Marshall joins Seattle Sounders FC

TFC07

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that they have acquired allocation money from expansion side Seattle Sounders FC in exchange for defender Tyrone Marshall. As per league and team policy, details of the deal were not announced.

"Tyrone is a veteran of this league and we wish him all the best," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. "We are sad to see him go, trades are always difficult but in the long run we feel we have made another move to improve our team."

Marshall, 34, joined Toronto FC in a trade with the LA Galaxy on June 13, 2007 that sent forward Edson Buddle to the west coast. The defender appeared in 40 games with Toronto logging 3,459 minutes. This is the Jamaican International's 11th season in Major League Soccer having made previous stops in Colorado, Miami and Los Angeles.

Source: http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090210&content_id=216852&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

yea TFC needs some defenders. with the loss of Marshall leaves us with Wynne, Attakora, Brennan, Velez, Gala, Harmse plus Trialist Darren Kenton.

plus Gala and Harmse are much more suited for Midfielders and so is possibly Brennan.

Carver and Mo have to looking around for some Central Defenders I think with Wynne, Brennan, Gala and Velez the LB and RB spots are shored up.

But we really only have Attakora and Velez and Trialist Darren Kenton with central defender expierence and I guess Brennan.

and as for De-ro getting number 14 I heard he will be wearing number 28.

quote:Originally posted by TheKottonmouthed

yea TFC needs some defenders. with the loss of Marshall leaves us with Wynne, Attakora, Brennan, Velez, Gala, Harmse plus Trialist Darren Kenton.

plus Gala and Harmse are much more suited for Midfielders and so is possibly Brennan.

Carver and Mo have to looking around for some Central Defenders I think with Wynne, Brennan, Gala and Velez the LB and RB spots are shored up.

But we really only have Attakora and Velez and Trialist Darren Kenton with central defender expierence and I guess Brennan.

You heard that where?

He was wearing #28 in training, presumably until he could sort it out with Marshall. Now that Tyrone is gone, the number is De Ro's.

My altavista.com translation of Velez ---> 'fire hydrant'. Shored up??

Well its the number he wore in the Pre-season tilt and yea I think the LB and RB spots are shored up Wynne will play RB full time with Attakora and Velez to sub for him once in ahwile. While Brennan mans the LB spot with Gala or Velez subbing for him.

Yea that seems shored up for me You can't put all you eggs into the LB and RB spots we should feel confident on our flanks as of now, (Brennan[LB], Wynne[RB], Ricketts[RM/LM], Guevara can play the flanks as well as De-ro and Johan Smith.) but CB is the most lacking part of our team we have Defending Midfielders fillign the Spot only Velez and Attakora are true CB's

quote:

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that they have acquired allocation money from expansion side Seattle Sounders FC in exchange for defender Tyrone Marshall. As per league and team policy, details of the deal were not announced.

"Tyrone is a veteran of this league and we wish him all the best," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. "We are sad to see him go, trades are always difficult but in the long run we feel we have made another move to improve our team."

Lol! That's absolutely hilarious. First time I've ever seen a GM basically say we improved our team by getting rid of a crap player.

Yes I know with allocation money & cap space they are getting something out of the deal, but still....

So since the beginning of the off-season, we have lost 3 key defenders, and gained none (Marshall, James, Dunivant). We are now left with only 4 true defenders, all who play the wing except 1 (Brennan, Attakora, Wynne, Velez).

If looking at all our positions, besides the center backs, we are top of the league guaranteed, but this huge hole needs to be filled now! If we get 2 perfectly capable MLS center backs, with the squad we have now, we are a top club in never mind MLS, but all of CONCACAF.

hey Tuscan I dont know if the CB is going to come from the MLS but Im glad Marshall is gone. I wasnt a big fan of him booting the ball down the field almost everytime he touched it. I think I have told you that a few times haha.

But now the only CB we have with MLS experience is Velez ... we are screwed if that doesnt change haha< but im sure it will.

quote:Originally posted by Rujulus

To me he was our best centre back and a good servant to the club. Good luck to him.

Well the fact that he was indeed your best centre back shows the magnititude of the problem.

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

So since the beginning of the off-season, we have lost 3 key defenders, and gained none (Marshall, James, Dunivant). We are now left with only 4 true defenders, all who play the wing except 1 (Brennan, Attakora, Wynne, Velez).

If looking at all our positions, besides the center backs, we are top of the league guaranteed, but this huge hole needs to be filled now! If we get 2 perfectly capable MLS center backs, with the squad we have now, we are a top club in never mind MLS, but all of CONCACAF.

Little excited there fella?? LOL.

Well I think we will see a 4 man defender squad of Wynne{RB} Attakora{CB} Velez{CB} Brennan{LB} for the opening match.

Attakora will become TFC cornerstone CB for this season. He has all the talent and strength to be a top defender in the MLS.

Well, I would not be surprised in the least if Darren Kenton sticks around and ends up partnered with Velez as the other CB.

That said, I fully expect to see Nana get some quality time this year.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Well, I would not be surprised in the least if Darren Kenton sticks around and ends up partnered with Velez as the other CB.

That said, I fully expect to see Nana get some quality time this year.

I really hope Kenton never sees the CB spot the guy is as big as Wynne he isn't tall enough to playing the Centre Back spot. Too many tall strikers in the league now. I do expect Kenton to stay on but as bench player subbing for the wing backs particularly Wynne as he is become a regualar on the USA squad and we could see him miss a few games due to internationals.

Archived