Canada Games

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by McKennan

Has anyone been following the CG teams and who should be the ones to watch when they arrive in PEI.

Canada games is a joke.. you send Yukon to play and they get one team and Ontario sends one team .. where the hell is athelete development in such a failed model.

The Minister of Sport should be ashamed.

quote:

Canada games is a joke.. you send Yukon to play and they get one team and Ontario sends one team .. where the hell is athelete development in such a failed model.

what does that mean exactly...

quote:

The Minister of Sport is the Crown representative of a national competition that qualifies (and pays the same money) to send the best 20 players from the Yukon as they do from Ontario (which is virtually a thousand times bigger).

Just his comment on how amateur sport in Canada is about politics and not athletics.

Interesting to hear about the quebec squad. I wonder if the BC squad will have Whitecap members? Surely they should have the advantage over teams like Newfoundland or Nova Scotia who are preparing by playing in their Challenge Cup provincial leagues.

It's gonna be interesting how serious these teams take it...last time out I highly doubt anyone (bar New Brunswick/Quebec) took it seriously and look what happened.

If New Brunswick doesn't finish last, it's only because of their favourable group seeding from last tiem out. Very funny how they go from second (which was pure luck in the first place), to maybe 11th lol.

quote:Originally posted by can_footy

The rationale for Canada Games is a spring board for developing Canadian athletes to move on to international events and or open competition national level competition.

By placing "teams" into the event not based on a reasonable quality based selection process you discriminate against for example soccer players in Eastern Ontario .. who cannot go to the Canada Games as a team, yet have more registered players then the population of the Yukon.

Where the hall is the fairness and equity in that ?

The CSA should be embarassed to allow the Canada Games folks to select teams as they do, it should be stopped.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

The rationale for Canada Games is a spring board for developing Canadian athletes to move on to international events and or open competition national level competition.

By placing "teams" into the event not based on a reasonable quality based selection process you discriminate against for example soccer players in Eastern Ontario .. who cannot go to the Canada Games as a team, yet have more registered players then the population of the Yukon.

Where the hall is the fairness and equity in that ?

The CSA should be embarassed to allow the Canada Games folks to select teams as they do, it should be stopped.

Im really only familiar with the Quebec team, they have a very strong back line, with 5-6 players who are involved with the u17 national team. The internationals are: Hugo Senecal, Felix Cardin, Karl Ouimette, Amine Meftouh, Serge Dinkota, Francesco Augustin.

These guys are all on Attak contracts aswell. Top quality players, all defenders.

• 3 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Trillium

This has to be one of the dumbest posts I have ever read on this site. The Canada Games is an athletic competition that put the Provinces of Canada in direct competition with each other. provinces already have Provincial Championships such as the Ontario Cup tp play for. For the record the finalists in the last 2 Canada Games have included NL and Nb. Also I guess Canada should not be able to try and qualify for the World Cup as surely Countries such as Brazil, Spain, Italy and such could send several teams that are better than any Canadian team!!!!

Bates:

Do you remember who NL had to get throguh In the 2001 (im assuming) Canada Games tournament?

NB was very fortunate to make the finals, although they played well as a unit I still think they were lucky, here’s why:

Game 1 vs. Quebec – Got comprehensively defeated 4/5-1 IIRC. Either way they got smoked.

Game 2 vs. PEI – Needed to win this won and they did...against a side who were TERRIBLE back in ’05, but they got their act together big time and actually have a shout for a medal at this edition in my opinion.

Game 3 vs. Nova Scotia – I believe these guys fielded a team of Dartmouth United rejects. No one in NS cared to play CG at the time even with all the incentives that were tossed at them (room and board in halifax, promise of a decent job, etc.). There were plenty of guys that got scouted and signed to Prem/Championship English teams and MLS. See Ryan Deveraux, some guy from Bedford who I forget his name who was at Sheff. Utd., Derek Gaudet just to name a few. And NB barely squeaked by NS.

Game 4 vs. BC – BC was very arrogant against NB and it showed. They thought they’d be a pushover and they were wrong. NB won 1-0 I think.

Game 5 vs. Ontario – NB got creamed 5-0, ‘nuf said.

So, at the end of the way, NB only really had 3 tough opponents and went 1-2 and somehow got to the final.

In 2001. Alberta (Gold) Newfoundland (Silver) and Nova Scotia (Bronze) and PEI came 5th that year. NL played very well beating teams scuh as BC, and NS beat #1 ranked Quebec. But Alberta was on a class of its own. They were incredible

quote:Originally posted by Bates

I believe NL beat BC to get to final but don't quote me on it. And for the record I don't think it matters how you win only that you do on the end.

The problem is Bates, if someone told me that the team won a championship but had to play the weakest teams to get there, my response would be “BFD” (big effin deal).

You see plenty of universities (my personal favourite being UNB) go and promote themselves as winners of X case competition? Who were they against? UPEI, CBU, SFU? Not exactly what I’d call an achievement. But MUN goes and wins a world competition against many international schools who have highly respected business programs? That’s different. There's a reason why the cliche "X team is out to prove their efforts from last time were not a fluke."

As my girlfriend’s happy bunny calander says it best, “A good loser, is still a loser”.

NB Canada Games Roster. The Boys team just returned from a succesfull tourney in the States losing only to an Academy team from Minnesota.

From the TJ:

Soccer

Published Tuesday July 28th, 2009

B10

Womens team

Jessica Moore, Quispamsis

Marissa Duguay, Quispamsis

Lynn Symington, Sussex

Megan Spicer, Sussex

Samantha Lagacy, Moncton

Nikki LeBlanc, Dieppe

Annie Gautreau, Grand-Digue

Janelle Brine, Shediac

Gaby Doucet, Petit-Rocher

Roxanne Pelletier, Petit-Rocher

Olivia Jennings, Bathurst

Sarah Myatt, Fredericton

Leandra Upton, Fredericton

Becky Beardall, Fredericton

Dayle Colpitts, Nasonworth

Stephanie Leahy, Hanwell

Kayla Painter, Noonan

Coaches

Andy Cameron, Fredericton

Monique Bourque, Moncton

Manager

Kim Colpitts, Fredericton

Men's team

Adam Grant, Fredericton

Eric McGarry, Fredericton

Femi Adegbidi, Edmundston

Charles Duplessis, Fredericton

Conor McCarthy, Fredericton

Cassian Ferlatte, Saint John

Jeremie Roy, Bathurst

Alex Boudreau, Bathurst

Patrick Burtt, Fredericton

Peter Reimer, Fredericton

Phillipe DeGrace, Bathurst

Carlos Juan Vincent, Moncton

Patrick Vienneau, Bathurst

Geoff Pellerin, Moncton,

Eustache Kanye, Moncton

Thomas Levesque, Fort Kent, Maine

Alex Topolinski, Edmundston

Coaches

Geoff Lander, Saint John

Nick Papadopoulos, Saint John

Manager

Sean Flemming, Saint John

History

2005 - Male (Silver); Female (9)

2001 - Male (10); Female (10)

1997 - Male (8); Female (9)

1993 - Male (9); Female (9)

Best Finish - Silver, male soccer, 2005.

© 2008 CanadaEast Interactive, Brunswick News Inc. All rights reserved. More Copyright Information.

Also a story on a member of the Boys and Girls teams.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/sports/article/742362

I will take this time to say Happy Birthday to my small Province of NB who'll be officially celebrating it's 225th anniversary as a Province this up coming Monday the Provincial Holiday of New/Nouveau Brunswick Day

Looking at the schedule, I'd put my money on Quebec to at least get silver. Assuming they win the group of NS and Yukon, they gotta play the 2nd place team of NB, NL, SK and even if they get 2nd they still have a relatively easy game against the group winners.

If, like last time out, Nova Scotia doesn’t take Canada Games seriously, you may as well hand NB/Saskatchewan for a chance at bronze.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Moncton Times&Transcript

Moncton soccer players shine

Published Tuesday August 11th, 2009

B4

Stumble Upondel.icio.usDiggFacebookPrintEmailSpeak UpThe N.B. Canada Games boys soccer team fared well at the recent USA Cup in Minnesota.

boys soccer team Geoff Pellerin, centre, of the New Brunswick Canada Games boys soccer team displays his skills during a USA Cup match in Minnesota recently. The other New Brunswick player is Connor McCarthy of Fredericton. The team, with Metro Moncton players Geoff Pellerin, Carlos Vicent and Eustache Kanye, won their four games to advance to the semifinals where they lost 3-0 to the eventual winners from Blaine, Minn.

The Blaine team was an under-19 team while N.B. was an under-18 squad.

The team is coached by Geoff Lander.

Meanwhile, the three Moncton boys were also part of the Codiac First Touch under-18 AAA boys soccer team that captured the N.B. championship with a hard-fought 2-1 victory over Fundy of Saint John.

Geoff Pellerin scored both Moncton goals including the winner with about 20 minutes remaining in the game. His other goal was on a penalty kick.

The teams were tied 1-1 at the half.

The team, coached by Nick Smith, now advances to the Canadian championships slated for Edmonton in October.

© 2008 CanadaEast Interactive, Brunswick News Inc. All rights reserved.

Argh,

Slightly off-topic, but how did Fundy get to the U-18 finals? From what I was told they only won 1 game (vs. North West...woop woop) so they had to play Chaleur in the semis? Did Fundy really win? Or did they get there by default (ie. forfeit or Chaleur fielding a 3rd string side).

My guess is the latter, cause the game was on a Wednesday at 7:30 in Fundy...Im sure the boys wouldve been game for a long drive on a weeknight haha.

Archived