AC St-Louis to fold?

More of the same: http://www.globe-democrat.com/news/2010/may/20/st-louis-pro-soccer-teams-facing-serious-financial/

They probably have until next week to sort things out as their English backers are have financial difficulties. Rumour has it that Baltimore is heading down the same path. Can Minnesota be that far behind?

Yikes, will there even be a D2 in a few years?

Wow, didn't see that coming at all, I'm so surprised... :rolleyes:

Seriously, this is becoming pathetic. I agree to say we can't even be sure there's still gonna be a serious D2 league in NA in a few years. That is pretty sad. Having difficulties (i.e. never ever be able) to build a serious all-canadian league is one thing, having trouble sustaining a decent D2 league in ALL NA is another. Yes there are fan bases, St. Louis seems to do OK for that matter, but it takes way more than that and that "way more" thing is, you got it, $$$. Why is that everytime there's a new owner in the league, he gets to have some financial problems a few months later ? No deeper pocketed owners, no serious D2. And as the best markets are all MLS-bound now (Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, Montreal), second division soccer looks to be doomed short-term speaking. Let's hope Edmonton doesn't pull a... a... an Edmonton.

Wow, didn't see that coming at all, I'm so surprised... :rolleyes:

Seriously, this is becoming pathetic. I agree to say we can't even be sure there's still gonna be a serious D2 league in NA in a few years. That is pretty sad. Having difficulties (i.e. never ever be able) to build a serious all-canadian league is one thing, having trouble sustaining a decent D2 league in ALL NA is another. Yes there are fan bases, St. Louis seems to do OK for that matter, but it takes way more than that and that "way more" thing is, you got it, $$$. Why is that everytime there's a new owner in the league, he gets to have some financial problems a few months later ? No deeper pocketed owners, no serious D2. And as the best markets are all MLS-bound now (Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, Montreal), second division soccer looks to be doomed short-term speaking. Let's hope Edmonton doesn't pull a... a... an Edmonton.

I play and watch but have very little knowledge of the business side of it... but perhaps the answer would be to cap the MLS at 20 teams, allow it to grow in stature and exposure, until you d have deep-pocketed owners clamouring to get franchises, then at that point start giving out 2nd division franchises with the promise of promotion/relegation? Instead of trying to build a 2nd division when there is no hope of promotion plus the MLS itself is still low profile in the NA sports market.

I play and watch but have very little knowledge of the business side of it... but perhaps the answer would be to cap the MLS at 20 teams, allow it to grow in stature and exposure, until you d have deep-pocketed owners clamouring to get franchises, then at that point start giving out 2nd division franchises with the promise of promotion/relegation? Instead of trying to build a 2nd division when there is no hope of promotion plus the MLS itself is still low profile in the NA sports market.

Either that or D2 is a completely reserve-based league like the AHL is to the NHL. Of course I have always argued that pro-rel would be most exciting route (and potentially the most popular) if it was handled properly in North America. Plus it would be pretty low risk pro-rel, like early J1-J2 pro-rel where there is only ever the possibility a one-level drop, as there wouldn't be a D3 to fall into.

Either that or D2 is a completely reserve-based league like the AHL is to the NHL. Of course I have always argued that pro-rel would be most exciting route (and potentially the most popular) if it was handled properly in North America. Plus it would be pretty low risk pro-rel, like early J1-J2 pro-rel where there is only ever the possibility a one-level drop, as there wouldn't be a D3 to fall into.

Judging by the way 'Waldorf and Stadler' took over Liverpool and then started pontificating on a '39 EPL game (which thankfully didn't see the light of day) would the concept of Pro-Rel not be anathama on this side of the Atlantic? the only League system I have seen benifit from slitting in recent years was the County cricket system in England (yes I did say cricket).

Much as i'm begining to enjoy and understand the MLS (standard is evidently improving- no longer full of forwards who couldn't finish a plate of putine, let alone a one on one with the keeper) changing from the current NHL/NFL system of conferences into divisions may be more than the money men (not the Fans) will comprehend? I would hope to be proved wrong on this however. My comment on this is informed by Fox's inability to (Report on the FSR) that Blackpool and Cardif have indeed been top flight before (albeit not for Fourty some years) If they, who supposedly know so much, cant get it right how the heck will the money men feel comfortable if they think their product is considered of lesser value, in a geuine Division 2, rather than Div1 MLS?

Well, it appears the USSF did NASL2.0 and USL a big favour by forcing them together for 2010. Neither one of them has enough solid franchises to exist on their own. At this point the MLS-bound teams must be just hoping to keep things going long enough so they can play out their respective final seasons. This can't be good news for Edmonton FC who themselves will have much to prove both on and off the field.

Could be bad news for Canadian player development.

To some extent I feel Sorry for FC Tamp Bay. Full house for their First Game, a 'quirky' history to build upon, and then, if the worst happens to Div2... apparently nowhere to take it.

Perhaps the FC Edmonton apparent 'quiet' build up on the Website front is in someway related to this faultering situation in Division2. Why focus a high level of funding on the website if you end up having to play two or more seasons as an exhibition side, better to use your money in keeping and developing your squad. although who and where you play is beyond me. Personally I'm disappointed the USSF games do not have a 'national' TV outlet, if only for a 30min round up on Fox or Rogers.

Im not forgeting locals broadcasters such as SRC Canada do a fine Job for the Impact, but I havent seen a Whitecaps game on CBC Vancouver, which must be really annoying to Caps fans when TFC Saturdays come around eh?

Judy, your correct, I still forgat the Dual official language thing in canada and mistake it for been similar to S4C, the Welsh Channel in the UK. S4C only reaches a few miles across of Offas' Dyke (English Welsh boarder) so if your names Owen Jones (welsh speaker), living in Norfolk you are kinda Screwed!

My appologies to the Francophone V's and SRC:o

I have the impression that the only way a profitable D2 could exist in NA is if MLS buys the whole league and standardizes the business models in a way that would work like the 90's MLS. Not pro-rel yet.

Re-brand it MLS2 and promote it like its the next best thing.

I guess this could happen soon if these teams continue to fold. There are still lots of good potential markets unexploited in USA/Can

EEk Sorry I meant Juby!

Jeremy. Totally agree with the MLS 2 branding. It would give an impression of Teams /Clubs preparing for inclusion into the Top Show. Im sure the Impact would prefer to spend next year in waiting in a pre MLS enviroment. I know teams have had to take an Hiatus from MLS before. would stepping down to an MLS-2 with less finacial commitment be a better than 'dropping out'

Next year there will be 18 MLS clubs, there will be 12 clubs in the USSF D-2 (if they all survive), that probably a near perfect two division League.

If we see Tampa selling out again at the next match then the unexploted markets points begins to ring true.

Archived