CDN WNT Sponsorships

StrandOne

Here's your chance to share your ideas on who would make an ideal sponsor for the women's national team(s) and appealing activations that would bring that sponsorship to life.

If you could get any company to say "Yes, we'll partner with the WNT on their Road to the World Cup" who are your Top 3 choices to approach, why and what's key to bringing that sponsorship to life IN THE PUBLIC EYE?

What kind of programs or initiatives could you see bridging the gaps between local clubs, the NT, and corporations?

Thanks guys,

INGRID

The first would be Keiths as they're adds seem less testosterone driven unlike Molson Canadian. It would fit pretty good with the WNT.

The second would be Roots as they are good with Canadian Sport properties like our Olympic teams.

Lululemon Athletica so they can redeem themselves from their Olympic scandal and properly sponsor our WNT. A good way to market it is by showing commercials of the WNT members doing Yoga in said apparel. The apparel has to be red though due to the Canadian nature of it.

I'm assuming the team will be popular among soccer playing girls who will be at or approaching the age of wanting their first cell phone. Therefore I'd recommend going after wireless providers. Basketball Canada got a solid deal from Bell for both their men's and women's teams although that did include a shirt sponsorship which isn't possible in soccer.

Another good target would be high end Canadian grocers like Loblaw and Metro. If soccer playing girls and/or their soccer moms are watching it gives them a chance to target middle to upper income families more inclined to have large grocery bills. I know it would likely be the cliche orange slice soccer ads but Metro does that with TFC.

Great thread. I'll give it some thought. Off the top of my head are the banks and the four national telcos (Bell, Telus, Rogers and Wind). Very capital intensive and promotionally competitive market. Wind is the baby nationally but they sponsor Roma's jersey in Italy. And although RIM don't dovetail in you could probably include them as well.

When the World Cup and U20 hosting is announced that's a very big bow in the arrow.

I'm assuming the team will be popular among soccer playing girls who will be at or approaching the age of wanting their first cell phone. Therefore I'd recommend going after wireless providers. Basketball Canada got a solid deal from Bell for both their men's and women's teams although that did include a shirt sponsorship which isn't possible in soccer.

Another good target would be high end Canadian grocers like Loblaw and Metro. If soccer playing girls and/or their soccer moms are watching it gives them a chance to target middle to upper income families more inclined to have large grocery bills. I know it would likely be the cliche orange slice soccer ads but Metro does that with TFC.

They also need to go after the young, horny, male demographic. Watching some of the WNT members wearing tight, fitted lululemon clothing that brings out their figures is ideal.

They also need to go after the young, horny, male demographic. Watching some of the WNT members wearing tight, fitted lululemon clothing that brings out their figures is ideal.

Can someone tell me if this guy is for real or not? I can't tell. Seriously. WTF? Vic, help me out here. Is Macksam being for real or just pullin' my leg?

Can someone tell me if this guy is for real or not? I can't tell. Seriously. WTF? Vic, help me out here. Is Macksam being for real or just pullin' my leg?

I'm for real Ingrid. I did some sport marketing courses during my time in University so stuff like this is right up my alley. I admit, the whole reasoning behind Lululemon was tongue and cheek and a little offensive so I do apologize about that. However, I still think it's a good sponsor for the WNT for the intial reason as they would be good in showing off the apparel.

Yeah I don't know. His logic kind of reminds me of the underwear gnomes' business plan from South Park. Somehow I don't see myself running to the store for a sexy pair of tight yoga pants no matter how good the girls look in them lol.

Well, the girls would be the one's who would go and buy the apparel for themselves. I just thought showing them in a sexy light would get guys more interested in the national team in general, not the lululemon. Again, that whole angel was just a lame attempt at me being funny.

Lots of great brands being suggested here. Questions would be how many would conflict with existing CSA sponsor deals already in place with the CSA. Also Soccer Properties/IMG still gets a piece of the action as they can't be bypassed due to their contract with the CSA.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/directory/partners.asp

Presently the CSA just signed a new kit/clothing deal with Umbro/Nike, telecommunications sponsor is Telus and so on. Like the Teck deal, WNT sponsors will need to specify in the contract funds only for the WNT and WP otherwise funds go into general.

My best wishes for sponsors -

Apple

Air Canada

Lululemon

Roots

MAC Cosmetics

La Senza

Jamieson Natural Sources

Fruits & Passion

Mars Canada

GMC

Lots of great brands being suggested here. Questions would be how many would conflict with existing CSA sponsor deals already in place with the CSA... Like the Teck deal, WNT sponsors will need to specify in the contract funds only for the WNT and WP otherwise funds go into general.

My best wishes for sponsors-- Apple, Air Canada, Lululemon, Roots, MAC Cosmetics, La Senza, Jamieson Natural Sources, Fruits & Passion, Mars Canada, GMC

Great insight, Coach Rich. Timing may be a big issue in going after some of the larger corps with massive hierarchies and budgets. I'm sure companies as large as Apple, GMC and Air Canada finalized marketing budgets for 2010 a year ago. What do you guys think of targeting smaller companies that are doing well like-- CarProof, Investor Group, Agrium, Gildan, Magna or Enbridge ?? (all of which are CDN based)

I hear what you're saying Macksam but essentially IMO your contribution is a sexist + lame load of crap. University marketing courses seem to have been a waste of your time. Or maybe your commentary is simply a waste of my time + attention. I hope you restrict future attempts at comedy to The Improv and that your day job isn't in marketing.

Associations like the LPGA and WTA spend a huge amount of time, money and energy on the appearance of players for marketing purposes. Clothing, makeup, hair, etc. They spare no expense. Go to a tour event and see how the players are treated and prepped for the day. It's really something and eye-opening.

There's nothing wrong with looking good, and in fact it's the basic core principle in selling anything. That means class over crass. Let's just leave it at that without inciting a holy war and insulting half the people and cultures around the world.

We have 5 major banks in this country and yet only 1 has any presence in soccer. Maybe one of the other 4 could try to cut in on BMO's turf? They have lots of money and their profits are huge.

PS. Any clothing manufacturer could do well with some of the ladies from the WNT modeling for them.

Great insight, Coach Rich. Timing may be a big issue in going after some of the larger corps with massive hierarchies and budgets. I'm sure companies as large as Apple, GMC and Air Canada finalized marketing budgets for 2010 a year ago. What do you guys think of targeting smaller companies that are doing well like-- CarProof, Investor Group, Agrium, Gildan, Magna or Enbridge ?? (all of which are CDN based)

I hear what you're saying Macksam but essentially IMO your contribution is a sexist + lame load of crap. University marketing courses seem to have been a waste of your time. Or maybe your commentary is simply a waste of my time + attention. I hope you restrict future attempts at comedy to The Improv and that your day job isn't in marketing.

Hold on, I'm trying to make peace and this is what you come back with?

We have 5 major banks in this country and yet only 1 has any presence in soccer. Maybe one of the other 4 could try to cut in on BMO's turf? They have lots of money and their profits are huge.

PS. Any clothing manufacturer could do well with some of the ladies from the WNT modeling for them.

I doubt that's going to happen. I suspect that BMO has an exclusivity clause in their deal with the CSA.

Hold on, I'm trying to make peace and this is what you come back with?

Ok I noticed the olive branch. I did. But if you're allowed to say your piece. I should be allowed my minute. I'm over it... but I wasn't going to pretend I wasn't offended... for a minute. I'm ok with moving on. U?

^

Looks like a sash of some European monarch ;-)

I'm not a fan of this kit at all as it reminds me of some of the old youth uniforms and socks we gave to overseas kids. The socks were a funny one as the pres bought hundreds of colored socks for the club just because they were a good deal.....they didn't match the club colors. Too funny...LOL

Archived