Escape from Concacaf

Gian-Luca

Maybe it's the beer talking (it's late afternoon and REALLY hot here in Madrid), but I think that we sound like a bunch of pussies even talking about this. We really coudn't ask for an easier confederation aside from Oceana, and aiside from the obvious fact that we'll never be in another confederation... there's only one reason we even want to leave.

We suck.

We suck really bad, and every single one of us is sick of it. We're sick of losing. We get a lot of bad calls, CONCACAF is currupt and BS (so is every other confederation), soccer is still in it's infancy here in Canada, we have less money than half of the teams in Africa.... but at the end of the day, we have only ourselves to blame.

We suck.

Still... I'd rather suck than call it quits and hop ship to another confederation. Self-respect still counts for something.

On the bright side Soccer is on the rise here in beaverland, and things really can't get any worse.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

This is a completely nonsensical discussion! Yes, we'd all love to be part of Euro 20XX but it ain't gonna happen.

An America's region could be possible, but even then.....who are we gonna finish ahead of in S.A. as mentioned above? Venezuela? Chile? Peru? Frankly, we haven't got a prayer finishing about Urugual, Paraguay....hell, even Ven, Chile and Peru would cause us massive problems....especially considering we can't beat a Honduras "b" team despite dominating them.

Sorry for being so cynical. C

The only answer is that we pour money into the programs, invest in DEVELOPMENT of YOUTH (and not just those that can afford to pay for the provincial programs and happen to live within an hour to 1.5 hour drive from the training centre) and GET BETTER. Period.

Very good post, if CONCACAF and CONMEBOL combine forces, that would include Mexico and the US in it, so realistically we will finished anywhere between the 13th and the 20th place....and of course not WC for us. Let's just be more realistic and deal with what's in front of our eyes. I didn't hear much from the americans complaining about the PK they got in the final of the GC, which IMO was a fake fall by Dos Santos. In Football just like in life, you win some and you lose some.....just deal with reality.

Macksam...my comments were tongue and cheek....more meant to suggest this whole topic is absurd.

We cannot make any realistic claim to being part of Asia, Europe, South America, or Africa....As for Oceania, we could at least make the argument that we share the same ocean as Fiji, Tonga, etc.

Not that it would ever happen but I think the biggest benefit of joining UEFA would be the chance to enter clubs in european competitions. This would be a huge boost to creating our own legitimate domestic league with the potential carrot of the Champions League for owners and team who really want to take it seriously.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

And you were right, my article was very much tongue in cheek. But it is fun to see the arguments that are being put forth. I still like the idea of forming our own region. Maybe we could invite St. Pierre et Miquelon for our continental championship the same way Guadeloupe and Martinique can play in the Gold Cup.

That was a fun article, G-L!

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Not that it would ever happen but I think the biggest benefit of joining UEFA would be the chance to enter clubs in european competitions. This would be a huge boost to creating our own legitimate domestic league with the potential carrot of the Champions League for owners and team who really want to take it seriously.

I'm not sure getting waxed in the first qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League is much of a carrot. Having a realistic chance to go deep into the CONCACAF CL seems like a lot more fun to me.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I'm not sure getting waxed in the first qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League is much of a carrot. Having a realistic chance to go deep into the CONCACAF CL seems like a lot more fun to me.

When I said "for owners and teams who really want to take it seriously" I mean spending money on a highly competitive team. An organization like MLSE for example could certainly afford to shell out a 40 milion dollar pay roll to field a team good enough to make the group stage. MLSE is just an example but you get the idea.

quote:Originally posted by earlimus

Maybe it's the beer talking (it's late afternoon and REALLY hot here in Madrid), but I think that we sound like a bunch of pussies even talking about this. We really coudn't ask for an easier confederation aside from Oceana, and aiside from the obvious fact that we'll never be in another confederation... there's only one reason we even want to leave.

We suck.

We suck really bad, and every single one of us is sick of it. We're sick of losing. We get a lot of bad calls, CONCACAF is currupt and BS (so is every other confederation), soccer is still in it's infancy here in Canada, we have less money than half of the teams in Africa.... but at the end of the day, we have only ourselves to blame.

We suck.

Still... I'd rather suck than call it quits and hop ship to another confederation. Self-respect still counts for something.

On the bright side Soccer is on the rise here in beaverland, and things really can't get any worse.

Yeah, have paitience I say. I think we'll definately make 2018.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Macksam...my comments were tongue and cheek....more meant to suggest this whole topic is absurd.

We cannot make any realistic claim to being part of Asia, Europe, South America, or Africa....As for Oceania, we could at least make the argument that we share the same ocean as Fiji, Tonga, etc.

Ah, well I agree. The topic is absurd. The most laughable part is people mentioning UEFA. I mean, you could make the argument look more respectiable with mentioning South America instead.

I would love to see Canada ditch CONCACAF, but it just isn't going to happen. While some countries play in confederations outside of the continents in which they reside - Israel, Kazakhstan and Australia are a few examples - Canada doesn't have any place to go. Both Europe and Asia are just too far away to be viable alternatives. A pan-American confederation would minimise travel across time zones, but as JamboAl points out, we'd be outmatched by that level of competition.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Australia has a sound geographical case for being part of Asia (i.e. other Indian Ocean island nations like Indonesia and East Timor are immediately due north and already part of the Asian Football Confederation). Canada does not. There is zero chance of Canada being allowed to leave CONCACAF.

Not only does distance work more in Australia's favour, but said distance is latitudinal in nature. There's a big difference between north-south and east-west travel. I can't imagine that Asian teams have to cross many time zones in order to play in Australia. In contrast, Canada is several time zones away from even the closest European or Asian countries.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto Ruffrider

Not only does distance work more in Australia's favour, but said distance is latitudinal in nature. There's a big difference between north-south and east-west travel. I can't imagine that Asian teams have to cross many time zones in order to play in Australia. In contrast, Canada is several time zones away from even the closest European or Asian countries.

You're under-estimating how much of a remote island Australia is. They are some 8 time-zones east of some parts of Asia. So the distance is both latitudinal and longitudinal in nature.

Australia used to qualify with Asia in the past. Not sure when Oceania broke away from Asia, but if one looks up qualifying for 66, 70, 74 and 78 one can see this.

So, it was not a real stretch for Australia to return to Asia as there was already a precedent. As fun as the idea is there is no way Canada will ever be allowed to leave this confederation. It would be an admission of culpability on the part of FIFA and CONCACAF.

Personally I think Canada should just quit participating in the Gold Cup until a rotation system is in place. In lieu of participating there should be a resurrection of the Canada Cup. Unfortunately, neither option is likely to happen.

Interesting. I've been preaching this for many years, and I've mentioned it on this site several times since the Hondo match.

"we are in between two oceans" Eh? What happened to the Atlantic, or was it the Pacific you forgot? This country is surrounded by three oceans.

Although I really like option four, we would not get much competition so my vote is for option one.

Archived