Winnipeg in the CSL or USL 2010

I think this scheme is all part of the Western expansion of the CSL or probably expansion into the USL. I'm curious to know if any further Quebec teams will be joing the CSL.

------------------------------------------

Winnipeg groups look at pro soccer for city

Jerrad Peters

Updated: October 25, 2008 at 11:02 AM CDT

Remember the Winnipeg Fury?

What heady days those were. It’s easy to forget, but the now defunct professional soccer team once included the likes of Canadian international goalkeeper Pat Onstad, national team scoring ace Carlo Corazzin and former Winnipeg Blue Bombers place-kicker Troy Westwood.

In 1992, the Fury captured the Canadian Soccer League title. Only the Winnipeg Goldeyes (1994) have won a professional sports championship for the city in the 16 years since. Given the renewed interest in reviving professional soccer in Winnipeg – not to mention the disappointing performances of both the Bombers and Goldeyes – a local soccer club might be the city’s best shot at a championship in the next few years.

The Free Press has learned that at least three separate groups of investors are hoping to bring professional soccer back to Winnipeg by the start of the 2010 season. Whether they are admitted into the CSL or United Soccer League remains the only question.

“There have been a couple of serious inquiries regarding a CSL team in Winnipeg,” confirmed league commissioner Cary Kaplan. “Some former Winnipeg Fury executives are involved in discussions.”

The CSL’s expansion strategy calls for the introduction of a handful of franchises in Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Alberta and British Columbia by May, 2010. The league currently operates 11 clubs between Ontario and Quebec.

One of the investors is working with local consulting firm Hobbs International and has already been in talks with the USL – the same circuit that features the Vancouver Whitecaps and Montreal Impact. “They want Winnipeg,” he told the Free Press. “Winnipeg will have pro soccer here again.”

While two of the interested parties would be paying a franchise fee with private funds, one is contemplating the viability of public ownership. By selling 25,000 club memberships for $100 apiece, the group would raise $2.5million to hold in trust for start-up costs and operating expenses.

“Once our 25,000 member goal has been reached,” said a spokesman for the group, “we [will] vote on which league we enter… whether it be the USL or CSL.”

As Winnipeggers can attest, private ownership has its drawbacks. But with three potential ownership groups in the mix, a best-case scenario would see the two leagues go head-to-head in an attempt to sway a buyer and set up shop in the city.

Kaplan remains optimistic that the CSL will be the first to tap Winnipeg’s potentially lucrative soccer market. And he’s not wasting any time in moving forward.

“We will be having a conference call with a number of these individuals [this] week,” he said. “It is safe to say, Winnipeg would be included in any CSL expansion to a Western division.”

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/story/4241860p-4884887c.html

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Luis, its my understanding that further CSL expansion into Quebec is unlikely in the short term, unless Saputo decides to allow it.

Saputo is doing serious damage here. He has to open up to a national system in order to expand and develop talent at the amateur/semi-pro level. He's shooting himself on the foot, I think.

USL1 is a pipedream for Winnipeg.

Keep in mind, the Winnipeg Alliance (CMISL gong show) couldn't survive on an operating budget which involved travel to Saskatoon, Calgary and Edmonton.

The $2.5-mln public ownership fee would evaportate in 2 - 3 years and the team would be toast before the end of season 3. You need a Saputo or Kerfoot in Winnipeg - an investor (with vast amounts of cash to burn) who is willing and able to bleed money for 5 - 8 years.

Unless this is the type of owner in discussions with the USL - then forget it.

Luis,

Thank you for your question. For 2009, the plan currently is to add between 1-3 teams in Ontario. (for a total of 12-14) Groups in Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Kitchener, Korea (Intl), Africa (Intl) have all expressed various levels on interest. Details will be revealed by the AGM in February 2009.

For 2010, while we plan to continue growth in Ontario, and perhaps Quebec, we would ideally like to add a six team Western division. There have been a number of perliminary discussions, with several groups. Six teams is a magic number, and the teams would come from Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

The Western Division would not play against the Ontario or Quebec teams except for the later stages of the playoffs.

Hope this helps clarify somewhat.

Cary Kaplan

CSL

Cary, Good work with the CSL this year.

Just a quick question, I'm a player from Ireland playing semi-pro here, and hoping to come over to CSL for the 2009 season.

Would you have any on these 'new' teams joining from Ontario's email addresses? If so could you please pm me them or post them here. Also if you could help me getting in contact with Portugal FC, Brampton Lions, Italia and all the teams in Toronto area, that would be fantastic because all the clubs emails on the website all seem to be computer generated emails, and I am not getting any replys. The only coach that got back to me was Astros.

Cheers.

http://web.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t280&player=kehoe_eddie

Speed. Here's the bio of Eddie Kehoe...another goalkeeper from Ireland. He played for the North York Astros for about a year when they were terrible. Now he's the goalkeeping coach for Toronto FC of the MLS. Maybe worth an e-mail to him to ask advice to break into Canadian soccer?

^ Why don't you just show up here and start talking with everybody in person. You'll have to pay for your own accommodations anyway, so you might as well wait till you're here and deal with the right people on a one to one basis.

quote:Originally posted by Speed

I'd like to have a couple of, well at least one trial set up, before I come over. If I came over and didn't get a trial, then I would be in a bit of a problem.

very few teams in CSL are in a position where they would deny anyone a trial. If you are in town during the pre-season period, I'm sure you'd be able to get a bunch of trials. Its not really THAT formal. Most of the coaches, from what I'm told, are pretty accomodating.

Cheers for the replies Vpjr and Robin, must appreciated.

So you could just turn up for pre-season and ask for a trial?

With all the money I would be spending to get there, I really would love for 2/3 clubs know to that I'm coming and been offered a trial.

I just cant seem to find any teams coachs legit emails, only Astro's Carbajal got back to me.

Does anyone know of clubs that actually have real 100% foreigners, by that I mean, players that have no relations or connections in Canada, because most of the foreign players i've read about in the CSL, are from Canada, just born abroad etc... E.G Go Nakaogka and Jon Hurtis, Japanese and French players, but it says on the website there from local towns...

Thanks

^ Those are legit foreigner players, they came to Canada to play for the Astros and Happy Hall was an other one of those players.

So the Astros had 3 players, Portugal I think had 4, Croatia had 1 or 2. All those players are going back home soon, now that the season its over.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Luis, its my understanding that further CSL expansion into Quebec is unlikely in the short term, unless Saputo decides to allow it.

How does Saputo have any say in the matter? He has USL-1 rights for Quebec, he has no rights to stop any other league teams from starting up.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

How does Saputo have any say in the matter? He has USL-1 rights for Quebec, he has no rights to stop any other league teams from starting up.

Saputo has alot of control over the Quebec Soccer Federation. What Suputo wants, Saputo gets. It might sound overly simplistic but I've been told by numerous different people that this is the case.

Archived