2011 U20 Player Pool

jpg75

Ok, we did this last year and i think it worked well. I will start the list and if anyone has any additions please add them. The first post will be constantly edited so that the list is in one place and always at the top of the thread.

Name Club Y.O.B

Goalies

Adam Street - Unattached - 1991

Julien Latendresse Levesque – Energie Cottbus/Vancouver - 1991

Roberto Stillo – Genoa CFC – 1991

Keenan Gracey – Wigan AFC - 1991

Richard Causton – Vancouver - 1992

Garrett Cypress – Prep./Harvard - 1992

Daniel Mendes – Milltown FC – 1992

Marcel DeBellis - Unattached - 1991

Jordan Santiago - Cardiff City - 1991

Defenders

Derrick Bassi - Simon Fraser University - 1992

Francesco Augustin – Montreal – 1992

James Chalk – Paris St. Germain – 1992

Serge Dinotka – Montreal -1991

Doneil Henry – Toronto FC - 1993

Gino Mauro – Albese – 1991

Amine Meftouh – Montreal -1992

Ashtone Morgan – Toronto FC – 1991

Ricardo Ferreira - FC Porto - 1992**

Marco South - AC Este - 1992

Daniel Di Biagio - Winthrop U. - 1991

Dominic Roberts - Southern New Hampshire U. - 1991

Roger Thompson - U. of Cincinnati - 1991

Francesco Capone - Missouri State - 1991

Midfielders

Ethan Gage - Vancouver - 1991

Andrew Kliment - Bohemians Praha - 1991

Liam Connon - Ross County - 1991

James Stamopolous - U of Hartford - 1991

Matt Stinson - Winthrop U. - 1992

Darren Jones - Western Michigan - 1991

Janeil Hoilett - Mainz 05 - 1992

Russell Teibert - Vancouver - 1992

Kevin Cobby - Vancouver - 1992

Brennan McNicoll - Rutgers - 1992

Zach Shaffelburg - Unattached - 1992

Graham Fisher - Schalke 04 - 1992

Mahir Hadziresic - Mlada Boleslav - 1991*

Fabian Troche - Nafpaktiakos Asteras - 1991

Chris Suta - Milltown FC - 1991

Nicholas Lindsay - Toronto FC - 1992

Jonathan Osorio - Clarkson Sheridan - 1992

Marco Rodrigues - Atletico Platense - 1992

Forwards

Jerome Baker – Energie Cottbus/Vancouver - 1991

Joseph Costouros - Leixoes SC - 1991

Liam Kelly - CrossFire Academy - 1991

Justin Maheu - Fortuna Dusseldorf - 1992

Jelani Smith - Florida Gulf Coast U - 1991

Abde Sylla - FC Metz - 1992

Damien Merette - Unattached - 1991

Coulton Jackson - Vancouver - 1992

Allando Matheson - Prep./UCONN - 1992

Caolan Lavery - Ipswich Town - 1992

Niall Cousens - Slavia Praha - 1991

Josh Gross - Górnik Zabrze - 1991

Massimo Mirabelli - Portugal FC - 199?

* Mahir has represented Bosnia at the U18 level, but appeared for Canada at the Spain-based U20 camp in August.

** Ricardo has represented Portugal at the U17 level, but is still eligible to play for Canada.

I'm in the middle of building the list right now...

If someone wants to save me the time, there are 5 players from Erin Mills that joined the Nacional academy in Montevideo. In the article on the EMSC website it should list all of their positions.

I figured as much...actually can you check out the age of our youth players in Croatia?

Admir Salihovic - Sibenik (Croatian T-Com Prva 1.HNL) (1) Youth

Fabian Knezevic Jr. - Kamen Ingrad (Croatian T-Com Prva 1.HNL) (1) Youth

also

Josh Gross - Górnik Zabrze (Polish I Ligi) (2) Youth

these are the kids in Uruguay

Lucas Cavallini - Club Nacional (Uruguayo Primera Division) (1) Youth

Jonathan Osorio - Club Nacional (Uruguayo Primera Division) (1) Youth

Joshua Portillo - Club Nacional (Uruguayo Primera Division) (1) Youth

Anthony Papaterpos - Club Nacional (Uruguayo Primera Division) (1) Youth

Tristan Grant - Club Nacional (Uruguayo Primera Division) (1) Youth

I figured as much...actually can you check out the age of our youth players in Croatia?

Admir Salihovic - Sibenik (Croatian T-Com Prva 1.HNL) (1) Youth

Fabian Knezevic Jr. - Kamen Ingrad (Croatian T-Com Prva 1.HNL) (1) Youth

also

Josh Gross - Górnik Zabrze (Polish I Ligi) (2) Youth

these are the kids in Uruguay

Lucas Cavallini - Club Nacional (Uruguayo Primera Division) (1) Youth

Jonathan Osorio - Club Nacional (Uruguayo Primera Division) (1) Youth

Joshua Portillo - Club Nacional (Uruguayo Primera Division) (1) Youth

Anthony Papaterpos - Club Nacional (Uruguayo Primera Division) (1) Youth

Tristan Grant - Club Nacional (Uruguayo Primera Division) (1) Youth

How did these five find their way to Uruguay?

On that note, the GTA is an unprocessed gold mine of potential talent. If I was running TFC, I would be absolutely salivating over the prospects of what they could do with youth development. If they don't produce at least 8 starters for the senior team by 2014, I will be severely irked.

I thought these kids all played for Erin Mills, but now i'm wondering if they didn't play for another club (Oakville or Sheridan something or other)...they invited Club Nacional up for a tournament and beat them. I guess the coaches liked some of these players and when they found out they were available for FREE invited them all down for the year. They should all be '92's.

How did these five find their way to Uruguay?

On that note, the GTA is an unprocessed gold mine of potential talent. If I was running TFC, I would be absolutely salivating over the prospects of what they could do with youth development. If they don't produce at least 8 starters for the senior team by 2014, I will be severely irked.

Yeah if you can actually keep these kids at home it's quite the opportunity.

Still waiting for the results on the academy, hopefully TFC is taking this seriously. As you said, there is a lot of talent out there that can be brought into the system.

Interesting article. I have a question for you jpg, do you think the TFC academy are finding the best talent in the GTA or do they need to improve on their scouting?

Well, let me preface this by stating that i'm not a scout nor do i have extensive knowledge of elite youth players. That said, i think TFC is doing a decent job, but they could probably be doing better. One criticism i've heard is that they're using alot of the OSA NTC/Provincial team players, essentially letting the OSA do all the scouting which is a dangerous thing for Canadian soccer because kids are getting overlooked even in the GTA. We need another set of eyes, not one set borrowing what the other sees. They also need to do a better job of brining in out-of-province/out of area kids which is something the Whitecaps are kicking their ass at. Verdugo and Maheu are the only "out of area" kids on the U18 squad that i can think of in the first two years and that's being generous (Verdugo immigrated to the GTA and Maheu i believe was at the NTC). TFC needs to take a better look in the GTA and also put some scouts in Ottawa and London (and the rest of SWO while they're at it), no doubt they're missing out on some kids.

On the flip side, there's some solid talent in the Academy at the moment and is only going to get better. The original class of '92 born players they brought in is probably their best batch so far and is a close rival to the Whitecaps intial group of 90's (and Gage) as the best Canadian youth academy squad yet.

I guess TFC were already on the ball as they've announced 2 of the Club Academy Programs (CAP's) will be from the Ottawa area:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/tfc-announces-major-soccer-initiatives

The following programs are the first to join the CAP: Barrie SC, Bryst International, Capital United SC (Ottawa), Cavan FC, Pickering SC, Nepean Hotspurs SC, Thunder Bay Chill, and Unionville-Milliken SC. Several other clubs have expressed interest and will likely be added to the CAP in Phase 2 (late summer/early fall 2010).

Barrie, ON is now a small city of 100,000 so not a bad idea to reach out there...but definitely still need some eyes in SWO.

Another youngster - hasn't been heard of in years - is Kyle Silva. He's a '92 or '93, spent a couple of years at Sporting Lisbon and then disappeared from their academy sometime in 2008. I asked the U17 manager last year if Fleming knew of his whereabouts and he didn't even know who he was. Anyone have a clue what happened to the kid?

Another youngster - hasn't been heard of in years - is Kyle Silva. He's a '92 or '93, spent a couple of years at Sporting Lisbon and then disappeared from their academy sometime in 2008. I asked the U17 manager last year if Fleming knew of his whereabouts and he didn't even know who he was. Anyone have a clue what happened to the kid?

This may be him:

http://www.ssmsports.org/soccer/teams/residential/u17/boys-u17-roster

I guess TFC were already on the ball as they've announced 2 of the Club Academy Programs (CAP's) will be from the Ottawa area:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/tfc-announces-major-soccer-initiatives

The following programs are the first to join the CAP: Barrie SC, Bryst International, Capital United SC (Ottawa), Cavan FC, Pickering SC, Nepean Hotspurs SC, Thunder Bay Chill, and Unionville-Milliken SC. Several other clubs have expressed interest and will likely be added to the CAP in Phase 2 (late summer/early fall 2010).

Barrie, ON is now a small city of 100,000 so not a bad idea to reach out there...but definitely still need some eyes in SWO.

Hopefully, the number increases. For a lot of clubs, they could use the whole TFC partnership as a draw to lure talent.

• 2 months later...
You are wasting your time talking to Fleming...How can he deny knowing this kid is beyond me.

LOL!! I assume you're refering to Kyle Silva? He also didn't know about Jorge Maradona, but then again i'm not sure Jorgito is eligible for us (Cdn passport?)...

• 7 months later...

Archived