CAN v. JAM - Vancouver July 3 *CONFIMED @ ABRUZZO*

Me and Nolando are thinking about Cafe Abruzzo 4:30PM PST time. Post up if anyone else is in and I'll head over with a Vs scarf to make sure they can accomodate us. I'm still a bit sore they stuck me for a tenner to watch England Macedonia about 8 years ago, but there was a really good atmosphere in there for Olympic qualifying. If beer is important, let me know and I will try the Portuguese Club instead.

Cafe Abruzzo is located at 1321 Commercial, which is just off Charles Street.

I would love to, but I seem to have bad luck, and I don't want to inflict that on others. Last time I went to Commercial Drive to watch a Canada game that I was told I could see ahead of time, they were showing some domestic Mexican sleepfest.

I watched the Canada-Mexico U23 Olympic qualifier at Abruzzo. Although lots of Mexicans usually frequent that establishment, I must say it was nice to see a few Canadian jersies there as well. Most of the 'hispanics' were actually cheering for Canada which caught me slightly off guard.

I spoke with Abruzzo today and we are confirmed. I did not, with my own eyes, see that they indeed have SNO and/or SNW, but I did see the Score on while I was in there -making me think that they do have a basic digital package that would have those channels. If any problems arise, my house is a few blocks away and I can accomodate 10 or so.

Interesting, re the discussion above, that the girl working today spoke to her boss in Spanish. This makes me think that Abruzzo may not be Italian owned/run any longer. They apparently support Roma and do not hang scarves of any kind. However, it would be nice to start establishing locals to watch these matches across the country where the Vs have a presence. Maybe we could offer free ads on the web site in exchange for some type of commitment to show Canada matches when available. Abruzzo definitely has the commitment to showing live football, I'm just not sure Canada is on the radar. However, in the absence of Gold Cup, they really have nothing else to show. So even 5-10 guys in there probably helps.

Anyhoo, we're on for tomorrow.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

^Mass, do you know what club they support in Italy? I was thinking of bringing them a Vs scarf to put up, but I have a feeling that they support Sampdoria who wear blue (hence blue the awning :)).

I have the same recollection about the Mexico match, except I don't remember seeing you there. :D

As you mention in another post, I don't think the owners are Italian anymore. They seem to get their biggest crowds for the Real-Barca El Classico's. Always lots of Spanish speaking folks there either from Mexico or South America.

Honestly, the people and atmosphere are great, but two problems:

No beer and likely opposition supporters for the Ticos.

Nate was suggesting going to the Frog & Firken which, I wanted to explain would be completely the wrong way to watch Canada because the broadcast would not be on Spanish satellite; however it might not be bad given the beer situation. F&F is in your hood, why not poke your head in and see if they'll put the game on in the back room for us.

Abruzzo is still italian owned but all the girls that work there are latinas. As for supporting Sampdoria i would find that strange as the cafe is called Abruzzo( which is considerably south and to the east) and Sampdoria play in Genova. As you can see on the walls there are colours from several teams. I suspect the blue is for the Azzurri. Anyway, is everyone meeting there for the El Salvador match tomorrow? The Frog works even better for me as i live right behind it.

Edit: I will go there this afternoon and ask

Went to the frog and the manager said that she has to ask the owner on this one. They had nothing scheduled as far as the game goes and she didn't know the Gold Cup was on. I have been waiting just over an hour still no call. I'll wait a little while longer and see what happens. Will keep you informed here.

I just ran into "Robchester" from the Southsiders board. He works at Elwood's on 3145 West Broadway. In the past, we've watched Whitecaps and UEFA Champions League matches there on their projection big screen, and they've put the volume on for us.

He said that it should be fine if we wanted to watch the match there. He works evenings and doesn't start his shifts until 7pm, but he could let the manager there know.

Frog & Firkin is closer to my house, but it might be worth sticking with a pub that's footie-friendly. Also a bonus that one of the Southsiders works there.

Let me know what you think.

UPDATE: I spoke with the manager and she reserved the back room for us at the FROG AND FIRKIN beginning at 6 pm Tues eve. I can cancel if someone has another option. If nothing changes, we'll see everyone there. Oh and the reso is under my name.....Paul

UPDATE: I spoke with the manager and she reserved the back room for us at the FROG AND FIRKIN beginning at 6 pm Tues eve. I can cancel if someone has another option. If nothing changes, we'll see everyone there. Oh and the reso is under my name.....Paul

Frog is definitely footie friendly but i am cool with elwoods as well. ....maybe we should get a general concensus (sic) . All those in favour of The frog, please raise your right hand....ok....i'll leave the comedy to someone else.....

Frog is definitely footie friendly but i am cool with elwoods as well. ....maybe we should get a general concensus (sic) . All those in favour of The frog, please raise your right hand....ok....i'll leave the comedy to someone else.....

Archived