U17 Canada vs. Germany (R)

superbrad

Shots 7-6 Germany

Shots on target 3-1 Germany

Corners 5-0 Germany

Getting outplayed but a break here or there and we'd have been tied at the half.

Lets' hope we come out with some composure.

All in all so far a pretty good game against a world class opponent.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see three main differences between the Germans and us.

First, when a teammate 5-10yds up field is open, they give them the ball 9/10 times. While the majority of the time we go downfield. I understand direct play. All I'd just like to see is us take the 5-10 yard advantage if it's given.

The second difference is composure. Our turnovers were very high compared to the Germans. Our style of play is a little hyperactive and I think it's hard for people to settle down and execute. And even when we did settle down we were jumpy... our unchallenged and even our dead balls were pretty weak.

The third difference was Maroszan. She changed the game from the moment she stepped on the field. Take her off the field and that game is a very, very different story. Had she been called up to their U20 side and unavailable we're in OT. But anyone who thinks the Germans would let that happen has been living in Canada too long.

And last, special kudos to Genevieve Richard. I feel the same as the announcers did, she's something special.

The Germans really are something else. Too bad we can't play a team like that on a regular basis. That would really help us get to where they are. Like I said before the game, they really do expose your weaknesses and force you to become better.

Our girls came a long way from a 2-0 loss to Costa Rica in the CONCACAF qualifiers. The Costa Ricans were absolutely obliterated on the field by the Germans. I seem to remember the shots being something like 30-1.

We played a quarter-final against one of the top 2 teams in the world and we kept it close for 80 minutes.

And for that, they can all come home proud. And when the tears all fade, they can look back with a smile at a job well done, and a flag well represented. They set a great measuring stick for the next generation. Great job ladies.

I echo Vic's comments to the effect that this team can walk away from the game with their heads held high.

To me it seemed as though the Germans were just that one second quicker on the ball every time, one second quicker to anticipate the direction of the pass, to make the run into space, to make the decision, the deke, to make the tackle, to get up from a tackle, to reach the 50/50 ball. Just that one second every time adds up.

I wholeheartedly agree with Vic that our teams need more games against this level of opponents on a regular basis to elevate their game.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I think their bandwidth is very low, so having a super high download speed is not going to help you. A good monitor and video card may do more for you.

Thinking back it was better last time & my PC is pretty sweet. Cheers for the help guys :-)

quote:Originally posted by soccertaxi

I echo Vic's comments to the effect that this team can walk away from the game with their heads held high.

To me it seemed as though the Germans were just that one second quicker on the ball every time, one second quicker to anticipate the direction of the pass, to make the run into space, to make the decision, the deke, to make the tackle, to get up from a tackle, to reach the 50/50 ball. Just that one second every time adds up.

I wholeheartedly agree with Vic that our teams need more games against this level of opponents on a regular basis to elevate their game.

Well said by both & I will go further to say we need to start our NT's at U15's to keep pace w/ the rest of the world.

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

Well said by both & I will go further to say we need to start our NT's at U15's to keep pace w/ the rest of the world.

I will go further yet and say that it all needs to start with a pathway that promotes skill development and long term player development over picking the biggest, fastest girls with the biggest boots to win the game tomorrow...

In BC the provincial team is changing its philosophy in this direction, on paper, our governing bodies have realised this. But unfortunately, our grassroots is still full of old school coaches (many uncertified to boot) putting their personal need to win ahead of long term player development. The reality is that at the grassroots level we are cutting players with skill who might be late bloomers in favor of bigger, faster players. As a nation we value size and speed over skill, and put too much emphasis on winning at an early level. We move too quickly away from small-sided games that value skill over power and even the playing field for smaller, not yet fully developped players. Once we cut them from the rep system, these players move their skills to other sports.

Minimum coach certification should be mandatory at any level of play from tots on up (cross-country skiing requires it from every volunteer coach, why shouldn't soccer) and that would be the first step to a unified approach to development across the country. We need to have a parallel pathway with local technical resources and programs available that focus on skill development in youth, not just winning. It could also be as simple as having badges to acheive at different ages or levels of development showing that certain technical skills have been achieved, like they do in other sports. Most youth coaches have no idea what technical skills they should be teaching at different levels and how to teach them. Imagine being able to pick a U13 team with kids who ALL know how to juggle a ball, do a Cruyff turn, play zone defense.

The Germans' reaction time was so quick because they have been doing these skills forever and they are now second nature. Players with their skill level are the norm, not the exception. We need stronger technical development at the grassroots level and that involves putting money into the system for professional resources everywhere around the country. Things are beginning to change with more private academies and DDC (District Development Centres) and like programs that focus on skill development but we need a more unified professional approach if we hope to ever beat countries like Germany.

The majority of the elite youth players who go on to play youth national women's teams can be identified into local pools very, very young. They are aggressive, they are competitive, they are strong, they are fast, they are agile, they have courage, etc. Sure there are some late bloomers but they're a small number.

In Canada, these elite youth are coached from the ages of 8-12 by parents, and at best by a Dad who's played the game and done his 2-day coaching course (with a guaranteed pass and quite often delivered by less than remarkable individuals).

They hit 13 and a regional training center and their first qualified coach. And by qualified coach I mean quality.

Unfortunately, that's about 5 years behind countries with massive professional infrastructures like the Germans.

We did a great job yesterday. The Germans didn't have half the heart we did. But if we want to compete better with them then we have to find a way to ensure our top 5% are getting qualified coaching at the youngest ages. That's it.

No revolutionizing the system, no forcing kids (and coaches) who will never play higher than house league into $000's a year, etc.

THE REALITY: Our massive youth system serves the 99% of players who will never play for our national teams.

THE GOOD NEWS: We're better setup than anyone else in the world to provide the small number of late bloomers who come from nowhere to become world class.

THE BAD NEWS: We're setup worse than anyone in the world in grooming the large bulk of national team players who can be identified young.

All we need are programs to do what professional clubs in these countries do - identify the top few percent at each age group very young and stream them with great coaching and a professional environment. Period. Full stop.

quote:Originally posted by soccertaxi

I will go further yet and say that it all needs to start with a pathway that promotes skill development and long term player development over picking the biggest, fastest girls with the biggest boots to win the game tomorrow...

In BC the provincial team is changing its philosophy in this direction, on paper, our governing bodies have realised this. But unfortunately, our grassroots is still full of old school coaches (many uncertified to boot) putting their personal need to win ahead of long term player development. The reality is that at the grassroots level we are cutting players with skill who might be late bloomers in favor of bigger, faster players. As a nation we value size and speed over skill, and put too much emphasis on winning at an early level. We move too quickly away from small-sided games that value skill over power and even the playing field for smaller, not yet fully developped players. Once we cut them from the rep system, these players move their skills to other sports.

Minimum coach certification should be mandatory at any level of play from tots on up (cross-country skiing requires it from every volunteer coach, why shouldn't soccer) and that would be the first step to a unified approach to development across the country. We need to have a parallel pathway with local technical resources and programs available that focus on skill development in youth, not just winning. It could also be as simple as having badges to acheive at different ages or levels of development showing that certain technical skills have been achieved, like they do in other sports. Most youth coaches have no idea what technical skills they should be teaching at different levels and how to teach them. Imagine being able to pick a U13 team with kids who ALL know how to juggle a ball, do a Cruyff turn, play zone defense.

The Germans' reaction time was so quick because they have been doing these skills forever and they are now second nature. Players with their skill level are the norm, not the exception. We need stronger technical development at the grassroots level and that involves putting money into the system for professional resources everywhere around the country. Things are beginning to change with more private academies and DDC (District Development Centres) and like programs that focus on skill development but we need a more unified professional approach if we hope to ever beat countries like Germany.

Good comments Soccertaxi, you mentioned two things that jumped at me. One is about the "uncertified" coaches for school age kids and the other is the "badge" system.

Our Canadian system makes it so easy to get certified as coach for either Community or Senior coach that having a piece of paper it really does not make you a proper coach. At the most it shows you how to run some drills, but we all know it takes way beyond that. Fly-by-night coaches will not do the trick, we need people who have played the game at a high level and who can demonstrate the ability to pass on the experience to young boys and girls.

The CSA, believe it or not, used to have a "badge" system some 27 years ago, where you could order a kit of badges which included badgeds for each soccer skill. Can't remember now how many different ones they had, but it was around 7 or 10.

Unfortunately poor coaches at early ages are a result of the high numbers of registered players. You are a youth director and you have 20 teams and only 4 "really qualified" coaches. You need 16 more. You spend 2 weeks making phone calls to parents and manage to talk 16 into taking a two day 12 hour course for "certification". Then you hand out equipment and uniforms and get on to your next thankless task as a unpaid volunteer.

My biggest beef w/ the CSA is there is no national development pathway or structure that is based upon levels of proficiency at certain ages. If there was it would be easier for everyone in the CSA development pathway or structure whether paid or volunteer to follow a development training plan for a certain age.

IMO if development & coaching was made more easier by a structured pathway w/ levels based on age. This like in school could be followed & learnt so everyone would enjoy & benefit vs what we have now which is fragmentation in national development for players, coaches & admins. If we want to give the kids the best whether for Rec or Elite let's manage & run the development pathway or structure professionally like a business so everyone is on the same page at the team, club, district, PSO & NSO levels.

I probably will be stoned by many here for saying this, but our grass level youth is already too structured, we don't need more, we need less or better yet, none at all. Let the kids learn by themselves and from older kids in a free environment with no referees, no standings, no parents, no coaches, etc. Once they reach 14 years of age, then they can start playing "organized" soccer. By that time they (the kids) would have sorted out by themselves as to who has talent. Those with no talent or any kind of potential will simply drift away into other activities/careers.

We need to offer a Rec & High Performance model as we should be building cradle to grave clubs for families. If we don't we can't generate the retention or $ to move ahead.

A club should help w/ the free environment as kids grow up in a culture. Right now there is no soccer culture so the game competes w/ other sports & the world of tech social networking. Many sports are for families but soccer here is still a academy or babysitting program w/ no real top to bottom development pathway for the Rec & High Performance players that should be found in clubs that are apart of the families social world.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

All we need are programs to do what professional clubs in these countries do - identify the top few percent at each age group very young and stream them with great coaching and a professional environment. Period. Full stop.

Interesting comments Vic, but I have to disagree with a few points.

I don't believe in the top 1 or 2% elite system for young children. I have seen far too many players, girls especially, change completely at adolescence and find their aggression, coordination, maturity, drive etc or vice versa lose it at that age. There are also some incredible body changes and variations in size at that age, girls who were the biggest, strongest and most coordinated at age 11 are still the same size, not improving and getting chubby at 15. I also don't believe in forcing very young children (8-12) into high pressure performance environments where they must perform to be accepted and to keep their spot. At that age, they need proper skill training in fun, low pressure environments. I have seen far too many talented kids burn out early and drop out of the sport.

Streaming into full-on professional elite programs works in places like Europe where the population is concentrated and there are clubs everywhere. Our country is vast and a system like that in Canada would serve only the major centres. So kids, if you don't live in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver forget about making the National team.

Without totally revolutionizing the system, you can have smaller scale professionally run programs in many places. I am not saying that everyone needs professional training but access to some sort of skill focused training program with professional level coaching for those who are keen is a good concept. A program based on developing skills, not winning games at whatever cost. The DDC concept in BC is a step in the right direction, but needs to be implemented in more places. If you have a critical mass of kids with good skills (again I don't mean everyone)it is not as big a problem to stream them into the more elite systems at 12 or 13.

I understand that certification does not guarantee good training but it is certainly a starting point to getting coaches on the same page. I am amazed at how resistant the soccer community is to certification training. There are too many people in the soccer community who believe that being a good player makes you a good coach and that there is nothing else to learn. There is a lot about coaching theory that does not require high level playing experience that needs to be passed on to the next generation of coaches. Coaching theory is constantly evolving and our best coaches are constantly upgrading and improving their knowledge, and we need to keep passing this knowledge on. Other sports are light years ahead of soccer in developping qualified entry level coaches.

I prefer & especially w/ the females to build the dual pathways of Rec & High Performance & let the players decide which way they want to go.

As Soccertaxi stated there are various & huge changes that go on in the youth years of a female player. What I have seen is the majority stay in their social structures which can be based on the level of expertise they are at in sports. They chose which direction they want to go in the structure. Some who are in the Select level develop on their own or thru good coaches to move up the system.

In case anyone hasn't noticed kids don't spontaneously gather in parks to play in multi-age groupings without adult supervision anymore. Better organization of youth soccer is probably the way to go, but we probably won't have the quality coaches until the present players become parents and take over the roll of coaching their children. Systemic changes are needed to provide for the training of coaches so that these former players will be ready. I really believe that the culture of soccer must exist here first. Then we might be able to see progress.

If you're talking about making generic recreational and low-to-mid level competitive soccer in Canada better then great. That's a long-term project that will be successful but how much so vis-a-vis the other sports all trying the same thing is wait and see. Personally I hope it increases soccer culture in the country but I'm not interested in betting the farm on it or even bothered if hockey fans want to stay hockey fans.

If you're talking about making our national teams better, that's another story.

The Manchester United's and Barcelona's and Santos of this world put all their focus into the top 1-2%. Nothing else even exists for them.

Now, what do you know that they don't?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/wayne-rooney-the-making-of-a-legend-421404.html

Count me down as someone who never EVER wants to see kids like that thrown into a gym with all the other kids and looked after by a Mom or Dad who's never played the game (now with three weekend courses instead of one to their credit) and is now coaching in any academy or club.

We need to run our national programs like the billion $$ global soccer entities run their businesses. The best 1-2% of youth coaches work with the best 1-2% of young kids. Locally, regionally, provincially, nationally. We start that at 14 and we're far too late.

How many Wayne Rooney's have we killed off?

^ Vic, I agree with you 100% on this. We need avenues for these kids to be identified and developed at not extra cost to their parents in order to keep the opportunities open to all players no matter what their socio-economic status. Also, scouting should continue at all youth levels with places in the professional club academies and/or NTCs subject to constant competition. The kids have to understand that if they don't continue to cut it they will be gone and replaced by somebody else. This is the real world of elite, professional sport.

Archived