Winnipeg in the CSL or USL 2010

The CSL isn't closing the idea to more than one club in a city, if the ownership warrants it (not that it would apply to Winnipeg). That may be key if this is to get off the ground.

With USL expanding rapidly (PDL & USL-1), the CSL needs to make a move now before it is too late.

Winnipeg already has a natural rival in the PDL Champion Thunder Bay Chill.

I don't think the CSL will limit themselves to one club per city, because that would be counterproductive to the league. Rivalries is what brings spectators to the fields but those rivalries have to be natural not artificially created like the ones the commissioner is trying to create in Ontario.

Some countries around the world developed their professional system based on one city first and then expanded to the rest of the country.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

The CSL isn't closing the idea to more than one club in a city, if the ownership warrants it (not that it would apply to Winnipeg). That may be key if this is to get off the ground.

With USL expanding rapidly (PDL & USL-1), the CSL needs to make a move now before it is too late.

Winnipeg already has a natural rival in the PDL Champion Thunder Bay Chill.

Is Ottawa still a closed city to the CSL ? Has the Wizards situtation been finally put to rest with the league, EODSA, OSA, and CSA or is the league holding back because they dont know how much will be granted to the Wizards ownership ?

Not to sound pessimistic but i grew up in winnipeg and know a thing or two about the soccer community out there and the way they think.

first off, where do they think they will get 25,000 people to spend $100. they got what 6000+ into MTS center for the Alliance and tell me how many of those tickets were paid for. my guess would be less than half.

Second, winnipeg soccer has been in a steady decline for about a decade, with only a few young prospects coming out of the woodwork every couple of years

last but definetly not least, winnipeg has a very greedy soccer community. what that means is that for the good of the game, noone will put their neck on the line. the top coaches, managers, players have too much pride to work together to make a dream come true for some aspiring youths.

These are just a few challenges that face any new team that wants to play out of winnipeg. not being negative just being real. With all this said, I would love to be proven wrong and see winnipeg with a pro or even semi-pro team. CSL is far fetched considering there are no teams even remotly in the vicinity. a USL div 1 team would see no less than 18 foreign based players, as the wpg leagues would be hard pressed to supply 5 quality homegrown players.

Not to sound pessimistic but i grew up in winnipeg and know a thing or two about the soccer community out there and the way they think.

first off, where do they think they will get 25,000 people to spend $100. they got what 6000+ into MTS center for the Alliance and tell me how many of those tickets were paid for. my guess would be less than half.

Second, winnipeg soccer has been in a steady decline for about a decade, with only a few young prospects coming out of the woodwork every couple of years

last but definetly not least, winnipeg has a very greedy soccer community. what that means is that for the good of the game, noone will put their neck on the line. the top coaches, managers, players have too much pride to work together to make a dream come true for some aspiring youths.

These are just a few challenges that face any new team that wants to play out of winnipeg. not being negative just being real. With all this said, I would love to be proven wrong and see winnipeg with a pro or even semi-pro team. CSL is far fetched considering there are no teams even remotly in the vicinity. a USL div 1 team would see no less than 18 foreign based players, as the wpg leagues would be hard pressed to supply 5 quality homegrown players.

quote:Originally posted by THE_TRUTH

CSL is far fetched considering there are no teams even remotly in the vicinity.

Agreed. Edmonton is 16 hours by road from Winnipeg so you would have to imagine that air travel and hotel accommodation would need to be involved if amateur/semi-pro players would be playing in a prairies division of the CSL. I suspect the money would soon run out as three figure crowds would likely be the norm. PDL is much more doable as NCAA scholarship players have the time on their hands to make long bus trips and to raise money through running summer soccer camps.

Archived