Canada Games

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Soccer at the Canada Games in numbers:

Total of 9/13 teams population is under 14% of the country

Soccer teams represent 300 of the 4400 athletes at the games (7%)

Canada Games cost $33 million, soccer's share of that is $2.3 million.

We spend $1.7 million on all our national youth teams combined.

The CSA already has two national provincial competitions: sll-star and club championships. Take the $2.3 million and put it where it should be - in our national youth programs.

Pretty amazing how the numbers fall dont you think Vic.. it makes you wonder who at the top of the sport pyramid is thinking.. and why they are there.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Bates

So you think the NWT team has very little representation and yet you infer that whole Provinces not have a team, yeah that makes a lot of sense.

No.. I think the NWT team has been selected based on being upper class daughters of highly paid public servants and doctors etc.... there seems to be no native players on the team .. at least not based on names or the images of the girls as presented.

My caveat is of course you can be native i.e. having a membership in a first nation and looking like a blonde haired, blue eyed anglo saxon or nordic stock person.

But Bates the points are :

NWT team does not appear to represent NWT culturally and it certainly does not statistically deserve enter to the Canada games if you belive in equity .. many other young women of better skill have no chance to go to Canada Games becuase they are living in higher population areas.. and the games is not based on equity but some flawed vision of provincial competition to produce the cadre of national athletes.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

It doesn't grow soccer in Nunavut if they have their spots taken by the Brampton Bombers or whoever.

hey, if you dig seeing one province vs. another province, go for it. To each their own.

To me, this tournament means nothing, just like the national all-star tournament means almost nothing until the semi final/final round because, frankly, there are far too many weak sisters throughout the country. I've spoken to people in PEI who are scouting this tournament who frankly tell me the quality of the tournament is poor, the schedule doesn't permit quality to flourish even if it existed and its generally a waste of time.

As for "growing soccer in Nunavut", I would argue that investing even $1 on developing the sport in Nunavut is basically money wasted. That might be a very un-PC thing to say but its the truth. The CSA will always get negative returns on investment for any monies spent in the far north.

I would be willing to bet a fair amount of $ that the CSA would be VERY HAPPY if the soccer competition was removed from the Canada Games. The larger provincial associations treat it as an afterthought as well, from what I'm told.

As fro Trillium's point about Ontario being horribly underrespresented at national soccer tournaments, that is impossible to deny. I don't really care if the Canada Games addresses this inequity or not (I would be just as happy if the Canada Games ceased to exist) but I think the CSA should do something about this at the National Championships level.

I would argue in the other direction that all the money sent to the CSA to underfund the National team is actually money wasted by the National body as so few Canadians actually care about our National Team. Not to mention the shoddy return we see from this program. Let's not forget that every player playing soccer in this Country pays a levy to the CSA and thus are not really a drain on the CSA. As for Trillium, do you think the Coaches of the NWT team should go to every remote village throughout the territory where the game is barely played and try to convince people to try out for the team?? Or should they scout in the larger centres and oick the best from there? The Games are not about Culture they are about sport and it really should not matter what Culture you are!

quote:Every other competition also has a National Championship so I guess we should just not have a Canada Games at all. Now that you mention it there is also a World Championship for all sports so I guess we should also get rid of the Olympics!!!!

Bates, we already have two national provincial youth championships in soccer.

quote:These arguements make little sense to me and I personally think we should have more competitions not less and they should also be for up and coming athletes not just the very elite.

I blew the math last time and forgot about both genders - the numbers are double that.

(13 teams) x (18 players + 3 staff) x (2 genders) = 600 of 4400 athletes = 14%

The cost allocation of providing a standalone ONE WEEK competition where 9/13 participants represent 14% of the country in ONE single age group is almost 3X what we spend ANNUALLY on ALL our national youth teams combined.

All I can say is I'm glad Ontario doesn't run the show.

I actually think it's important that all our Provincial and Territorial teams get to play. That's what makes Canada well Canada. Not one Province shouting that we need more representation and excluding or almagamating others.

But then again I live in a small province that would most likely be excluded if the Ontario posters had their way [}:)]

Oddly Hockey Canada sees no problem with a U-17 tourney held at Canada Games (the World U-17 Challange isn't even held in Canada Games years) or Baseball or Basketball Canada.

I guess it shows the levels of maturity.

Does my little Province win alot?........NO

But we are a Province and we love wearing the Gallion at National competitions and would be insulted if we couldn't.

CnGmC.gif

I'd like it too if I was getting the same funding as areas 20x the size as the one I lived in on a regular basis. But I like to think I'd see the light and grow out of it (and by the way, I do live in an area which is similarly affected and I got over it and accepted it as reality long ago).

It's also not about regionalism, it's about spending gross amounts of our almost non-existant soccer funding on kids who couldn't make elite teams in major urban areas while our national youth programs run on shoestrings. We have a difficult U17 World Cup CONCACAF tournament in March and because we have no money the kids haven't even had a single camp! But we've just spent millions making sure hundreds of kids below that level are looked after.

Only in Canada.

The Games are not about Culture they are about sport and it really should not matter what Culture you are!

Dead wrong again .. Bates, you really dont get it at all do you ... now read.. absorb and think then you can try to make a valid argument.

From the Canada Games site:

2009 Canada Games unveils details of Cultural Arts Festival

May 14, 2009 - The 2009 Canada Games Ceremonies, Protocol and Hospitality division unveiled its plans for the 2009 Canada Games Cultural Arts Festival (CAF) and announced the headliners for the two-week event today at Holland College’s Culinary Institute.

The CAF will take place on Prince Edward Island from August 16 - 29, 2009. CAF will showcase Island arts and takes place at various venues across the province.

Some of the artists taking part in the Performing arts portion of the festival include: Lennie Gallant, Two Hours Traffic, Paper Lions, Smothered in Hugs, The Grass Mountain Hobos, Catherine MacLellan, Nathan Wiley, Battery Point, Richard Wood, Tim Chaisson Band, Dan Currie Band, Brooke Miller, Meaghan Blanchard, Pat Deighan, Teresa Doyle Trio, Scot Parsons, Celtic Ladies, Janet McGarry & Wildwood, Gladelle, Saddle River String Band, Edge, Intoxicado, Fiddler’s Sons, Roy Johnstone, Steve Sharratt, La Ragazza, Trio Chaisson, the College of Piping Dancers with more participants to be announced as the Games near.

“The Cultural Arts Festival Committee has really run with the idea of making this great event into an Island-wide arts expo,” Clair Smith, Chair of the Cultural Arts Festival Committee said. ”We are positive that the Festival will give a huge amount of exposure to artists all across PEI.”

There are three main components of the CAF: Visual, Performing and Culinary Arts. During this media event, speakers presented information about the Festival itself – an overall picture of what the festival is all about and in which communities it will be visiting, an announcement of headliners for the Performing Arts component, and general information on the three components of the Festival.

The Visual Arts sector of the Cultural Arts Festival will have two main parts: a pair of one- week art exhibits (one in Summerside and one in Charlottetown) related to the Canada Games theme of “Inspiring Dreams and Building Champions,” and Artist-in-Residence one-day events in 12 different communities across the Island.

The Culinary Arts element of the program features the Cuisine Machine, a state-of-the art mobile kitchen. The fully-equipped kitchen on wheels will be making stops in all 12 selected communities during the CAF and will feature a local ‘Chef of the Day’ at each stop. These guest chefs will use their own recipe to create a taste of the local community with the help of Holland College Culinary Institute staff.

The CAF aims to produce a festival for Games participants, spectators and the community that showcases Island arts and culture in various locations, while providing opportunities to link to the national Canada Games theme.

“The 2009 Canada Games Cultural Arts Festival gives us the opportunity to show off our Island’s rich and distinct culture to the rest of our country,” said Joseph Spriet, President of the Host Society. “We’re anxiously awaiting the contributions of our Island communities, our talented local artists, and our nation’s young artists to this year’s Games.”

2009 Canada Games Cultural Arts Festival Schedule:

Sunday, August 16 – Murray Christian Education Centre, Kensington

Monday, August 17 – Centre Expo, Evangeline/Abrams Village

Tuesday, August 18 – Parish Centre, Tignish

Wednesday, August 19 – Centre Belle Alliance, Summerside

Thursday, August 20 – Sports Centre, O’Leary

Friday, August 21 – New London, Gallery 18

Sunday, August 23 – Indian River, Indian River

Monday, August 24 – Kaylee Hall, Montague

Tuesday, August 25 – Eastern King’s Arena, Souris

Wednesday, August 26 – King’s Playhouse, Georgetown

Thursday, August 27 – Our Lady of Assumption Parish Hall, Stratford

Friday, August 28 – The Guild and UPEI, Charlottetown

Saturday August – Closing Ceremonies at UPEI, Charlottetown

ENTER YOUR RECIPE IN OUR FESTIVAL RECIPE CONTEST!

Is there an old family recipe that has been handed down from generation to generation in your family? Here’s a great chance to share your treasure. Each winning recipe will be featured in a designated community during the 2009 Canada Games Cultural Arts Festival.

Categories:

Appetizers, mains, desserts or beverages

Rules for the contest:

1) Recipe must be a traditional recipe from one of the participating communities

2) Must be over 18 years of age to participate

3) Winner responsible for own transportation to event

4) Do not have to live in the community

5) Must be available on the date specified in order to qualify as the winner

6) Be willing to provide the exact recipe for the contest

Please send your recipe entry to CAF Recipe Contest, Suite 247, 180 Kent St., Charlottetown PE C1A 7K4 along with your:

Name:

Address:

Daytime phone:

Email:

Community:

Category:

Over 18 yrs Y / N

For more information call toll free: 1-888-438-2009.

DEADLINE: July 1, 2009

As for Trillium, do you think the Coaches of the NWT team should go to every remote village throughout the territory where the game is barely played and try to convince people to try out for the team?? Or should they scout in the larger centres and oick the best from there?

The soccer association should have programs accross the Territory ..i.e. playing futsall, and the talented players who come out of such a development program that matches population bases and facilitys.. can then be developed and moved forward in the sport based on talent.

And of course any player in a population of under forty thousand should have been looked at .. if as you believe they only looked Yellowknife to select the team .. shame on them, and more to the point shame on you for having such a opinion.

I dont think NWT should get a pass to Canada Games, but I sure as hell dont think an athelete of talent should not get to be on the NWT team becuase they come from a small town, if thats your belief Bates your a pretty confused individual with regards to sport and life.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

I'd like it too if I was getting the same funding as areas 20x the size as the one I lived in on a regular basis. But I like to think I'd see the light and grow out of it (and by the way, I do live in an area which is similarly affected and I got over it and accepted it as reality long ago).

It's also not about regionalism, it's about spending gross amounts of our almost non-existant soccer funding on kids who couldn't make elite teams in major urban areas while our national youth programs run on shoestrings. We have a difficult U17 World Cup CONCACAF tournament in March and because we have no money the kids haven't even had a single camp! But we've just spent millions making sure hundreds of kids below that level are looked after.

Only in Canada.

Vic, perfectly said.

Kids from small provinces (actually, from all provinces) get their chance to rep their province each and every year....its called the national championships. I'm no fan of those competitions either but I won't raise a stink about it like I raise a stink about the canada games.

the Canada Games is a pure waste. It serves zero purpose. The money wasted could be reinvested in so many more productive ways (more full time staff coaches, more camps for national teams, etc...)

I think you are playing with my words a little Trillium. I obviously believe that each Province is responsible for finding the best athletes in that Province and giving them every opportunity to advance themselves as far as they can in their respective sport. My post was in reference to yours about not seeing enough Native or Inuit names on the team and I believe that the Culture or background of the athlete should have no bearing on the selection. I would also still assume that most players on every team will come from the bigger centres of the Province and I doubt many from Kapuskasing are on the Ontario team.

The Cultural part of the Games is the presentation of the host region and not really the Culture of the Country as a whole. And I still believe that a Country such as Canada would be much happier putting money into a participaction event such as the CG than only funding a few elite athletes on a National level.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

As for "growing soccer in Nunavut", I would argue that investing even $1 on developing the sport in Nunavut is basically money wasted. That might be a very un-PC thing to say but its the truth. The CSA will always get negative returns on investment for any monies spent in the far north.

The CSA should be looking after CANADA. Not The privileged south.

It may be a waste, but that's what funding national sport programs in a country as large as ours.

It may be a waste for our national team, but I can speak from experience about the effects a soccer pitch had on a town in Nunavik.

KIds used to do drugs on a grassy space, then they turned it into a soccer pitch and softball field, and now some of those very kids are still there, but playing instead of just doing drugs.

Sorry, but any money spent making that happen, is worth more than if we had a whole team full of hargreaves/JDG2's/any other star canadian.

^ I won't argue about the value of a soccer pitch in every neighbourhood. It makes me happy to drive by a park to see kids kicking a ball around, especially when its an unorganized kickabout. If a soccer field has the impact of giving kids back some greenspace that had been taken over by drug users, then that is doubly fantastic. However, as best as I can tell, its not the CSA who is building these pitches. Those kudos belong to local government and school boards and sometimes provincial/territoral soccer associations or district associations. I applaud these organizations for doing their job and doing good for their communities.

The local governing body is responsible for growing and promoting the sport of soccer in each region/territory/province. The CSA is responsible for promoting the sport of soccer on a national level and accomplishes that, in part, by organizing annual national championship tournaments, where, as far as I know, every province and territory is invited to field a team. Those tournaments are expensive. To invest in another, utterly meaningless, event which does little to further the goals in the CSA strategic plan is wasteful. Ultimately, this is my beef.

Another way the CSA promotes and develops the sport is by organizing national team programs to allow our best and brightest to compete against their peers across the region and the around the world. They do this poorly, in part because their limited financial resources are spread too thin. When you try to please everyone, you usually end up pleasing no one.

You want to see the sport grow, coast to coast to coast, at a faster speed than its growing right now? Let's qualify a team for a World Cup. That will grow the sport throughout the country, including the north, so fast it will make our collective heads spin.

The participation side of our sport in this country is doing JUST FINE. We are a model for the world. However, we generally suck at the elite side of the sport partly because we are so single mindedly focused on the participation/recreation side of the sport. I'm a believer that if you take care of the elite, the recreational will thrive (people will be even more interested in the sport at the grassroots if the elite is successful) but if you are only worried about the participation/recreational side of the sport at the expense of the elite, the sport's ability to reach its full potential will never be achieved

Well, I guess I leave this thread disheartend that what is Canada's largest multi-sport games and celebration of our culture, our music and our atheltes has broken down into "we deserve more, others deserve less"

Hopefully the Hymn of the Canada Games will survive..........

LOOK OUT, LOOK OUT, LOOK OUT WORLD.......WE'RE COMING ON STRONG.

I see that the policy of all provinces sending teams and the CG present format is really killing our National Hockey program. With a quick could I see at least 18 players at the Olympic camp are from the areas our posters here think should never be seen. Maybe soccer should learn and put more money into our smaller areas.

hey, if you dig seeing one province vs. another province, go for it. To each their own.

To me, this tournament means nothing, just like the national all-star tournament means almost nothing until the semi final/final round because, frankly, there are far too many weak sisters throughout the country. I've spoken to people in PEI who are scouting this tournament who frankly tell me the quality of the tournament is poor, the schedule doesn't permit quality to flourish even if it existed and its generally a waste of time.

I would be willing to bet a fair amount of $ that the CSA would be VERY HAPPY if the soccer competition was removed from the Canada Games. The larger provincial associations treat it as an afterthought as well, from what I'm told.

As fro Trillium's point about Ontario being horribly underrespresented at national soccer tournaments, that is impossible to deny. I don't really care if the Canada Games addresses this inequity or not (I would be just as happy if the Canada Games ceased to exist) but I think the CSA should do something about this at the National Championships level.

If there are people scouting, then that in itself tells me that there is value to this event. How many opportunities do players outside of the large three or four provinces have to actually get seen by anybody? Granted, I know, not much will come of it but, just having that opportunity to be seen means a lot because the absence of that opportunity only furthers the notion that soccer is a sport for only the large urban centres and ethnic communities. Right now, that is in fact the case, but real progress will be achieved when the sport breaks through in other parts and demograhics outside of large urban centres in much the same way that hockey and baseball are able to turn out talent from all backgrounds and geographical areas.

There are some terrific players that have played at the Canada games. I still recall seeing a standout Patrice Bernier play in the gold medal game. And the tournament now has added significance because its academy teams that are playing and what opportunities currently exits to see pro club academy teams go up against each other?

Its true, that the discrepancy in size of the provinces makes this, in some way, a waste of time and money. You would have a much better tournament if, for example, Atlantic Canada sent one team, same for the prairies and if you had the territories players tried out for either BC or the prairies. There is also the added silliness of playing a whole tournament of 12 teams in one week.

I'd be very disappointed if the CSA felt that they'd be better off if the sport was removed from the CG's. They are not footing the bill so why turn down the opportunity to provide competition and opportunity for developing and scouting talent, at no cost to them. If provincial hockey teams can go to the Canada games, then why shouldn't soccer teams. It would be backward thinking of the CSA to deny its players that opportunity that every other sport association is taking advantage of.

^ If there is a tournament of any stature going on, people will scout it, be it College coaches, CSA technical staff, etc.. Those i spoke to (college people) are disappointed once again by the quality of the tournament and by the scheduling (too many games over too few days = poor quality). The only way it could be worse is if they made teams play more than 1 game per day. Apparently its been VERY hot as well so that only exacerbates the problems.

I won't argue that terrific players have participated in the Canada Games but i doubt there are many who were unknown prior to the scouts prior to those games (at least as far as soccer is concerned). They just became exposed to a small percentage of the general public (I say small percentage because only those who would attend the event in person would see them because soccer doesn't seem to get any airtime by TSN).

You bring up an interesting topic about the players that are pulled from the pro academies. In central canada, the TFC academy players get to play against the Impact's youth players at least twice a year in the CSL. The Whitecaps don't have that luxury but they get high quality training and competition in their own right. I'm not sure in what way these young players benefit from being pulled from the club environment to play a compressed schedule tournament against teams of questionable quality until the semi finals or finals.

I should not have said that the CSA would feel the sport is better served by having it removed from the canada games. Frankly, that's hyperbole. I'm should have said that, in my opinion, these games serve almost no purpose as all the individual sports already have their own national championships each year. I just don't see the value in the duplication. Maybe certain CSA people might think their time could be better spent tending to other matters but I'm sure they would say that soccer should be included as long as the Canada Games exist.

There is no point in me arguing my point further. my viewpoint is not popular, which is ok. When it comes to these types of events, maybe I'm too practical but I'm just not a fan.

^ If there is a tournament of any stature going on, people will scout it, be it College coaches, CSA technical staff, etc.. Those i spoke to (college people) are disappointed once again by the quality of the tournament and by the scheduling (too many games over too few days = poor quality). The only way it could be worse is if they made teams play more than 1 game per day. Apparently its been VERY hot as well so that only exacerbates the problems.

I won't argue that terrific players have participated in the Canada Games but i doubt there are many who were unknown prior to the scouts prior to those games (at least as far as soccer is concerned). They just became exposed to a small percentage of the general public (I say small percentage because only those who would attend the event in person would see them because soccer doesn't seem to get any airtime by TSN).

You bring up an interesting topic about the players that are pulled from the pro academies. In central canada, the TFC academy players get to play against the Impact's youth players at least twice a year in the CSL. The Whitecaps don't have that luxury but they get high quality training and competition in their own right. I'm not sure in what way these young players benefit from being pulled from the club environment to play a compressed schedule tournament against teams of questionable quality until the semi finals or finals.

I should not have said that the CSA would feel the sport is better served by having it removed from the canada games. Frankly, that's hyperbole. I'm should have said that, in my opinion, these games serve almost no purpose as all the individual sports already have their own national championships each year. I just don't see the value in the duplication. Maybe certain CSA people might think their time could be better spent tending to other matters but I'm sure they would say that soccer should be included as long as the Canada Games exist.

There is no point in me arguing my point further. my viewpoint is not popular, which is ok. When it comes to these types of events, maybe I'm too practical but I'm just not a fan.

I am sure that any recruiter would say the same ( ie.: regarding the quality of talent) if they attended any of of the national championships because, from what I can tell, the characters are pretty much the same who have played at one time or another in those events as well. Its no secret to even the distant observer that in Canada, there is a bit of cultural divide in soccer between people in the three or four large urban centres and the rest of Canada. And you only have to look at the make up and the origins or any player that is named to a national team callup at any level. This is what currently distinguishes the sport from, say, hockey . It was interesting to read todays paper where they listed the invitees and origins of players to the Hockey Canada Olympic camp. Its amazing to see players from places that we would never imagine ever seeing soccer NT soccer players come from.

The whole tournament and setup definitely has its issues. But I think that many problems stem from that cultural divide that I was mentioning earlier. Probably because most of the decision makers come from the other side of that divide where the belief is that in their Canada, there is Hockey and then there is everything else. Also true, that outside of the medal round there wouldn't be much point in watching.

Finally, yeah, It will be be very interesting to see BC ( Whitecaps academy) play against Ontario (TFC academy) and the Impact youth. As I mentioned all along in this thread, that itself is the biggest attraction to me because it will be like a report card on the two organizations. I agree that, it sucks, that for the first time ever we wont get to see it on TV. Because here is bound to bring out a whole lot of competitive spirits and pride amongst the two organizations. Just that makes it all worth the while to me. In the absence of that, I might be inclined to lean more towards your line of thinking.

Subsequent Edit.: forgot to mention that Abdoulaye Sylla will be playing in this tournament. That plus the competition amongst club academies makes it worth the while.

http://cg2009.gems.pro/Result/ShowPerson.aspx?Person_GUID=4043bf41-4f3e-4f6a-a9cd-cfbe2f405d36&SetLanguage=en-CA

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Well, I guess I leave this thread disheartend that what is Canada's largest multi-sport games and celebration of our culture, our music and our atheltes has broken down into "we deserve more, others deserve less"

Hopefully the Hymn of the Canada Games will survive..........

LOOK OUT, LOOK OUT, LOOK OUT WORLD.......WE'RE COMING ON STRONG.

Seriously do you think a once every four years summer Canada Games advances elite sport on a equitable basis in this country ?

This year its the U16 age girls who get the experience next year its nobody .. where the hell is the equity in that ?

Canada Games is an excuse to fund constructtion projects, its not about elite sport development and when indivduals like you think it is.. its a Sham and a Shame.

I see that the policy of all provinces sending teams and the CG present format is really killing our National Hockey program. With a quick could I see at least 18 players at the Olympic camp are from the areas our posters here think should never be seen. Maybe soccer should learn and put more money into our smaller areas.

What are you blathering on about ?

You cannot compare the development programs of Canadain hockey to any other team sport, its apples to oranges.

If you trying to say that most Canadian elite hockey players come from small towns your right.. not because of Canada Winter Games once every four years but because every town of 1000 plus population in the country has a rink, and every town with 2000 plus in general has a Junior B team or better that local kids can aspire to play for.

Bates you clearly dont think to well and you have no freaking knowledge of the structure of sport and development in the Country ... again go do some reading apply some critical thinking skills.. and realize Kumbaya does not make elite athletes.. hard work and money does.

Has anyone ever considered allowing more than 13 teams into the competition? That would solve a lot of problems.

BC =2

Ont = 4

Que = 3

All others = 1

You shouldn't limit competition to just teams from large metro areas. You need to develop the sport everywhere in the country and that needs exposure and experience for young players from everywhere.

I don't see how having more than 1 team from a province would cause any problems. The more players who get to play at the national level the better. The more players you have registered the more teams you get.

I think it shows how far CSA is behind Hockey Canada.

In non CG years there's an U-17 World Hockey Challenge with Team Atlantic, Quebec, Ontario, West and Pacific. In CG years there's no World Challenge and Provincial teams play at the Games.

Cultural divide HAHAHAH.

Team NB has played together for 2 years preparing for the CG. Where else would these players get that training. To throw that out the window to satisfy a few Upper Canadians would be an injustice.

CSA backed TFC and the National Stadium to promote elite soccer.

I've seen no benefit in NB and taking away the CG would hurt our programs.

CSA has to get it's head outta Toronto's arse and look after the Nation.

There's still no National Jr Leagues like there is in Hockey both at the Major Jr or Jr A level. There's nothing that can compare to the Telus Midget Hockey Championships. There's nothing that compares to the WJHC or even the World Jr A Challenge in hockey.

There was a Hockey Canada indentification camp in Halifax just today for the World Jr A Challenge.

When was the last time CSA even bothered to come east for an indentify any thing or anybody camp?

Hell even in Atlantic University Sports Soccer is very much the weak sister of hockey.

Don't give me the culural divide crap. CSA just doesn't get it.

To take away a national competition just because a few Upper Canadians think it's meaningless.

No build more at the Provincial level because there's more to Canada than Ontario and support is needed. Geezus go to Hockey Canada and see how a national sports govering body should be run.

Speaking from the point of view of someone who has been in the system, I can say conclusively that it’s not just the Canada Games soccer that needs overhaul, the whole CSA “all-star provincial” (or whatever the heck you wanna call it).

Part of it is there are plenty of kids that are really good at playing soccer that are not recognized, either because they are covered up in Ontario, BC, or Quebec for various reasons (can’t afford it, hard to stand out amongst really good players, etc.) To coaches who either: don’t know what they are talking about, picking their sons/son’s friends/guys who played together, etc. Then you have players in Atlantic Canada who aren’t looked at because the associations cannot be bothered.

Now, I am not an expert in fixing this solution, so I am gonna shut up on that, but I think that is the root of the problem. It has to be that the best compete against each other, regardless of name, income, race or whatever. I don’t care if there are any natives on the NWT squad, as long as it’s the best assembled possible.

Archived