MF Shaun Saiko [Edmonton]

MF Thiago Silva [brasilia, Brazil]

ST Kenny Sacramento [Winnipeg]

ST Kyle Yamada [Calgary]

ST Marcus Johnstone [Edmonton]

ST Michael Cox [Calgary]

ST Milan Timotijevic [Calgary]

Friendly Schedule:

(all games at Foote Field, Edmonton, Alberta)

June 16: Montreal Impact, USSF D2

July 6: Ottawa Fury, USL PDL

August 11: Victoria Highlanders, USL PDL

August 15: Spokane Spiders, USL PDL

August 28: Miami FC, USSF D2

Source: NASL.com

Roster (foreigners in italics):

GK Jas Gill [Edmonton]

GK Rein Baart [Angerlo, Netherlands]

GK Tristan Ilko [Edmonton]

DF André Duberry [Calgary]

DF Antonio Rago [Edmonton]

DF Daylan Meyer [Calgary]

DF Neto Migeul [sao Paolo, Brazil]

DF Niko Saler [Lethbridge]

DF Paul Hamilton [Calgary]

DF Sander van Gessel [breda, Netherlands]

MF Chris Kooy [Calgary]

MF Chris Lemire [Edmonton]

MF Paul Matthijs [Eelde, Netherlands]

MF Sam Lam [Edmonton]

MF Shaun Saiko [Edmonton]

MF Thiago Silva [brasilia, Brazil]

ST Kenny Sacramento [Winnipeg]

ST Kyle Yamada [Calgary]

ST Marcus Johnstone [Edmonton]

ST Michael Cox [Calgary]

ST Milan Timotijevic [Calgary]

Friendly Schedule:

(all games at Foote Field, Edmonton, Alberta)

June 16: Montreal Impact, USSF D2

July 6: Ottawa Fury, USL PDL

August 11: Victoria Highlanders, USL PDL

August 15: Spokane Spiders, USL PDL

August 28: Miami FC, USSF D2

Source: NASL.com

You should probably change the league next to the Impact game to "CSL" as it was mentionned that it will be mostly academy players who will head up to Edmonton for that game..

You should probably change the league next to the Impact game to "CSL" as it was mentionned that it will be mostly academy players who will head up to Edmonton for that game..

They'll still have a n Impact 'fleu' on the shirts so it'll do for starters. As will the Star and cresent on the pompey shirts (heaven knows how they'll aford the air fair? Will I have to put David James up in my basement?)

3 former Whitecaps PDL players in Rago, Hamilton and Johnstone. I don't think there is the quality there to compete in Div 2 of North American soccer, but for this 'test' season, it will nice to see if any of these guys can make the cut.

They're well aware most of these guys won't make it next year. My take was that they should've been more public about that from the start, but communication isn't exactly their strong point right now.

The bigger issue is whether they've yet deluded themselves into thinking they can build next year's team with Whitecaps castoffs , as Vancouver has already shed many of the players it didn't feel could make the jump to MLS. I highly doubt they'll land more than a handful from there.

There are soooo many decent players in NA/Concacaf making less money than they could here, though, that if they're smart about it, they can be competitive in year one.

I'm glad to see they have some games to announce. Not exactly an awe inspiring lineup, but decent enough for an exhibition season. I'd suggest that these games will do a good job helping the coaches find out who can't play at this level. Guys who can't keep up with PDL players and NASL backups unquestionably won't be good enough next year.

As for the roster, it's somewhat what I expected. Some of these players are likely out of their depth, but they will have their chance. Who knows, they might find a couple of surprises. As for some of the known players, Saiko is probably the most intriguing. The Dutch players are aging vets with their best years behind them. I guess they are being brought in to provide some stability but I wonder if they will be too old in another year to compete at the NASL level. Nice to see Kooy and Lemire in the mix. They aren't giving up on the dream quite yet. There are a bunch of names not on the list I am curious about. I suspect they weren't willing to commit to a summer of low pay and limited action, especially if it necessitated a move to Edmonton. However, some former Storm/Mustang players from Calgary like Nik Reyes, Nick Zuniga, and Liam DeSilva could probably help this club. What about Ryan Gyaki? Also, Waldo Dutra is still in Edmonton and so are a bunch of guys listed in Canada's U23 player pool.

Jason

When you take into account former national pool players as well as players who've been in overseas pro youth systems, there are a TON of players at higher calibre than most of the roster, in Canada and available. Most of them are either playing in the CSL as semi-pro (which means they'd have to give up the day job) but for a full season -- i.e. next year -- and a second chance I can see quite a few coming here.

Beyond that, most CONCACAF leagues pay very poorly. They can make the roster as strong or weak as they can afford (and as a five foreign nationals limit will allow).

But I do wonder why some of those names you've mentioned chose not to get involved.

However, some former Storm/Mustang players from Calgary like Nik Reyes, Nick Zuniga, and Liam DeSilva could probably help this club. What about Ryan Gyaki? Also, Waldo Dutra is still in Edmonton and so are a bunch of guys listed in Canada's U23 player pool.

Jason

Nik Reyes would likely have come to play with FC Edmonton, and would help IMO, but perhaps some fences need to be mended to make that happen? Zuniga is still a nice player, but perhaps isn't quite what he was during the Calgary PDL / USL days. DaSilva? Not sure...

Waldo Dutra was invited and would be on the team but for two reasons: he is doing well in his career AND suffered a knee injury during the latter part of the indoor season.

I know that Nik Z is into other things now and am not sure how much time he has for soccer; am not sure about Nik R and Liam.

For the guy's who are still in university or college will playing for FC Edmonton affect their eligibility?

Yep. Can't play CIS and pro at the same time. Andrea Lombardo played for York and TFC in the same season and they deducted all four of those wings from York's final points for the year for fielding an ineligible player.

Not exactly - You can if you remain on an amateur contract - I think the issue with Lomardo was that he signed a pro deal.

When the Toronto Lynx were in the USL 1st Division, Niki Budalic played for both them and Laurier University...

There are also a good number of CIS players on amateur contracts in the CSL.

Archived