Toronto FC acquire Ty Harden from Colorado.

Loud Mouth Soup

...which is the equivalent of a used puck bag given how few third or fourth round super draft picks are ever likely to be added to the TFC roster. What has always been lacking is depth that can step in and do an adequate job when the regular starters are injured, suspended or away on international duty etc. Hopefully Preki has a better eye for a bargain in that regard than Mo Johnston. Good to see that he can play left back as well as centre half:-

http://web.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t101&player=harden_t&playerId=har134817&statType=current

2007: Made his MLS debut, starting and playing all 90 minutes in central defense in the 0-0 draw at HOU on 4/8...Made his first start of the year at left back and then later played left back in the 0-0 draw vs. DC on 6/2…Injured his hip in training before the Chivas USA game on 8/23...Returned to the lineup on 9/8 vs. COL, playing 80 minutes in the 3-1 win on that night...Has played more minutes than any non-first round draft pick in Galaxy history.

Fellinga had to be replaced as inexpensive cover/competition for Jim Brennan. Harden made the league minimum salary last season.

well, its impossible to criticize the price they paid to get him and what he will likely cost them in 2010. Not exciting, but he's cheap. I wonder why the Rapids would be willing to give up on a guy that comes with such a small price tag? I recognize the player's name but I have no memory of how good of a player he is.

...which is the equivalent of a used puck bag given how few third or fourth round super draft picks are ever likely to be added to the TFC roster. What has always been lacking is depth that can step in and do an adequate job when the regular starters are injured, suspended or away on international duty etc. Hopefully Preki has a better eye for a bargain in that regard than Mo Johnston. Good to see that he can play left back as well as centre half:-

http://web.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t101&player=harden_t&playerId=har134817&statType=current

2007: Made his MLS debut, starting and playing all 90 minutes in central defense in the 0-0 draw at HOU on 4/8...Made his first start of the year at left back and then later played left back in the 0-0 draw vs. DC on 6/2…Injured his hip in training before the Chivas USA game on 8/23...Returned to the lineup on 9/8 vs. COL, playing 80 minutes in the 3-1 win on that night...Has played more minutes than any non-first round draft pick in Galaxy history.

Fellinga had to be replaced as inexpensive cover/competition for Jim Brennan. Harden made the league minimum salary last season.

Good depth pick up; seems he could actually maybe push for some playing time which I didn't think Fellinga was able to do was actually try and push Brennan out of some starts.

JDV seems to imply he thinks Harden is taking a CB position as well:

"Ty Harden made $34,000 in 2009 - Adrian Serioux made $130,000. Can Harden be as good or better? If so, good deal for TFC."

http://twitter.com/jasondevos

If he is being brought in as a depth player or someone with future potential it might be a good move. However, unless Colorado's coaching staff is completely incompetent and he is an overlooked talent, if I were a TFC fan I would be pretty worried if a guy Colorado let go for a 3rd round pick is being considered a replacement for Serioux as a starting CB.

Maybe this puts Brennan in midfield and Harden on left back? I think Brennan would be more effective as a left winger at this stage in his career.

It is probably going to be Jim Brennan's last season because he has clearly lost a step and struggled a bit in some games last season. I suspect he may wind up having a Danny Dichio style midseason retirement (ISTR he took the same coaching courses as Dichio) if another player needs to be added at some point and he is struggling for playing time. Given he is in the twilight of his career he will probably be used at left back where he can use his experience to go on the overlap and attack space when the flow of the game enables rather than routinely trying to take players on for pace. When Marvel Wynne is playing most of the overlaps tend to be down the right and Brennan tends to stay back a lot. With fringe MLS players like Harden being versatile is a key asset. He clearly is primarily a centre back but being able to provide cover at left back as well could be an important asset given the senior roster is limited to 18 to 20 players and options are likely to be limited where naturally left sided players are concerned.

Archived