Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

IMO what the ASA Districts should be doing is requesting meetings with the 3 ASA Directors and helping them establish a new direction for the ASA. The remaining Directors if they wander off on their own it is only going to create more problems for the ASA. If these Directors are sincere in making changes they should work together with everyone as they need the help and they should show that they are willing to make the changes the Districts are going to want to see come the AGM. If they are not willing to work together with anyone have them removed as the ASA and it's community can't afford to wait until the AGM.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These two are amazing. They were appointed (not elected) to a Board that already had 7 active members and were the ultimate in lame ducks. They were only going to be there for a couple of months originally yet somehow it was incredibly important for Mario/Colin to appoint them prior to an AGM. Now they have the unmitigated gall to suggest that the two of them don't need anyone else on the Board for a couple of more months. Somebody give me a valium!

I heard the courts have granted a stay on CSAs expulsion hearings against individuals and districts so CSA wont be able to skew the AGM vote. Another Court victory over the anti reformers. Anyone have a copy of the ruling?

Board Expenses account for 15% of their overall expense budget? That seems a little extreme for volunteer boards.

Disregard that. I read the colour coding wrong. Referees are 15% of the budget. That makes more sense.

I heard the courts have granted a stay on CSAs expulsion hearings against individuals and districts so CSA wont be able to skew the AGM vote. Another Court victory over the anti reformers. Anyone have a copy of the ruling?

The judge's reasons haven't been released yet to the lawyers, just the granting of the stay and removal of the stay on the judicial review.

Will done on the reformers part to stay a step ahead of the CSA. Looking forward to reading the ruling.

I just read the alberta court of appeal judgement-crushing indictment of CSAs stance that people cant go the court to resolve issues. The judges took absolute issue with the CSAs stance that people cant go to court and that they can punish them for it. The judges cited the criminal code that makes threats of this nature a criminal offence and the charter of rights which provides all canadians with access the courts. The whole issue here is that CSA has no coherent dispute resolution mechanism yet they wish to punish canadians for taking their inherent right to recourse to oppression. Costs were awarded agaisnt CSA on the Appeal and the original Queens Bench hearing. If i was on CSA i would quietly forget about this matter as an unfavourable precendent is coming down the pipe and more wasted legal fees and costs are not in the best interests of anyone.

2011abca0074.pdf

I just read the alberta court of appeal judgement-crushing indictment of CSAs stance that people cant go the court to resolve issues. The judges took absolute issue with the CSAs stance that people cant go to court and that they can punish them for it. The judges cited the criminal code that makes threats of this nature a criminal offence and the charter of rights which provides all canadians with access the courts. The whole issue here is that CSA has no coherent dispute resolution mechanism yet they wish to punish canadians for taking their inherent right to recourse to oppression. Costs were awarded agaisnt CSA on the Appeal and the original Queens Bench hearing. If i was on CSA i would quietly forget about this matter as an unfavourable precendent is coming down the pipe and more wasted legal fees and costs are not in the best interests of anyone.

Now the Minister of Sport for Canada should pay attention, as well as all provincial Ministers of Sport. Nice to see what many right minded people considered objectionable, oppressive and outrageous confirmed for what it is... we do live in a democratic society after all.

In my no longer terribly humble opinion (due to fatigue from a long protracted fight made worse, and arguably only possible, by the CSA) the CSA needs to:

1) rescind its discpline against Shauna Aab, Mike Troke, Danny Bowie, Les Hodges and Chris Billings, and issue apologies and perhaps even compensation for damages

2) withdraw its discipline action against John Voorhorst, Mike Thome and Karl Jevne, and issue apologies and perhaps even compensation for damages

3) pay the legal bills of these individuals incurred to defend themselves

4) pay the legal bills of the reformers who, were it not for the CSA, would have had the ASA dispute resolved in April 2010 and would not have had the April SGM opposed or challenged by their squad

5) resignations are required from those within the CSA responsible for giving these directions.

I have attached a copy of the decision

We need to remember the names of the people who caused this whole debacle. D. Maestracci, V. Montagliani, S. Reed, M. Traficante, M. Charpentier, C.Innes. There will undoubtably be some attempts at ass-covering and bs claims of not being involved or understanding what was going on, etc., etc. The simple fact remains that none of this would have happened if any of those men had any respect for the laws of this country and of due process. Does anyone think that any of those individuals I have named should ever have any part of governing any aspect of Canadian Soccer ever again? They should never be forgiven.

Ben has an article here - http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1272-Alberta-judges-slam-CSA

I have one here that explains what is going on is way bigger than the CSA and it gives us a chance to bring national change to many levels in Canadian amateur sports. Soccer's issue is only a part of the bigger puzzle but it's all interdependent - http://www.soccersuffragist.com/site-articles/site-articles/alberta-court-of-appeals-slams-the-csa

Please contact me if you are interested in tackling the big picture by being part of a war room and battle group - coachrich@telus.net

The key fronts are -

Gary Lunn MP, Sports Canada

Joyce Murray MP, Oppisiton Critic of Sports Canada

SDRCC - www.sdrcc.ca

Canadian Association for the Achievement of Women www.caaws.ca

AthletesCAN - association of Canada’s national team athletes - www.athletescan.com

Media Coverage

I hope that the individuals who were suspended by the CSA for bringing court action against the ASA will consider asking that criminal charges for obstruction of justice be laid against the President of the CSA and any Board members who backed his actions.

From the RCMP http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/qc/services/crime-eng.htm#UMPC

Organized Crime

Organized crime is one of five strategic priorities established by the RCMP. It is defined by Canada's Criminal Code as crime committed by any group of at least three people that has as one of its main purposes or activities the facilitation or commission of one or more serious offences where the primary motive is profit. The organized crime network is an international problem that ignores national boundaries. This is why we are focusing on a philosophy that advocates partnerships with the public and other Canadian and foreign law enforcement organizations to carry out our investigations. We are keeping an eye on organized crime for you...

It might be a good idea for the judgement of the Alberta courts be sent to the RCMP along with links to the Reform Alberta site... in effect laying an information that would result in the Crime unit begining and investigation.

One would hope the Metcalfe street staff understand .... shredders being brought in might lead to criminal charges.... remember Conrad Black is in jail today for ....shredding.

I hope that the individuals who were suspended by the CSA for bringing court action against the ASA will consider asking that criminal charges for obstruction of justice be laid against the President of the CSA and any Board members who backed his actions.

Provincial presidents have to be worried they may be caught up in this debacle, clearly the executive needs to resign and face the criminal nature of what they did, FIFA needs to step in and suspend the Executive ,.... since they have brought the game into disrepute.

Provincial presidents have to be worried they may be caught up in this debacle, clearly the executive needs to resign and face the criminal nature of what they did, FIFA needs to step in and suspend the Executive ,.... since they have brought the game into disrepute.

Agree with you except for the fifa part-they actually have written a letter encouraging CSA to suspend people for going to court. I am sure CSA asked for this letter to justify their actions..just as ASA asked for a letter to justify their own actions. International links are thereby established. In all seriousness guys-what kind of people are afraid of the judgement of an independant judiciary? In fact it is FIFA that insists that parties enact bylaws to punish people who go to court.

We need to remember the names of the people who caused this whole debacle. D. Maestracci, V. Montagliani, S. Reed, M. Traficante, M. Charpentier, C.Innes. There will undoubtably be some attempts at ass-covering and bs claims of not being involved or understanding what was going on, etc., etc. The simple fact remains that none of this would have happened if any of those men had any respect for the laws of this country and of due process. Does anyone think that any of those individuals I have named should ever have any part of governing any aspect of Canadian Soccer ever again? They should never be forgiven.

Queue local board resignations from some of the key players.

Wow did you pick the wrong horse Garry Steen...How about you giving yourself a lifetime achievement award at the Calgary Soccer Federation banquet followed by the door forever closing behind you on the way out!

http://calgaryminorsoccer.com/banners/941.jpg

Well done to all of you directly involved in this mess, everyone that plays, coaches, refs, administers soccer in Alberta and Canada owes you a great deal gratitude.

Queue local board resignations from some of the key players.

Wow did you pick the wrong horse Garry Steen...How about you giving yourself a lifetime achievement award at the Calgary Soccer Federation banquet followed by the door forever closing behind you on the way out!

http://calgaryminorsoccer.com/banners/941.jpg

Well done to all of you directly involved in this mess, everyone that plays, coaches, refs, administers soccer in Alberta and Canada owes you a great deal gratitude.

Well-you could petition your local board to send some money to CASA-EDSA or sunny south who have borne the brunt of the legal fees for the whole province. they got the justice to stop asa from suspending a bunch of districts prior to the sgm-they got this court of appeal ruling which basically says CSA are criminals and upholds the rule of law in canada over oppressive law, they stopped CSA from suspending whole districts prior to the agm-they made ASA hold an SGM and set a time limit on the AGM and they got provincials to go ahead despite mario-colin and kerns efforts to derail them. All of that was opposed tooth and nail by the former ASA with our money. These things cost money.

18] One must also note s. 139(3) of the Criminal Code on obstruction of justice by attempting

to dissuade someone from giving evidence, by means of threats.

[19] We must emphasize that the issue here is not merely litigating in some forum topics such as who has jurisdiction, or when proceedings are premature. This is a question of express threats to harm someone for going to court or acting as a witness in court. Or of punishing him for having done so and (partly) won.

That is the legal terminology for what we would call a good old ass kicking with a few shots "night in the ruts" :)

Okay lets see the CSA board save themselves by offering a sacrifice or four. I can see the people of Alberta forgiving the rest of the CSA board if they fire the people involved. We all know most of the CSA are not to blame. They went along because they were LIED TO by their rogue executive and now to save themselves being named in a lawsuit and possibly criminal charges, punt the losers who are responsible.

Agree with you except for the fifa part-they actually have written a letter encouraging CSA to suspend people for going to court. I am sure CSA asked for this letter to justify their actions..just as ASA asked for a letter to justify their own actions. International links are thereby established. In all seriousness guys-what kind of people are afraid of the judgement of an independant judiciary? In fact it is FIFA that insists that parties enact bylaws to punish people who go to court.

My point on FIFA is the actions by the CSA clearly are un ethical and just as they have suspended executive members of FIFA for taking bribes and enriching themselves in the name of soccer, the CSA executives have to come under FIFA scrutiny for there actions which are solely responsible for the movement to the courts by Alberta soccer members. Its the immoral use of power by the Dear Doctor and Traficante that has brought the courts to act.... and if FIFA is to be consistent they need to .... clean out the mugs and allow more reasonable minds to run the CSA.

My point on FIFA is the actions by the CSA clearly are un ethical and just as they have suspended executive members of FIFA for taking bribes and enriching themselves in the name of soccer, the CSA executives have to come under FIFA scrutiny for there actions which are solely responsible for the movement to the courts by Alberta soccer members. Its the immoral use of power by the Dear Doctor and Traficante that has brought the courts to act.... and if FIFA is to be consistent they need to .... clean out the mugs and allow more reasonable minds to run the CSA.

I agree with what you say Trillium-FIFA should step in to impose fairness and accountability- but in my opinion the CSA executive members-some are active and some are enablers and some may actively oppose them-take their cue from FIFA. They emulate these guys and would like nothing better then to get the bigger envelopes and the junkets and the sideline companies that you see the family members of the Blatters and Warners engaged in. We see this on a smaller scale in Alberta with the Skillstorms and Marios contracting company and son working for Emsa and I am certain that the same will be seen at CSA. The reality is FIFA will condone and encourage these actions. They like to do everything "in house" and the only real punishement would be for not giving them their cut. Does this sound cynical? Any time there is judicial scrutiny of these guys the words fraud and perjury are mentioned by the Judges. This is why they are so quick to shut down and stomp on people going to court.

Archived