Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Odd that this AGM is not at 9am just like the recent SGM when Mario was removed from ASA

Or on a friday lol.

There are some possibilities at the EMSA AGM. Who is up for election? We can dream that Mario and Ivan will have to get real jobs now...? Lots of good people in EMSa who are fed up with these guys representing them to the world. Its one thing to be a thug but to be totally incoherent and a failure is a bit too much.

This is just the actions of two people who knew they were done in ASA very soon anyway. As such, they saw no benefit personally in voting for the wishes of the ASA membership. Their future in soccer is tied to their loyalties to CSA and Mario's crew

See below the contents of an email that I sent to Chen and Calvin this morning--I would encourage other Albertans to flood their email addresses with your thoughts on their actions. They must be held accountable for the choices that they make on Alberta's behalf, and even if they choose not to publicly acknowledge what is apparent to most people, we should let them know that they are not fooling anyone!

**Email addresses can be found on Ben Knight's Onward Soccer site in the comments section of his most recent post.

Good day, gentlemen

I write to you to express my deep concern for your decision yesterday to vote against the CSA Reform Option #1. I have read your email explanation for voting as you did, but cannot help but cringe at the very arrogance of thinking that you were in a better position to make that choice than the membership who you currently represent and who made their position very clear to you.

I attended the ASA SGM and watched the Alberta membership send through their actions a very pointed message to ASA board members past, present and future that the soccer districts in Alberta insist on representation that reflects THEIR wishes, not yours, not your friends, and not your bed fellows.

Those who watched at the ASA SGM you in particular, Mr. Chen, are more convinced than ever that you may well be a person who seeks to destroy the provincial and national reputation of the very association that you were appointed to serve. It seems obvious that you have no interest in moving soccer in Alberta forward or in putting your efforts into rebuilding an association that has fallen so deeply into a state of disrepair at the hands of those who appointed you, and so you really should do the right thing and resign immediately from your very tenuous position on the ASA board. In short, we don't need or want you representing us--you give Alberta soccer a bad name, and clearly do not support the concept of rebuilding that the membership seeks.

You, Mr. Calvin, based on your foolish behavior at Tier IV Provincials this past summer in Three Hills, are clearly incapable of doing more than what you are told to do, even if it defies principles of logic or morality. Someone other than the membership obviously told you how to vote and you did on Saturday. Alberta soccer has spoken clearly to you as well--we don't want puppets representing us to the rest of the country--we want people who will act on the best interests and wishes of the memberships, and you have not been and and continue to hurt the reputation of everyone involved in soccer in this province. Please resign your board position immediately before you do any more damage to the sport in Alberta.

The entire province has waited to see how you two would conduct yourselves post-SGM and most of us were at least willing to give you a chance to prove that you cared more about the sport and helping it to grow in our province than you were about prostituting yourselves for whatever personal gain you think you might get from your actions. I hope that gain has been worth it to you, because the Alberta membership will no longer stand for the type of arrogant, dictatorial thinking that you seem to espouse. The days of board members simply doing what they want in disregard for the memberships' voices is done. You will be held accountable.

The best thing that both of you could do is IMMEDIATELY resign from the ASA board, and allow the districts to recommend appointments to conduct business until an AGM can be called as soon as possible. You do not represent soccer in Alberta--make no mistake about that.

With regret, and very little respect,

This is just the actions of two people who knew they were done in ASA very soon anyway. As such, they saw no benefit personally in voting for the wishes of the ASA membership. Their future in soccer is tied to their loyalties to CSA and Mario's crew

Maybe the new ASA BOD might want to have a hearing with Mr. Chen to ask him to explain his conduct against the unanimous vote of the ASA members? Why Mike Traficante a CSA BOD member was included in a ASA internal Email? Ask him what was Mike Traficante's involvement if any with the Reps actions prior to or at the CSA SGM?

After the hearing and the ASA BOD has some answers and if there are any issues, the ASA BOD can act further. Maybe a thank you to or the suspension of Mr Chen. If there are other issues, it certainly doesn't stop the new ASA BOD from taking them to the CSA members and the press.

Maybe the new ASA BOD might want to have a hearing with Mr. Chen to ask him to explain his conduct against the unanimous vote of the ASA members? Why Mike Traficante a CSA BOD member was included in a ASA internal Email? Ask him what was Mike Traficante's involvement if any with the Reps actions prior to or at the CSA SGM?

After the hearing and the ASA BOD has some answers and if there are any issues, the ASA BOD can act further. Maybe a thank you to or the suspension of Mr Chen. If there are other issues, it certainly doesn't stop the new ASA BOD from taking them to the CSA members and the press.

Coach Rich, while you seem to be "in the know" on almost any/all of the internal workings of the entire country's soccer system you seem to now want to puppet the province of Alberta and the volunteers that post on this blog,

I truly come to sites like this to read the thoughts of many well meaning and some well qualified volunteers from within the province. Some I know, will not be able to let go of years of frustration, that is borne out in their rants. But there are others who have great suggestions as to how we can heal the internal strife within the province and actually move the game ahead (for minors and adults)

I don't know where you get off pushing people to demand BOD resignations, hearings, investigations, it's incredulous. Can this province not be given the chance to heal, maybe mend the odd fence or two without zealots such as yourself whipping the troops into hysteria ........ just asking ??

Of course if you're from Alberta and are actually involved in the sport here I'll offer my apology now, if not, then I stand by my words above (WE NEED TIME TO HEAL !!)

Coach Rich, while you seem to be "in the know" on almost any/all of the internal workings of the entire country's soccer system you seem to now want to puppet the province of Alberta and the volunteers that post on this blog,

I truly come to sites like this to read the thoughts of many well meaning and some well qualified volunteers from within the province. Some I know, will not be able to let go of years of frustration, that is borne out in their rants. But there are others who have great suggestions as to how we can heal the internal strife within the province and actually move the game ahead (for minors and adults)

I don't know where you get off pushing people to demand BOD resignations, hearings, investigations, it's incredulous. Can this province not be given the chance to heal, maybe mend the odd fence or two without zealots such as yourself whipping the troops into hysteria ........ just asking ??

Of course if you're from Alberta and are actually involved in the sport here I'll offer my apology now, if not, then I stand by my words above (WE NEED TIME TO HEAL !!)

I think (WE NEED TIME TO HIDE!!) is what you meant to say...

Like many of you I was outraged when I heard that Alberta’s representatives did not vote in favour of the May 2010 CSA governance proposal given that the representatives had received a very clear mandate from Alberta members in a couple of different ways. It is maddening because had Alberta voted the way it was supposed to I am pretty sure that the May 2010 package would have passed – Alberta was the swing vote. It is also maddening because it was sadly predictable that our representatives would not represent us yet there was little we could do—the recriminations over whether we could have done more abound.

Tempting as it may be to attribute certain questionable personality traits to these representatives, after 24 hours sober second thought and the good counsel of some colleagues, I want to stick to business and I don’t want to jump into the same tactic that has been used in ASA politics – make it personal – anyone remember what happened to Billings?

So let’s stick to business, shall we:

1. Alberta members have learned an important lesson. Until we can govern ourselves in a trustworthy manner, ASA members must continue to be vigilant in demanding honesty, transparency and accountability from its representatives.

2. An election is coming and we need to make sure that those elected understand the duties of a director to be diligent, honest, trusthworthy, prudent, loyal to the organization and obedient to the governing laws, bylaws, and policies. Those who have the Right Stuff need to make it known and apply… those who have no idea what the duty of diligence, obedience and loyalty are vis a vis a director of a non profit organization need not apply.

The bylaws of the Association call for a Nominating Committee to be used – something that should still be carried out by the members if the BOD won’t do it.

3. Mr. Adams is a member of the ASA BOD – check out article 15.1. Although he appeared to start off down the right path on this topic by canvassing the members views, he failed to follow up. He did not report back to the membership what the results of the poll were before the CSA SGM and what Alberta’s position would be. Why not? Chen and Colvin certainly should have done so, don’t get me wrong, but when they failed to respond to the members as a whole, Adams should have. His actions leave me a bit leary and skeptical of his understanding of his role as a Director.

4. The upcoming ASA AGM needs to be attended by its members fully informed and engaged so that good Directors can be elected --everyone needs to determine what Good means but I would strongly suggest it refers to whether a person is capable and willing to fulfill the duties of diligence, obedience and loyalty. Whether they are, or aren’t your buddy is not relevant but it is also relevant whether their actions in life support their words -- are they trustworthy, and do they have integrity? Once elected, the new board will have to determine whether the Association has incurred any unnecessary liabilites or risks because of the actions of directors. The members are demanding accountability from its directors. They will need to do this fairly and truly but, with all due respect to soccer72, I don’t think the new Board can just sit back to “let us heal” if that means the ASA is left vulnerable or exposed to liability. Of course, this would be for the new Board to determine but an issue certainly for the membership to comment upon in the way it votes at the next AGM.

There are people with the Right Stuff out there who will be capable of leading the ASA in an acceptable way to all members. Many will step up and more need to give it some serious thought -- you won't be alone.

Thanks NormaRae. Far more articulate, and incisive than anything I could cobble together in my current state of fugue over the SGM in Ottawa. Excellent analysis, and great post. I hope the District reps looking at the go forward plan read this and keep it in mind as they move ahead over the next few weeks.

Question for you Soccer72 is how do you start a rebuilding process (healing etc) when the people responsible are still thumbing their noses at the membership? The responses to Mr Adams position question were all in favor of option #1 so on what basis is Mr Chen voting against it? Is that what you call healing?

Once again those of the Mario board have ignored the wishes of their constituents that they are supposedly representing. Is that healing? No that is rubbing salt in the wound and laughing about it. Accountability means you will be held accountable for your actions. The pathetic excuses offered by Mr Chen clearly show his complete disregard for healing.

Yes healing will occur but not with people in charge who ignore the wishes of those they claim to represent. They are the ones preventing the healing process and yes they will be held accountable for their actions. That is one of the major points of reforming soccer in Alberta, accountability to the membership.

For healing to occur there must be respect and Mr Chen's votes clearly shows his lack of respect for the membership's wishes. What is incredulous is your idea that healing will occur with those like Mr Chen who have no intention of ever listening to the membership. No we don't need time to heal, that is as lame an excuse to put off further reforms as long as possible. What is needed is accountability and respect for the membership's wishes. That is where the healing starts!

PS. Yes I am from Alberta and involved in soccer.

I am not from Alberta... and frankly you need to understand the pestulence that has been in Alberta for many many years has infected the CSA nationaly.... the weekends actions by your representative Lawyer Chen to scuttle reform at the CSA level have to be challenged.

Folks the delay of reform to 2015 is a delay fall back by the Dear Doctor supported by Lawyer Chen and the other kool aid drinkers and its unfortunate that commentators like you Soccer72do come out and call for Kombaya.... when you should be demanding revolution.

I am not from Alberta... and frankly you need to understand the pestulence that has been in Alberta for many many years has infected the CSA nationaly.... the weekends actions by your representative Lawyer Chen to scuttle reform at the CSA level have to be challenged.

Folks the delay of reform to 2015 is a delay fall back by the Dear Doctor supported by Lawyer Chen and the other kool aid drinkers and its unfortunate that commentators like you Soccer72do come out and call for Kombaya.... when you should be demanding revolution.

We need to cauterize the wound before we can heal. Having the unelected knobs of the elected guys we booted out ignoring the membership on the national stage is not "healing" it is quite the opposite.

The good news is that the process of reform (both in Alberta and Canada) is set. In a few months Calvin and Chen will be gone and the ASA membership will be in a position to chart their own course.

To my way of thinking the delay in instituting reform within CSA is all about protecting current positions. The boys receiving the perks don't care what is done after they move on. They just want to protect their position today. They are likely hoping to be feeding at the FIFA trough in 2015

See February newsletter:

http://www.edsa.org/app/webroot/uploaded_files/Newsletter/FEBRUARY%202011%20-%20EDSA%20Newsletter.pdf

The EDSA has demanded that the two remaining directors of the ASA call an Annual General Meeting immediately so that a proper election of directors can take place and the ASA can, once again, operate with a full board and, for the first time in years, start working to make soccer in Alberta a better experience for all.

Good stuff-props to thome and the EDSA crew. Dont take any crap from Charpentier or his stooges. It was nice to see the CUSA lads step up at the SGM to show the way. I was wondering when they were going to come around-they did so in spectacular fashion-imagine colin as caesar getting the knife from brutus- et tu brute? Actually more like ned beatty in deliverance.

Good stuff-props to thome and the EDSA crew. Dont take any crap from Charpentier or his stooges. It was nice to see the CUSA lads step up at the SGM to show the way. I was wondering when they were going to come around-they did so in spectacular fashion-imagine colin as caesar getting the knife from brutus- et tu brute? Actually more like ned beatty in deliverance.

+1

+1

And the banjo boy would be ...? Actually the banjo boy has skills so therefor really has no resemblance to any of these clowns.

I have a vision of Colvin and Chen as the guards in monty pythons holy grail getting instructions from Traficante..All right-you stay here and vote against reform...

Interesting article with some parallels to the ASA-CSA situation

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/soccer-ukraine-unlikely-face-suspension-fifa-uefa-20110209-085525-592.html

My brain hurts. So... FIFA steps in and prevents the removal of a corrupt Federation President? And, because Ukraine is desperate to host Euro 2012 they back down and let the corruption continue? Wow. It is no wonder that reform here is so difficult to accomplish. MC is simply following the "code" and therefore sees he has done nothing wrong.

Perhaps Mr. Chen voted on behalf of ASA the way he did to try to ensure that Canada would be awarded the women's world cup? I can see it now... promises of Edmonton hosting games at commonwealth with all the appropriate kick-backs pre-arranged, so long as reform doesn't happen until at least 2015. Well played.

My brain hurts. So... FIFA steps in and prevents the removal of a corrupt Federation President? And, because Ukraine is desperate to host Euro 2012 they back down and let the corruption continue? Wow. It is no wonder that reform here is so difficult to accomplish. MC is simply following the "code" and therefore sees he has done nothing wrong.

Perhaps Mr. Chen voted on behalf of ASA the way he did to try to ensure that Canada would be awarded the women's world cup? I can see it now... promises of Edmonton hosting games at commonwealth with all the appropriate kick-backs pre-arranged, so long as reform doesn't happen until at least 2015. Well played.

Soccer admin is like as rotting fish-it rots from the head down.

I would not be too worried about the delay in reform as in the long run reform is going to happen, for instance Mario is gone from the provincial level and will soon be replaced at the local level, Traficante will soon be gone at the National Level and will never again be welcome at the local level.

His self appointed Life Membership in Alberta will soon be revoked, don't let the door hit you on the way out - Bye-Bye

Archived