Eintracht - REB scored 4 against SV Meinersen (result was 15:0).

There's basically a one-day-county fair around those games. The players give tons of autographs, pose for pictures, there are tombolas, food stands... and tickets cost almost as much as a league game. Not bringing your star players would really be seen as poor form.

Anyway, final post season friendly for Eintracht - REB scored 4 against SV Meinersen (result was 15:0).

That's a good way to put it. Kind of like if a Canadian NHL team went to a small town and played their beer league team. It's a cool idea for the fans and I would love to have said that I played against a Bundesliga team.

I'm keen to see if REB will be involved with WCQ in June.

^^ Cluj (lead co-owners) are playing their 32nd today against bottom-dwellers Mioveni. Lets hope for a draw?

alas, Cluj won 5-0.. Vaslui is back in 2nd

Cluj still has a game against Steaua Bucharest (I think ...) so there is still hope if Vaslui can close out their next two games, they can pull it off!

No matter what happens with the title race, you have to figure Vaslui will make Borjan's move permanent over the summer.

I don't know anything about this club - but I just hope they are on the up and up if you know what I mean. Let's not forget it was only a year ago Ricketts club finished second and look at that gong show. I just hope they finish top 2 so Milan gets some Champions League exposure and maybe a bigger club they play against likes what they see.

Vaslui wins 2-1 and is tied at top with Cluj though Cluj has a game in hand and better goal differential. If Steaua does not win against Dinamo tomorrow Vaslui is guaranteed 2nd place and a CL spot. Watched the 2nd half and it was a pretty dull game without much action for Borjan despite Otelul pressing for an equalizer. Still a decent level of play similar to what Lars is seeing in Norway but definitely a step down from the Turkish league though more balanced play, ie. not all offense like in Turkey and constant action for the keeper. Borjan made a couple of saves in extra time though they were more poor finishes from players in dangerous spots than exceptional saves.

Never underestimate the gong show that is Romanian soccer. Just ask Lars Hirschfeld or Tosaint Ricketts

Well considering he was gong showed at Sivasspor I think he'll take UCL action over sitting in the stands.

Archived