MTL coach throws hissy fit in Seattle!!!

Johnnie Monster

Guest Jeffery S.

You have to always be able to withstand heckling, since it is mostly there to provoke you. You have to be above it.

If you think anything was inappropriate you request an investigation and ask the league to look into it. Of course the Sounders just played their last home game in USL so they don't care.

AS for the tensions, were they provoked by this penalty the reporter says was "iffy", which ended up being the winner?

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Limniatis went crazy on David Falk and the ECS after the match, and there's pics!

http://goalseattle2.blogspot.com/2008/09/sounders-take-first-leg-2-1-as-emotions.html

Apparently Gjertsen had friends / family from Washington state who took it upon themselves to invade the ECS section, and fights ensued!

[:0]

Oh my. Somebody is beginning to feel the stress.

JL has got to be careful. I'm sure he had a good idea of the bunch he was stepping up into and based on that reasonably felt he could handle things (if you follow) but Geez, man. What are yah, new? A) You never know who's up there. Could be a real kook or worse, some old brawler who wouldn't say no to a little exercise and B) You've got a return leg in Montreal Sunday. Don't you want to be on the bench?

Maybe Montreal will just get a fine but maybe not.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

Honestly the match was horrible, the ref was total crap, he missed numerous calls and gave some that only him saw. I was definitely frustrated but going into the crowd like that is stupid.

Yeah it's totally unacceptable but I don't know why it's exactly what I like about him...strange.

Let's be clear. The link above shows photos of the Gjertsen family in the stands.

The Montreal coach approached / confronted fans after the match. He was walking through the crowd where fans and players congregate for autographs. It is one of the main exit areas for fans. I saw him but was not sure it was him at first because he had removed his suit coat.

He didn't approach me then, but as our group left for the parking lot he saw us and came over to instigate.

No one from Montreal should be proud of his behavior because he lost control of himself, and that shows weakness...not passion. It shows a lack of character.

If I had heckled him in a way that attacked him personally, or his family, then maybe I could have understood it more. But we were relatively brief and somewhat kind in what was said when he was on the bench just after the second half began.

Further, when the match is over, so is the aggro as far as I am concerned. We call it a day and look for the next match.

John was unable to do that and has brought embarrassment to an entire franchise.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

I'd have hit him.

That is a pretty easy claim to make from behind the safety of your keyboard. However, if you were to do this I would hope for your sake you are a pretty good fighter because I think Limniatis is a pretty tough character.

Hahaha that last pic is hilarious.

It's time for everybody to get out of the way when "Terminator" Braz lights his eyes up like that... :D

You gotta love the characters we have over here in Montreal... We could definitely write a comic book starring Limniatis, Braz, Pizzolito and the likes...

quote:Originally posted by sounderfan

Notice that the Sounders official is restraining John, not the fans.

He is not restraining .. he is placing himself between you a member of the general public hanging around the pitch long after the game is over .. with your video cam and a professional coach .. who may well be telling you in clear and forcefull terms what an ass you are.. but hey did you get smacked or not ?

Thats the important question cause if he did not smack you .. but only told you how much of a goof you might be.. its not really relevant is it ?

You might want to realize you dont go looking for someone from your rivals after the match with video cam with the intent of starting and incident and then whine and invent when your friends photo evidence shows he is only wagging finger at you .

Hell Ti-Jean from Chicoutimi would have popped you one and walked on .. smiling.

Idiotic.

I was on my way to my car like other fans were.

He approached us. He made the first inappropriate move after the match was long over. He is the 'professional' representing a club. He is the one who failed to show any class.

I was the one listening to his outburst, trying to catch it on camera and telling him "Do you really want the world to see you like this?" He didn't care. He was in such a rage that he lost perspective.

Do not turn his tantrum around on the fans.

Loyalty to a coach is one thing, but his actions were out of line.

The league is currently looking in to the situation, as are both clubs.

It all could have been avoided if the coach had just gone to his locker room and let the fans exit. No fans that I could hear were even talking to him when he started in on them. He took the initiative, he was the aggressor. He is to blame for his own actions.

Guest Jeffery S.

The fans are allowed to heckle, that is sacred. No more to say about it. The fans can do what they bloody well like as long as it is not violent, and will do what they like, and the players and staff have to put on the poker face, get to the showers, and then think about getting on the team bus. Nothing more.

Limniatis obviously lost it. Mind you, it is a good way to get the focus off the players and get the heat on him, he takes the heat now not the team, and the whole incident gets the Sounders worried even before they are out of the stadium after winning the first leg. Also riles up Mtl fans, who are sure to lay into the Sounder players and coach tomorrow. I am not saying he did it all on purpose, but it is not at all bad for team psychology and creating the ideal match day atmosphere.

What fans chant is not irrelevant. There is a line not to be crossed (racist stuff for example)

There is also a line the coach should not cross and this coach definately did. If he was punished by USL I wouldn't have a problem with it. However, what if their is a method to his madness. What if he senses his troops are tired from all the extra Champions league stuff and feels that they need a motivational shot in the arm. Not only is the hate on between the players, but now their coach is almost fighting in the stands for them. If the Impact win this series is he hailed as motivational genius? Kind of a anti-D.M. He just might be the next CMNT coach. But, first he must beat the Sounders. Wish I could be there for that game.

Could all be true. I certainly feel that a one-goal lead going into tomorrow is not enough for Seattle. It would be a shame if that is the way he is trying to reach his players. It would be further a shame if that method is rewarded on Sunday.

However, Montreal can win, and with class. Let us hope that 'class' rules the day on both sides.

Match photos from last night. Yes, there was a match! ;)

http://goalseattle.com/photoindex/RickMorrison/Playoff1/Montreal_Playoffs.htm

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by sounderfan

Could all be true. I certainly feel that a one-goal lead going into tomorrow is not enough for Seattle. It would be a shame if that is the way he is trying to reach his players. It would be further a shame if that method is rewarded on Sunday.

However, Montreal can win, and with class. Let us hope that 'class' rules the day on both sides.

Match photos from last night. Yes, there was a match! ;)

http://goalseattle.com/photoindex/RickMorrison/Playoff1/Montreal_Playoffs.htm

Superb quality photos. With Montreal's schedule, having played Canada Cup, in Concacaf Champions, having had to make a late run to even get into a decent playoff position in USL, they have to be tiring. The rush is there, but also the tiredness, which is both mental and physical. Which is why anything that can give them a lift is needed.

I hope Montreal takes Seattle out cleanly, and early, so they can get the subs in and give the starters a rest.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

That is a pretty easy claim to make from behind the safety of your keyboard. However, if you were to do this I would hope for your sake you are a pretty good fighter because I think Limniatis is a pretty tough character.

No, I'd have hit him. He may have hit me back and he may beat the crap out of me, but I'd get very offended if he stuck his monkey face in my personal space. I'm funny that way.

Then again ion the bottom picture he may not be trying to annoy Mr. Falk by shoving his face in his personal space. He may be trying to get a kiss.

Archived