MTL coach throws hissy fit in Seattle!!!

Johnnie Monster

Funny how a comeback 3-1 elimination win silences the Seattle/Vancouver cat calls of [shmuck][idiot][classless][minor leaguer][monkey face][muppet] etc.

One of the best Canadian teams I've ever seen. And he's a huge part of that. You can't watch that team and not be a fan.

Funny how a comeback 3-1 elimination win silences the Seattle/Vancouver cat calls of [shmuck][idiot][classless][minor leaguer][monkey face][muppet] etc.

One of the best Canadian teams I've ever seen. And he's a huge part of that. You can't watch that team and not be a fan.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Actually the win has nothing to do with silencing the cat calls. Seattle and Vancouver fans are still doing that on their own websites.

http://forum.vancouversouthsiders.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2458

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Actually the win has nothing to do with silencing the cat calls. Seattle and Vancouver fans are still doing that on their own websites.

http://forum.vancouversouthsiders.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2458

Guest Jeffery S.

He had a bad day. If everyone was as calm and collected as the Dalai Lama we'd all be enslaved somewhere. Give him a break already, all this other crap is irrelevant to the only real question worth asking: can he coach?

Seems to me like he can.

Hope he chooses to do the right thing next time he hears the hecklers and stays in the team dressing room until the bus pulls up.

On a personal level I find Limniatis adventure with the ECS funny. Yet there is no doubt that it was to some degree unprofessional and does not give the club a good image. This is because coaches and players are mandated to show a higher level of conduct than the average fan. I am sure Limniatis had to answer to some of the Impact's club administration about his conduct in Seatle. I also think he had to explain himself to the USL. The fact he has not been punished so far either is due to the USL not being very strict in applying rules of conduct OR to their being extenuating factors that were not reported in the extremely biased accounts we have got from certain Seattle fans.

First of all, to some extent it is always wrong when players or coaches get into confrontations with fans since this is against the standard of behaviour set among professional sports leagues. On the other hand players/coaches are also human beings and get upset when fans cross the line as well. We do not know what the Seattle fans said or did but it should not be forgotten that said group of Seattle fans who are trying to portray themselves as innocents got into two separate incidents on this evening with two separate groups. One of the groups while being related to an Impact player had no official or unofficial relationship to the club and consisted of people from Seattle. While Limniatis would have been better to go to the dressing room, he did not hit anyone or commit any violence or serious offence. I can think of many far, far worse incidents of players or coaches interacting in fans in a variety of sports. Limniatis got pissed off but this is being blown up into an issue far bigger than what his actions warranted. Show me the injured party and I will agree with a significant punishment.

Additionally we have some very biased and in my opinion dishonest reporting of what happened from one involved party. For instance the Seattle fans state that, "Limniatis confronts fans as they try to make their way to the parking lot. Yes, the guy in the cap is me." Is there even one picture that they show in which it appears the Seattle fans (especially the guy in the cap) are trying to make their way to the parking lot? Is there one picture where they appear like they want to let security take care of things and are trying to get free of Limniatis and his "abuse"? It looks to me that they are doing their best to provoke him and at the very least to get as many good photos as possible to bitch about later on the internet. I have no problem with them doing this, I would probably do the same in a similar situation. However, I draw the line at them trying to play the victim in a situation in which they were willing participants.

For me the most offensive part of this situation is not Limniatis yelling at a few fans but these fans attempts to portray themselves as victims on several internet sites (ECS board, Voayageurs, Southsiders, Big Soccer, who knows how many others?). It is part of supporter group culture to try and wind up opposing players and coaches. Usually we are not as successful as ECS was on this night. However, if you are going to play the game you have to take what you give as well. If an opposing player or coach reacts like Limniatis did most supporter groups would consider this a victory. Most would post the pictures and have a laugh at it and heckle the guy worse next time. To go on the internet and whine and bitch and play the victim is a disgrace to supporter culture. If you are going to be an as-shole to a player or coach for 90 minutes don't go playing the victim if he is an as-shole to you after the game. If I pissed off an opposing player and he punched me after the game I would be proud of this and not go bitching on every internet forum. Yes players and coaches are held to a higher standard by the league. We are not the league but supporters and have our own code of honour. To me those ECS members (I don't want to say all ECS members since I don't know what the general opinion is of the group) who have posted these whining posts on the internet have broken the code of honour far more than Limniatis did. It seems to me such people are better off joining a club sanctioned mickey mouse supporter group or going to baseball games. If you are going to play the game you play the game, if not watch it on tv, ie. if you can not take as well as you give do not join or call yourselves a supporters group.

Here is what a member of ECS had to say on the Southsiders board about the matter of who was involved in the incident and subsequent posting of it on the internet. Apparently the Limniatis incident did not involve the ECS.

quote:I should clarify some stuff relating to "supporter culture" raised in this thread and Limniatis

David Falk and the others in those photos rarely if ever stand with ECS... and some accounts of what Liminatis did are confusing. While the "ultras" standing section did take the piss out of him all game, and no doubt contributed to winding Liminatis up to the point where he snapped afterward (which we find very amusing)... the incident in question was well outside the stadium... not Liminatis going up into the stands to confront ppl like has been portrayed in some threads on various boards. As far as I know, none of the ppl involved with the photo incidents with Liminatis were "ultras". The other incident though is another matter That was ultras, and those guys who entered our section and decided they wanted to have a go were dealt with, as you can imagine.

I think I can speak for most of us on the ultras side of things that A) We think what Liminatis did was stupid as all hell, but B) since we weren't there when Liminatis went off, we stay pretty much out of it otherwise. What David and the others decide to do is their own business. It is not ECS's official position to attempt to portray any one as "victims".

Just for some background: "ECS" in general refers to a superset of those who stand and sing (what most ppl would think of ECS from the outside), and those who buy our stuff and do some outside activities (photography, graphic design, etc). Some of these ppl never stand with us, but we consider them ECS for most respects. They are not "ultras" though. There is a subgroup called Brougham Boys 1974 which started up in the past year which does most of the tifo, pyro, etc and would be closest in line to UM's mentality. I guess you could say "ECS" is an umbrella group, but there are separate entities underneath.

David runs the GoalSeattle.com site, which is NOT the site that the ECS ultras run (www.weareecs.com). We made the decision to go our own way last year for a multitude of reasons. We remain friendly for the most part (a few exceptions), but David's web site (or opinions expressed therein) should not necessarily be interpreted as coming from ECS.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit.

Article on Ethan Gage today in 'The Province'.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=826114cb-86df-41b9-a9d7-c6aaeadfea55

Teen Gage earns his jersey

17-year-old midfielder a triumph of will over skill

Marc Weber, The Province

Published: Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Ethan Gage went nameless for his first six weeks with the Whitecaps.

The 17-year-old midfielder was decked out in a no-name No. 20 jersey, his rise from the residency ranks apparently too speedy for the stitcher.

It was fitting for a kid who loves the challenge of making a name for himself.

Ethan Gage outleaps Montreal Impact's Sandro Grande during Sunday's game.View Larger Image View Larger Image

Ethan Gage outleaps Montreal Impact's Sandro Grande during Sunday's game.

Les Bazso, The Province

Email to a friendEmail to a friendPrinter friendlyPrinter friendly

Font:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Fitting, too, that his namebar arrived in time for the playoffs -- his 90-minute shutdown performance so noticeable in Sunday's 2-0 semifinal win over the Montreal Impact at Swangard Stadium.

"It took a while [to get the namebar], didn't it?" said veteran midfielder Martin Nash, who can't take Gage into a bar but can teach him plenty on the pitch.

"Maybe he had to earn it, and I guess he has now.

"I've been very impressed with him. He works so hard, non-stop, and he's got a good feel for the game. He's come a long way with his passing and his confidence has grown."

Gage has grabbed at every opportunity. His rapid rise from Calgary's Elbow Valley Villains and Team Alberta to the residency team and on to the big club has been impressive.

His USL First Division debut was Aug. 3 in Charleston and he's appeared in three of the Whitecaps' four playoff games.

And based on Gage's last performance -- when he helped render David Testo and Sandro Grande relatively invisible in midfield and again showed his willingness to play a gritty, defensively sound game -- it's easy to see him starting in Sunday's USL-1 championship final against the Puerto Rico Islanders (4 p.m., Swangard Stadium).

Gage says that his progression has been more about will than skill.

"With the residency team, I was no way near the best player, maybe in the middle or closer to the bottom, but I worked really hard," he said. "Every training session I always work my hardest.

"I love the challenge of being at the bottom and working my way up."

He might have already worked his way out of Vancouver. If last Sunday was Gage's coming-out party, then this Sunday could be his crowning Whitecaps moment and farewell bash rolled into one.

Three residency players are currently with Energie Cottbus' under-19 Bundesliga team, and Gage is a strong candidate for a European adventure next year.

"If a 17- or 18-year-old can play up with the men's team and not look out of place, we said that would be a great indicator that he would be ready for a professional career in Europe," said residency director Thomas Neindorf.

"I think he has the potential to reach out for it. He's not afraid out there. He's smart and he's disciplined."

Neindorf played a big role in Owen Hargreaves' move to Bayern Munich, and Hargreaves -- the Calgarian now starring in Manchester United's midfield -- is Gage's idol.

"He's done what I want to do," said Gage.

Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi said that a big reason for the hiring of Teitur Thordarson this year was the Icelandic coach's willingness to play younger kids.

"[Gage] is a reminder to me of what should happen and doesn't happen because we all tend to get a little cautious -- you worry about results," said Lenarduzzi.

"But if you're good enough, you're old enough and that's something we need to apply."

mweber@theprovince.com

Archived