What are our chances to get past the knock out round?

derofan

3 will probably be enough, the only problem with that though is that we'd likely end up playing Mexico. 4 is more than doable. I'd be extremely disappointed if we don't end up with all 6 still up for grabs

Not anymore, ES already has four pts with a 0 goal diff. Guatemala faces Grenada (who have conceded ten goals so far) in their last game, so they will very likely be on four pts with positive goal diff. We are currently on three points with a minus one goal diff. We will need to beat Panama in order to advance. This is probably just as good because we must show that we can beat this kind of side in the bigger picture. So we won't be going into this game with that fall back position.

This. Canada should consider the tournament a let down if it doesn't finish 2nd in its Group with 6 points.

What I was hoping to see was not placement but some indication that:

1) that we don't get dominated by the two superpowers in the region

2) that we can confidently play against the next tier (CRC, Hon, Jam....) even if we lose.

3) that we can control the play against anyone below that group (eg.: Panama) and defeat them.

4) that we can score goals and creatively create chances. That's means, every now and then, score two goals in a match against a top eight side in the region.

Right now it's point number 4 that has me most concerned.

Do I have this right?

Win by 1 we face Mexico at the Meadolands

Win by 2 or 3 we face Jamaica at RFK

Win by 4 or more we face El Salvador at RFK

btw El Salvador gets massive crowds at RFK.

If Hart has the players bring up the Intensity and move the ball with one and two touch while playing way more diagonal balls behind the outside defenders, then I would say a Jamaica quarter final is possible. He also needs to get Simpson and Jackson way more involved on the width and this will create much better chances for Gerba on the net.

Head to head matchups are the first tie-breaker. If we win and are level on points with Panama, we are ahead of them in the standings. If we are level on points with the US, they are ahead of us regardless of goal difference.

The problem is that it is a three way tie (if we beat panama and the US win their next game), with each team beating one of the other two and losing to one of the other two. Thus no head-to-head tie break. Goal differential will be the true tiebreaker, and we are currently -1, US +1, Panama +2.

The problem is that it is a three way tie (if we beat panama and the US win their next game), with each team beating one of the other two and losing to one of the other two. Thus no head-to-head tie break. Goal differential will be the true tiebreaker, and we are currently -1, US +1, Panama +2.

So if we win by 2 goals we would be second in the group!

Archived