Capital City FC Fan Page

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was playing with St. Anthony in the OCSL last season. I believe he was injured for a bit this winter, but is now back fit and playing. My guess is that he will be with St. Anthony again (who were relegated to division 1) or with the Ottawa Royals.

I dont think hes with Royals, i have a friend who plays with them and he didn't say he has been out with them.

It can't be said enough how brutal brutal brutal the venue is. Steel benches in the stands that were awful to sit on 20 years ago haven't magically gotten better. The track makes it feel that you're miles from the action. The acoustics of the PA system are just lol. The scoreboard sits across 8 laps of track, across the field, and across another 8 laps of track. Could almost make out the score and time on the clock from the stands.

The crowd seemed a decent size. Mainly Ottawa South United teams of various age groups. Seemed like a decent amount of people there to support Toronto Croatia. Unfortunately, the atmosphere of the crowd was non-existent. Only noise made was when there was a promise of free t-shirts being tossed into the crowd. There is talk of a supporters group on Facebook, but if they are organized at all, I didn't see any evidence of it tonight.

I wasn't very dedicated fan tonight. Left at about 65' with CCFC down 0-2, and the clouds getting darker and the lightning getting closer.

No come on your just being negative. Did you see how great the venue looked today I'm not sure if you know but only two other CSL teams could ever have a venue as well done as CCFC did today and that is TFC and MTL Academy. I volunteered today and all the fans were actually very pleased with everything and even a couple of the Toronto Croatia players told me how great the stadium looked. There was a good size crowd that came out and the atmosphere was decent considering it was the first game and new about CCFC is still going around. The game itself was quite well played by the team for the first 15-20 minutes then things went somewhat down hill from there which led to them going behind 2-0 down. I think everyone played good with it being their first game but I think the defence needs work because it was shaky the whole game. I think the squad that was put out was good but some players I feel should have been in the starting line up but its the first game so things will get better. Well done to CCFC!.

It can't be said enough how brutal brutal brutal the venue is. Steel benches in the stands that were awful to sit on 20 years ago haven't magically gotten better. The track makes it feel that you're miles from the action. The acoustics of the PA system are just lol. The scoreboard sits across 8 laps of track, across the field, and across another 8 laps of track. Could almost make out the score and time on the clock from the stands.

The crowd seemed a decent size. Mainly Ottawa South United teams of various age groups. Seemed like a decent amount of people there to support Toronto Croatia. Unfortunately, the atmosphere of the crowd was non-existent. Only noise made was when there was a promise of free t-shirts being tossed into the crowd. There is talk of a supporters group on Facebook, but if they are organized at all, I didn't see any evidence of it tonight.

I wasn't very dedicated fan tonight. Left at about 65' with CCFC down 0-2, and the clouds getting darker and the lightning getting closer.

Wow, it wasn't that bad at all.

Steel benches weren't as good as seats but wasn't horrible. The PA needs work, but the atmosphere of the crowd I found rather good. Lot's of OSU kids but it's opening night they should be there.

Totally agree about the scoreboard though, you need binoculars to see it.

If you left at 65' you missed a couple good chances to score near the end and a crowd(at least where I was sitting) urging their team on. I think the fact we never scored subdued the a bit crowd.

I will say one thing that was brutal, our passing. WOW

The team was thrown together in such a short time it was easy to spot our lack of cohesion but hopefully a few more practices will clear some of that up.

Harrison looked dangerous, Irwin was solid and Silva near the end showed some impressive moves on the ball that got a cheer from the crowd.

Overall I found it a good opening night.

Harrison looked dangerous, Irwin was solid and Silva near the end showed some impressive moves on the ball that got a cheer from the crowd.

Overall I found it a good opening night.

"Axeman" I couldn't agree more with you about those three lads Harrison played quite well got himself in some good positions, played the ball quite well and had a voice on him. I can see why Irwin was selected as captain he had a solid game other than the two goals which were not his fault and we all know about our superstar Sullivan great game from him and I know we will see a lot more from him. Not to be negative though but I feel we were missing players in defense and midfield that could have helped, I think Demar would have done WAY better than Babgy who had a disappointing game and Codroy wasn't much better but showed some good glimpse. Also I feel Merette and Soglo should have started in midfield these lads are way more experienced and I feel they would have done much better yesterday.

Okay the good stuff, if you go get a vip ticket and sit in the endzone west or east both have good craft beer at 6.75 per glass served by great services staff.

Last night in the East end VIP thick meaty ribs, bar bq chicken slaw and potatoe salad to go along with best beer in any Canadian stadium....take that Budwieser oh yes the nosh was part of the price very very good deal. When the ultras come down the VIP should be rocking ...LOL.

Lots of folks in the VIP area, league officials and CSA Secretary nice he could come out for the coin toss.

Night was perfect sunny warm after a cold wet spring the weather was not hold back for anyone coming out even if the end had a few dribbles of rain.

Okay so the game as seen from the endzone.......

Croatia not all that impressive some good players I liked the long haired kid number 10 he played intelligently did not force situations where is size could not win him ball, hopefully the Capital City guys picked up on some of his play style.

Capital City.. played the game at 100 miles an hour... horrible first touch all over the pitch, not much vision of the game they need to settle the midfield and get some of the players talking, most attack came from the right side and was soon shut down as it became apparent attacking on the left not there, when your one dimensional you are deeply vunerable.

There were some chances they may get better near the net but the crosses were a bit to deep for the Capital city fowards to take advantage of .. Silva will need to keep at it and hope the forwards start to time runs better to get to the place he is crossing the ball too.

Second goal on the Keeper Irwin all his fault... cheeky flick over his six foot height when he came out to challenge a smart play by the croats.

Its going to be a long season the coach has assembled a junior college team hoping they can outrun the opposition but he does not have unlimited subs to put in and his players mentally cant play a full ninety and keep focus let alone adjust to adversity.

2 to 0 is a good result for Capital City FC but they have to know they are going to find five to zero score lines are coming in the horizon.

No evidence of a fan base other then parents of players and those players brought in uniforms of Ottawa South United, if the owner wants to run a club that is aiming for familys as fans he is going to drop a lot of cash this year my rough guess of attendance under 500, lots of sponsors tickets in VIP who will not be back.... its going to be a long season.

That said if you are a football fan and in Ottawa you should go stand behind the net in the East end drink good cold craft brewed beer and let out a few modern day fustrations.

I will leave commenting on what i suspect is a naive game plan till a few more games in to see fi the coach knows how to adjust to what he has gotten into.

To any players who might read the comments guys talk more communicate you are far to quiet..... when you make a overlapping run from middle on the right let silva know you are coming or else he is going to be stuck doing the pagode step and getting the ball stripped cause no help was near him.

Comments by others about distance from pitch ..and scoreboard etc are right on, this is not a football friendly stadia its a high school track and field facility and training sight for Ottawa Lions track and field club.

No ATM available so if you need cash bring it before the game they had interact for tickets but not for beer..perhaps an oversite that could be changed.

I think Demar would have done WAY better than Babgy who had a disappointing game

Agree, Bagby's passing was the worst of the bunch and looked lost out there. Hopefully it was just a bad game for him. Irwin's diving save off the Tor/Cro free kick outside the box minutes into the match was excellent, and he was vocal throughout. IMO great choice as captain, and was hung out to dry on the two goals.

TORONTO CROATIA 2,

CAPITAL CITY FC 0

The traditional stereotype of hooliganism at soccer games was turned inside out Friday night at the Terry Fox Athletic Facility as the Capital City FC made their Canadian Soccer League debut in a familyoriented setting.

The 2-0 loss to Toronto Croatia was a disappointment, obviously, but the1,142 spectators saw an entertaining game, were provided with entertainment for the kids and some pampering for the adults in the Platinum Zone.

With 12 more home games remaining in the regular season, team owner Neil Malhotra says it will only get better.

"We'll expand a lot more on the entertainment component as we go. Soccer is pretty straight forward, but the thing we really want to foster is the traditional supportive culture you get in soccer," Malhotra said.

"What made Toronto FC really successful at this level is that their crowds are almost a bigger spectacle than the game. If we can achieve a little fraction of that and it can start to get a little contagious, that will be good. It's a very interactive sport with the singing and the chanting."

A few wins would also go a long way to building the type of atmosphere Malhotra is trying to attain. Capital City were done in by a goal from the 2010 CSL scoring leader and MVP Tihomir Maletic, who scored his second goal of the season in the 33rd minute and another from Lee Hagerdon in the 63rd minute.

Maletic, who had 14 goals in 24 games last year, had the only marker for his team last week as Toronto Croatia lost their season opener 2-1 to the St. Catharines Wolves.

"We need to be better, don't we?" was the reaction of Capital City coach Shaun Harris. "We can't come into a league with more experienced players, and come into a game and let players push us around. We're young, we're dynamic and we need to play our game. If we play our game, we'll be just fine."

Capital City had some opportunities early on, but it was evident they were a little nervous as all too often balls were directed over the intended mark.

While the spectators seemed happy, Harris was not. "We just haven't played our game and that's not what we want the people to expect. We need to be better," the coach said.

They'll have a chance to be better next weekend with a pair of games in the Toronto area before returning home to face the Brampton City United on June 3.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/start+Capital+City/4820147/story.html#ixzz1N5XRCG7F

TORONTO CROATIA 2,

CAPITAL CITY FC 0

The traditional stereotype of hooliganism at soccer games was turned inside out Friday night at the Terry Fox Athletic Facility as the Capital City FC made their Canadian Soccer League debut in a familyoriented setting.

Funny fifth word in the lead ... hooliganism, gotta wonder what the sports department thinks about football

"We'll expand a lot more on the entertainment component as we go. not sure he has a clear idea of who it is he wants to market too.... Soccer is pretty straight forward, but the thing we really want to foster is the traditional supportive culture you get in soccer," Malhotra said.

"What made Toronto FC really successful at this level...

So the owner is saying this is MLS level, geez not a wonder sponsers thought they were in same league as TFC, sigh ... is that their crowds are almost a bigger spectacle than the game. If we can achieve a little fraction of that and it can start to get a little contagious, that will be good. It's a very interactive sport with the singing and the chanting."

Then you need to market to a different crowd not to mini soccer players more interested in slushys then the game

"We need to be better, don't we?"... Well he is realizing one thing .. the we included the coach....was the reaction of Capital City coach Shaun Harris. "We can't come into a league with more experienced players, and come into a game and let players push us around......and you cant hope to beat them on brawn only you have to start coaching..... We're young, we're dynamic and we need to play our game. If we play our game,......just what is your game run at hundred miles an hour and hope for the best i.e. Pelerud route one soccer ..sigh .. have they not learned yet it does not work..... we'll be just fine."

Capital City had some opportunities early on, but it was evident they were a little nervous as all too often balls were directed over the intended mark.....right on that score

While the spectators seemed happy, Harris was not. "We just haven't played our game..... what is your game.. come on tell us... what you want to create so we know who to blame players who cant play or a coach who has no system .......and that's not what we want the people to expect. We need to be better," the coach said.

They'll have a chance to be better next weekend with a pair of games in the Toronto area before returning home to face the Brampton City United on June 3.0-3 out of Toronto by end of the weekend

TORONTO CROATIA 2,

CAPITAL CITY FC 0

Funny fifth word in the lead ... hooliganism, gotta wonder what the sports department thinks about football

"We'll expand a lot more on the entertainment component as we go. not sure he has a clear idea of who it is he wants to market too.... Soccer is pretty straight forward, but the thing we really want to foster is the traditional supportive culture you get in soccer," Malhotra said.

"What made Toronto FC really successful at this level...

So the owner is saying this is MLS level, geez not a wonder sponsers thought they were in same league as TFC, sigh ... is that their crowds are almost a bigger spectacle than the game. If we can achieve a little fraction of that and it can start to get a little contagious, that will be good. It's a very interactive sport with the singing and the chanting."

Then you need to market to a different crowd not to mini soccer players more interested in slushys then the game

"We need to be better, don't we?"... Well he is realizing one thing .. the we included the coach....was the reaction of Capital City coach Shaun Harris. "We can't come into a league with more experienced players, and come into a game and let players push us around......and you cant hope to beat them on brawn only you have to start coaching..... We're young, we're dynamic and we need to play our game. If we play our game,......just what is your game run at hundred miles an hour and hope for the best i.e. Pelerud route one soccer ..sigh .. have they not learned yet it does not work..... we'll be just fine."

Capital City had some opportunities early on, but it was evident they were a little nervous as all too often balls were directed over the intended mark.....right on that score

While the spectators seemed happy, Harris was not. "We just haven't played our game..... what is your game.. come on tell us... what you want to create so we know who to blame players who cant play or a coach who has no system .......and that's not what we want the people to expect. We need to be better," the coach said.

They'll have a chance to be better next weekend with a pair of games in the Toronto area before returning home to face the Brampton City United on June 3.0-3 out of Toronto by end of the weekend

I'm guessing you're a "glass is half empty" kinda guy.

TC are always a tough team to play. No shame in dropping a 2-0 result to them. Malatic is a very good striker and they have a lot of quality, experienced players. They are also unafraid to play very physically when necessary.

It is going to take time for the CCFC squad (especially the coaching staff) to get used to the league. Not having anyone on the roster with experience is going to hurt a little at first. If, as Trillium stated, they have opted to play a Route 1, full speed style, they may need to rethink that, especially in July and August when they are playing midday games on burning hot turf fields in the GTA (especially when it is the 2nd game in 3 days on the road). It is really hard to play that style.

CCFC is going to be an interesting team to follow this summer.

I'm guessing you're a "glass is half empty" kinda guy.

No actually more of how to fill the glass to overflowing kinda guy... you have to analyze your issues, find solutions to them and move forward, running a soccer club is harder then most folks realize you have business issues and field issues, they both have to be balanced to get maximum results.

The owner of the club has no track record in soccer, he is in deep, he has hired young and inexperienced there will be costs associated with it. A smart consultant hire would have been to pick up VpJr ran club last year good long term background, it is not to late it could help stabilize the club head office to have such a voice on the board even for the short term.

Good news to the guys who hated the game, CCFC just tweeted that they want feedback from attendees to find out how to improve the atmosphere.

Before giving up on the team entirely though, I would like to point out that it wasn't just a first game of the season, but of all time. Oh, and it was against one of the perennial favourites of the CSL, no less.

Archived