2 confirmed for Caps

tmcmurph

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature08171002.aspx

Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today the acquisition and signings of two Swiss Super League standouts in midfielder Davide Chiumiento and Canadian-born defender Alain Rochat.

So a 25 and 27 year old pair. Nice. They will not be the DPs. According to Sohen

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Whitecaps+building+roster+with+Swiss+internationals/3409695/story.html

So they will probably pay most of the money to them up front and then just the 400k against the cap per year in MLS. There must be some fun book keeping going on because each was making DP type salaries in Europe.

Wow! Two excellent signings... very very impressive. I can't believe a 25 year old on the brink of breaking into the Swiss team is coming to Vancouver.. it really shows how far this league has come. Not to mention he has also played for Italy U21s.. Juventus, Siena. Impressive for sure both players are of CMNT quality although obviously they aren't eligible

I see two things at work here with the Caps exposing potential loopholes with Porkland and Whitecaps FC having first right of refusal to their current USSF D2 rosters:

1. You can get a guy on a long term deal with year 1 (being for USSF D2) being of HUGE money, with -<$400k per year for MLS Deal, thus avoiding to have to DP tag them

2. Loading up their rosters late in this USSF D2 season with solid players, thus circumventing normal MLS Allocation rules.

This could be big, and tip us off on how much cash Mallet, Kerfoot, Nash and Co. are truly going to be splashing around either inside or outside the normal MLS rules pertaining to allocation/discovery/salary cap.

These signing just are so uplifting as a Caps fan, both these players are quality, and are gonna fixtures for Vancouver in there first MLS season. These signings have really gotten me excited to see who we bring in for DP spots.

Love the Rochat signing, he basically can play anywhere in the back 4 and MLS top quality in each of the spots. To be honest I don't know a lot about Chiumiento I have seen him play sporadically.

These signing just are so uplifting as a Caps fan, both these players are quality, and are gonna fixtures for Vancouver in there first MLS season. These signings have really gotten me excited to see who we bring in for DP spots.

Love the Rochat signing, he basically can play anywhere in the back 4 and MLS top quality in each of the spots. To be honest I don't know a lot about Chiumiento I have seen him play sporadically.

Very impresive, I like the front loading of the contract idea, very clever. I wonder if they will just start buying up more players that way?

Probably, I'd assume you'd keep doing till the MLS says something to the affect to stop you from sorta loopholing there system.

Knowing Saputo's luck/bumbling, Garber will slam all these loopholes shut just in time for us not to be able to benefit lol

Knowing Saputo's luck/bumbling, Garber will slam all these loopholes shut just in time for us not to be able to benefit lol

I don't know if would consider them loopholes, a contract is a contract and it would have to be sanctioned by the NASL/USL no? Garber i think would really have nothing to say.

Add 2 more to the list of Caps coming into the fold

US College stand out and Everton Reserve player Cody Arnoux and Former RSL's Will Forko

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature08181001.aspx

I think someone needs to make up a roster movement page for the Caps, as I'm getting lost on whos here and whos not, maybe I'll try and put one together, a little later.

Add 2 more to the list of Caps coming into the fold

US College stand out and Everton Reserve player Cody Arnoux and Former RSL's Will Forko

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature08181001.aspx

I think someone needs to make up a roster movement page for the Caps, as I'm getting lost on whos here and whos not, maybe I'll try and put one together, a little later.

I'm thinking the Caps will have MLS-D2-PDL teams next year and tear up the league with a triple crown of Cascadia, V's and MLS cups :) Okay a tad delusional but a guy's aloud to dream!

They are definitely milking the system quite well and that is a good thing. Shows you what can be accomplished when you have creative, competent people in the organization at all levels who understand the process.

Yea a scorecard would be good. I'm just checking the roster page on the Caps site before games to see who is listed this week. What a year so far and it seems they are just getting started.

I see two things at work here with the Caps exposing potential loopholes with Porkland and Whitecaps FC having first right of refusal to their current USSF D2 rosters:

1. You can get a guy on a long term deal with year 1 (being for USSF D2) being of HUGE money, with -<$400k per year for MLS Deal, thus avoiding to have to DP tag them

2. Loading up their rosters late in this USSF D2 season with solid players, thus circumventing normal MLS Allocation rules.

This could be big, and tip us off on how much cash Mallet, Kerfoot, Nash and Co. are truly going to be splashing around either inside or outside the normal MLS rules pertaining to allocation/discovery/salary cap.

Great insight JohnnyCanuck

Rochat looks to be a stud. He is going to be a standout MLS defender for sure.

This is a very clever move on their part, front loading the contract before they get to MLS to circumvent the cap - bravo.

As for the circumvention of MLS allocation rules it doesn't really apply in this situation. Allocations are only used for returning US Int'l players, the Caps would be able to sign these players next year without going through the allocation process.

First off , let me just say that I'm very jealous of the caps these days . You guys seem to have good Mgmt. in place while we are stuck with NDS .....

Second, being half Swiss, I would have loved to see either of these players in Mtl.

Chiumiento was at one point seen as the golden boy of Swiss soccer and he even waited to choose to play on the national team because he was hoping to potentially crack the Italian squad. Needles to say he never lived up to the expectations but I think that in his case the problem was clearly between the ears as he is very talented

First off , let me just say that I'm very jealous of the caps these days . You guys seem to have good Mgmt. in place while we are stuck with NDS .....

Second, being half Swiss, I would have loved to see either of these players in Mtl.

Chiumiento was at one point seen as the golden boy of Swiss soccer and he even waited to choose to play on the national team because he was hoping to potentially crack the Italian squad. Needles to say he never lived up to the expectations but I think that in his case the problem was clearly between the ears as he is very talented

In reality, Saputo and the Impact still have loads of time, I think about 2 months ago Caps fans were fretting thinking some of this was maybe coming a little to late, but it seems to be steadily flowing in right now. The time for the Impact to panic is far from now, right now its support the team and keep believing that the Management can pull together next season to really start the transition to the MLS.

Vancouver Whitecaps don't look very close to what they did a year ago, so no reason the Impact in a year from now can't show the same progression. I think Montreal is gonna really benefit from how the MLS is gonna grow this next season and half. All the new DP's and what could be 2 high selling teams and main rivalry, could really put this league on showcase for the world, and with the Impact then being the next brand new team, coming in there could be a boat load of players looking to jump on the MLS ship in a years time.

In reality, Saputo and the Impact still have loads of time, I think about 2 months ago Caps fans were fretting thinking some of this was maybe coming a little to late, but it seems to be steadily flowing in right now. The time for the Impact to panic is far from now, right now its support the team and keep believing that the Management can pull together next season to really start the transition to the MLS.

Vancouver Whitecaps don't look very close to what they did a year ago, so no reason the Impact in a year from now can't show the same progression. I think Montreal is gonna really benefit from how the MLS is gonna grow this next season and half. All the new DP's and what could be 2 high selling teams and main rivalry, could really put this league on showcase for the world, and with the Impact then being the next brand new team, coming in there could be a boat load of players looking to jump on the MLS ship in a years time.

Yeah but you had Kerfoot at that time, and teamed up with Nash.

We have Saputo...just Saputo.

Yeah just Saputo ...

How dare he give us

1) Professional Soccer

2) A SS stadium

3) An MLS Franchise

OK, you more than all people know what it's like under Saputo.

It's great he did that, yaaaay!

But ****, I'd love a non-Saputo owned professional team in this city.

Alain Rochat's name surfaced here on this board a few years ago in MNT potetntial talent. Unfortunately he is capped by the Swiss. But for MLS purposes he will probably count as a domestic. Thats Canadian in case anybody is wondering not a house keeper. Anyways, sounds like he's a good player.

Montreal has the advantage of seeing what the Whitecaps, Timbers and Sounders did right and wrong.

As said, these signings are likely coming late as to front load the majority of contract, in reality for MLS, not for any D2 play of consequence.

If the Impact are looking to follow the Whitecaps lead they have 3 months to hire a Paul Barber and 5 months to hire a Tom Soehn.

Yeah just Saputo ...

How dare he give us

1) Professional Soccer

2) A SS stadium

3) An MLS Franchise

Yes he has done a lot of great things for Montreal and soccer but it is always best with more help. You can never have too many friends (or competent people) working with you. I think we are all alluding to the ownership and management teams that Vancouver has built up.

Owners: Kerfoot, Nash, Mallet, Luczo

Management: Lenarduzzi, Sohen, Barber, Thordarson

Just to mention a few and there are others like Miller, Lewis and the rest.

We've assembled quite an excellent group so far. The owners spread the risk and bring in contacts and knowledge from their careers along with public sports persona.

Archived