Canada Games

quote:Originally posted by MM2

Quebec could be a favorite, they have 12 players from the Trois Rivieres Attak and most of them are starters in the CSL.

The majority of the players for each of BC, Ontario, and Quebec play for the newly formed academies or youth teams that are run by pro clubs (Whitecaps, TFC, and Impact).

That's what makes this tournament ( more than ever) intriguing. It will be interesting to see if there is any kind of gap that has emerged between those three and the other provinces. Furthermore this kind of affiliation to the clubs only adds to the motivation and competitiveness of the event.

Looking forward to seeing these games on TV but unfortunately TSN has the rights to the Canada games and it doesn't look like they are going to show any matches judging from the broadcast schedule that they have posted.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by ibrox

Argh,

Slightly off-topic, but how did Fundy get to the U-18 finals? From what I was told they only won 1 game (vs. North West...woop woop) so they had to play Chaleur in the semis? Did Fundy really win? Or did they get there by default (ie. forfeit or Chaleur fielding a 3rd string side).

My guess is the latter, cause the game was on a Wednesday at 7:30 in Fundy...Im sure the boys wouldve been game for a long drive on a weeknight haha.

You already seem to know more than I do.[B)]

The coach is Phillipe Eulafroy

ÉQUIPE DU QUÉBEC U18-M

Augustin, Francesco (Attak de Trois-Rivières)

Cardin, Felix (Attak de Trois-Rivières)

Dagrou, Armel (FC Outaouais)

De Chantal Dumont,Samuel (Attak de Trois-Rivières)

Dinkota, Serge (Attak de Trois-Rivières)

Cardinal-Soucy, Emile (FC Outaouais)

Ilcu, Mircea (Attak de Trois-Rivières)

Lagarde, Simon (Attak de Trois-Rivières)

Lapointe-Sénécal, Hugo (Beauport)

Lewis-Lamoureux, David (Attak de Trois-Rivières)

Meftouh, Amine (Attak de Trois-Rivières)

Nana, Diderot (Attak de Trois-Rivières)

Ouimette, Karl (Attak de Trois-Rivières)

Riggi, Alessandro (Conquérants de Laval)

Rumuri, Chris (Attak de Trois-Rivières)

Sylla, Abdoulaye (FC Metz/France)

Zrnic, Emir (FC Outaouais)

I predict some bias in your statement Soccerpro...but, I'll admit your/the store is full of quality stuff lol.

Quebec gets an easy run to the final, their only opposition maybe NS, and that’s if they take the games seriously. I’ll go for an Ontario win against Quebec in the Final.

New Brunswick – Will be hard pressed to match their (although IMO fluke) 2nd place last time out. The coaching staff headed by Geoff Landers knows how to get the most out of their players. Actually, he is one of the few good coaches in Atlantic Canada. Their squad is considerable weaker however, and will take a major fall down the standings. Not to the bottom as it would be astounding if they finished last in the group. Prediction: 7th

BC: Apparently haven’t even played a game, so unsurprisingly will be very arrogant coming in; however, I think they probably have learned about their 1-0 loss to NB last time out, but they’ll still get Bronze. They do have the Whitecaps academy to draw off of like QC and Ontario in the Impact and TFC respectively. Prediction: 3rd.

PEI: Will have the hometown crowd behind them and will have a very good squad given they did well in the NB/PEI senior league. However, if they are to challenge for a medal they will to have to upset BC or Alberta in the quarter final game which may be a tall order. They will improve on their position from 2005. Prediction: 6th

Nova Scotia: Usually they have a good pool of players to draw from, but as I said many a time, it depends what kind of squad they bring and if they take the Canada Games seriously. Luckily, their only difficult game in and after the group is Quebec, so I think they will make it to the semis but lose out to BC. Prediction: 4th

Alberta: Don`t know too much on them, but even though they have very strong clubs, they don`t have a strong overall provincial program. Their only hope of getting to the medals is if they win the group, and even then it may be a tall order to get there if they have PEI in the quarters. My prediction is they will come 2nd in their group. Prediction: 5th

Manitoba: don’t know too much on them, but the group says it all. Prediction: 9th

Saskatchewan: Same as above. Prediction: 8th

Newfoundland: They had a decent Challenge Cup season, but I think, as per usual, they will be in for a big disappointment when they get to the games. Prediction: 10th

Yukon: They will beat a province someday, but it won`t be at this edition of the games. If they do, its against NL. Prediction: 11th

Northwest Territories: No comment. Prediction: 12th.

I echo some of your sentiments:

Quebec+Ontario = always spoiled with talent, should finish 1+2.

NB = lack of talent, got whooped in the MSL = near the bottom finish

BC = If they havent played a game together yet, will have gelling issues. 4-5th

PEI = Had a strong performence in the MSL, hometown crowd helps, just ask UPEI. = 3-4th

N.S = Did well in the N.S.S.L, but havent heard of any real stars on the squad. 5-7th

Alberta - Pretty unknown. Were awesome 8 years ago. Hit or Miss 4-6th

Manitoba - My adopted home province of less than a year pulls at my heart strings. I see they did ok in the MMSL, just it was an exhibition schedule only, big difference. - 6th-9th

Sask - Unknown, no real history of results - 6-9th

Newfoundland - 10th. Haven't heard much from them, dont think they put in a huge amount of prep time.

Yukon - I see they played in the USA cup in Minnesota this year and got some results, might win a placement game...

N.W.T - last.

quote:Originally posted by Bates

This has to be one of the dumbest posts I have ever read on this site. The Canada Games is an athletic competition that put the Provinces of Canada in direct competition with each other. provinces already have Provincial Championships such as the Ontario Cup tp play for. For the record the finalists in the last 2 Canada Games have included NL and Nb. Also I guess Canada should not be able to try and qualify for the World Cup as surely Countries such as Brazil, Spain, Italy and such could send several teams that are better than any Canadian team!!!!

So let me see... NWT with roughly 40,000 people get to enter a team in the soccer competition composed of 15 and 16 year old girls, Eastern Ontario .. does not get to enter a team .. and has 50,000 registered players in the sport... that not equitable nor is it meeting the rationale for the Games .. which is to act as the first exposure of atheletes to a Multi-Sport sports competition with the belief and hope the indivdual athletes will move to to compete in Commonwealth, Pan AM and Olympics.

The representation model, is wrong, the Canadian Olympic Association has brought in standards.. to qualify Canadians to go onto international events, a simalar impostion of standards for Canada Games needs to be introduced not only for individual sports but for team sports.

Bates.. go look at who the NWT is made up of the pictures and bios are on the Canada 2009 games sight.. Its a pretty amazing selection process to see in front of you, I see no Inuit players at all... now why would that be ?

You might want to read up on who runs the Canada Games organisation .. it might open your eyes.. the event is a sham as currently structured and does nothing but to deliver sport facility to mid size citys with the capital cost coming from the feds and provincial governments.

Its wonderfull to sing Kumbahya.. but you know once you start to compete the process of sport needs to equitable in terms of fairness, the currrent games model is not fair to all young canadians it is more fair to some ... and that not right Bates.

^^^

But yet it's okay for the United Kingdom to have four teams in Euro competion and some say it adds flavour to have Faroe Islands, Andorra and such in the competion.

Like it or not Canada is a confederation of 10 Provinces and 3 Territories not 35 regions based on population.

These are the Canada Games with youth proudly representing their home provinces and territories.

Sorry Bates and arg1 but I have to agree with Trillium, but that being said I don't have a soultion. I just accept the Canada Games for what they are, and I think Trillium is spot on with his interpretation. Because lets face it, how can Yukon or NWT possibly compete against BC, ONT or PQ? I may be wrong but this seems to be the first time the big three were represented by acadamy players. I expect to see lopsided scores and I feel for NB, NL, SK, and Manitoba this time around. PEI might be okay and NS may have enough quality not to get embaressed, but from the others there will be 3-0, 4-0, and 5-0 scores, or mabye more. Hell Holy Cross beat NL-Canada Games 6-0 once this summer, and Holy Cross is not even comparable to Whitecaps, Impact, or TFC acadamy!

I guess Obinna we should also scrap club nationals and all-star nationals as well because the big provinces routinely squash the smaller ones. Maybe we should just have the Ontario zones and clubs play each other instead. Oh wait we already do that, it's called the Ontario cup!!! Oh and lets not forget about diamonds in the rough like Jazic from our National squad who played for Nove Scotia and would not ever be seen if we followed the notion that a little Province doesn't belong with the big boys. The Canada Games are as much about Participation as they are about finding athletes for the next level. It gives atletes a chance to evaluate themselves against the best of the other Provinces.

And for the record Obinna regarding the NL team getting beaten by the top Challenge Cup team I think you would find that this same result would occur in EVERY Province where such a game was played. Best ameteur team vs CG team as the games team are under 18 are not physically able to beat men.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

^^^

But yet it's okay for the United Kingdom to have four teams in Euro competion and some say it adds flavour to have Faroe Islands, Andorra and such in the competion.

Like it or not Canada is a confederation of 10 Provinces and 3 Territories not 35 regions based on population.

These are the Canada Games with youth proudly representing their home provinces and territories.

Nice try. Those countries FA's pay for their participation. Canadian taxpayers pay for the Canada Games and trust me, most provinces share of that doesn't cover their athletes meals.

The Canada Games are living proof of the difference between countries like Canada where athletics are about politics, and progressive countries around the world where athletics are about athletics. And it's not just the ridiculous mathematics. On top of that everyone has a different approach to the games. Some prepare heavily, some almost none, some send rep teams, some school teams, etc. Your actual results end up being shallow to meaningless. Nice to see all the kids get their kicks in and a nice official tournament but it does seem like a poor setup and use of the funds in terms of a national championship for the sport. Optimally we can find some way to parse the country into more equitable zones in terms of performance, and if that's too progressive it would be nice to see the funds put into our national youth championships (club and all-star) and see them run on a grander scale and with a bigger budget and merge that with the Games. At least then everyone has a chance to participate and everyone approaches it the same way and with the same platforms.

And for the record Obinna regarding the NL team getting beaten by the top Challenge Cup team I think you would find that this same result would occur in EVERY Province where such a game was played. Best ameteur team vs CG team as the games team are under 18 are not physically able to beat men.

Sorry but Trois Rivier(Impact reserve team/CG team) would not lose to the top amature club in Quebec by a 6-0 scoreline. TFC acadamy and Whitecaps acadamy would not lose 6-0 to any amature team in the country. These kids train in professional environments which you seem to underestimate. Lets wait for the results to see how well NB and NL do...

Bates do you know what?...I really don't know how I feel about these national all-star tournaments. The whole point is to identify players for the National team but by age 15-16 the best players in the country are already either A) in a domestic professional acadamy B) in a european professional acadamy or C) playing in super y-league.

The problem is, you are always going to find a Jazic from the Maritimes or a lad from the praries who would otherwise be overlooked. This is the reason we need more professional/semi-professional set ups in periphrial parts of the country! The National Allstar tournament is a great experience but lets get with the times here. Bates do you think the CSA would have this tournament if we had more pro clubs with acadamies?

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

Sorry but Trois Rivier(Impact reserve team/CG team) would not lose to the top amature club in Quebec by a 6-0 scoreline. TFC acadamy and Whitecaps acadamy would not lose 6-0 to any amature team in the country. These kids train in professional environments which you seem to underestimate. Lets wait for the results to see how well NB and NL do...

And don't forget that TFC Academy and Trois-Riv Attak play in the CSL, they don't play against U18 players they play against men. And even the Whitecaps academy plays in a what is a loose U23 league.

The Impact reserve team is not actually the CG team but many players are from that team. The Attak's best players from what I have read are too old to play in the CG. So to say that no ameteur team would beat the Attak is not actually the same as saying that no ameteur team would beat the CG team. I have watched and played plenty of soccer in all parts of this Country and I can pretty much guarantee you that in a meaningful game between any Provinces U-18 all-star team against that Province's best men's team it will always be a white washing for the men's team. The only Provinces where it would be close are the smaller Provinces as the men's league teams are usually quite weak. Do you think the Alberta CG team would not be destroyed by the Calgary Callies? If you don't you are a little silly in my opinion. Every CG year the Alberta CG team plays exhibition games against teams in the AMSL and are destroyed regularly without much effort by the Senior teams. And Alberta are regular medal contenders at the CG.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

So let me see... NWT with roughly 40,000 people get to enter a team in the soccer competition composed of 15 and 16 year old girls, Eastern Ontario .. does not get to enter a team .. and has 50,000 registered players in the sport... that not equitable nor is it meeting the rationale for the Games .. which is to act as the first exposure of atheletes to a Multi-Sport sports competition with the belief and hope the indivdual athletes will move to to compete in Commonwealth, Pan AM and Olympics.

The representation model, is wrong, the Canadian Olympic Association has brought in standards.. to qualify Canadians to go onto international events, a simalar impostion of standards for Canada Games needs to be introduced not only for individual sports but for team sports.

Bates.. go look at who the NWT is made up of the pictures and bios are on the Canada 2009 games sight.. Its a pretty amazing selection process to see in front of you, I see no Inuit players at all... now why would that be ?

You might want to read up on who runs the Canada Games organisation .. it might open your eyes.. the event is a sham as currently structured and does nothing but to deliver sport facility to mid size citys with the capital cost coming from the feds and provincial governments.

Its wonderfull to sing Kumbahya.. but you know once you start to compete the process of sport needs to equitable in terms of fairness, the currrent games model is not fair to all young canadians it is more fair to some ... and that not right Bates.

I dont like basketball.

I watched Sask NS and BC Ontario, because I love provincial tournaments.

I wouldnt give a shit seeing "eastern ontario I" play "Southern Ontario IV"

Canada games= all our provinces/territories fielding one team(if they can).

It doesn't grow soccer in Nunavut if they have their spots taken by the Brampton Bombers or whoever.

Curling is the only sport which gives Ontario more than one spot, and that goes to the communities in the northern part of the province. The exception is the Scottie where you have the Team Canada concept.

Apart from the Allen Cup (Where HNO got an allocation for the last tournament), Ontario gets one direct entry into competition.

Soccer at the Canada Games in numbers:

Total of 9/13 teams population is under 14% of the country

Soccer teams represent 300 of the 4400 athletes at the games (7%)

Canada Games cost $33 million, soccer's share of that is $2.3 million.

We spend $1.7 million on all our national youth teams combined.

The CSA already has two national provincial competitions: sll-star and club championships. Take the $2.3 million and put it where it should be - in our national youth programs.

Every other competition also has a National Championship so I guess we should just not have a Canada Games at all. Now that you mention it there is also a World Championship for all sports so I guess we should also get rid of the Olympics!!!! These arguements make little sense to me and I personally think we should have more competitions not less and they should also be for up and coming athletes not just the very elite.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Curling is the only sport which gives Ontario more than one spot, and that goes to the communities in the northern part of the province. The exception is the Scottie where you have the Team Canada concept.

Apart from the Allen Cup (Where HNO got an allocation for the last tournament), Ontario gets one direct entry into competition.

Your actually wrong ... Skate Canada has 13 National Sections.. Ontario has four .. which advance skaters to national championships... Quebec has effectively two sections in terms of skaters to advance to Eastern or Western challenges for the annual National Championships.

Because each sectional competition is an open entry event... the process allows for maximum success by talented atheletes.

Its a model other sports should/could follow easily.

Every other competition also has a National Championship so I guess we should just not have a Canada Games at all. Now that you mention it there is also a World Championship for all sports so I guess we should also get rid of the Olympics!!!! These arguements make little sense to me and I personally think we should have more competitions not less and they should also be for up and coming athletes not just the very elite.

Little sense .. ? because you dont understand the systemic discrimination being practiced ?

You need to do some reading.. did you even bother to look at the NWT girls team and wonder why it appears very very few if any native people were on the team ?

Get informed and then make your points.

Archived