Overall Thoughts on Voyageurs Cup [R]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

And I thought the CSA did a pretty good job of it. They promoted the Voyageurs Cup front and center. Logistically it was difficult for them, because they are in the middle of preparing for the World Cup Qualifying matches. No complaints from this writer and for first timers, they did a decent job of it. Well done CSA. (Keep in mind they have sponsors to please). Besides the trophy presentation (still may happen), we got everything we wanted.

Just to correct my earlier post, we have in fact got everything we wanted.

It's official and came down to the wire, but Grizzly will be presenting the Voyageurs Cup on our behalf at the start of the Montreal match today at Stade Saputo.

Thank you Grizzly and treasure the moment. I look forward to seeing the photo's posted on our site.

While overall this tournament has been better than anything I could have imagined as little as two years ago there's two things that really could have added to the professionalness of it's perception:

1) Vancouver needs a real stadium. Look, I know all the crap going on out there and trust me I sympathize with the left coasters but Swanguard was a reminder that pro soccer still hasn't quite "made it" in this country. Games from there didn't look fully professional. I'm not sure a relatively empty BC Place will be much of an improvement but at least the games won't take place in what, to the average viewer, looks like a public park.

2) What the hell was up with all the kit changes? TFC inexplicably deciding to wear their road greys even though their reds didn't clash made those games look like friendlies or training sessions. For some reason the WHITEcaps decided to wear blue at home to TFC. Finally, Montreal: what the hell are your colours? This has been something that constantly annoys me about the Impact. Every time I watch the Impact they seem to have a different jersey on. If it was up to me it'd be easy: Vancouver = white, Toronto = red, and Montreal = blue (because I hate black as a home strip). Part of the tradition of this sport is about loyalty to one's colours or "fighting for the colours." Constantly changing is gimmicky and makes it seem as if you're not as serious about the games IMHO.

Otherwise, I can't wait for next year. I stayed in BMO to watch the whole trophy presentation so that I could really soak up all the frustration of the evening and the sight of the Impact supporters celebrating in my stadium is only going to make next year's righteous vengeance (on the field guys, don't worry) all the more compelling.

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

2) What the hell was up with all the kit changes? TFC inexplicably deciding to wear their road greys even though their reds didn't clash made those games look like friendlies or training sessions. For some reason the WHITEcaps decided to wear blue at home to TFC. Finally, Montreal: what the hell are your colours? This has been something that constantly annoys me about the Impact. Every time I watch the Impact they seem to have a different jersey on. If it was up to me it'd be easy: Vancouver = white, Toronto = red, and Montreal = blue (because I hate black as a home strip). Part of the tradition of this sport is about loyalty to one's colours or "fighting for the colours." Constantly changing is gimmicky and makes it seem as if you're not as serious about the games IMHO.

I believe there was a rule in place that mandated the teams to wear their away kits when they are on the road.

This forced TFC into their ugly grey jerseys (which are supposedly on the way out next year) in Vancouver and Montreal, which forced the Whitecaps to wear blue (as grey and white are too close to each other).

It appears that the rule was thrown out for the final game though, as the Impact were wearing their home whites (at least I believe those are their home kits, based on the Hydro Quebec sponsorship across the front).

Hopefully next year the teams will be able to wear their primary jerseys unless a clash occurs.

Finally, Montreal: what the hell are your colours?

We have had threee kits for as long as I can remember : white at home, blue on the road and a third kit, the black one. The black kit usually is used in playoffs/big games, for some reason I don't know.

We want the blue kit to be used at home.

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

We have had threee kits for as long as I can remember : white at home, blue on the road and a third kit, the black one. The black kit usually is used in playoffs/big games, for some reason I don't know.

Thanks, I think my confusion was caused by the fact that I've probably watched the Impact in as many of those "big games" as I have regular ones.

quote:

We want the blue kit to be used at home.

Ya, I noticed that most of the supporters seem to wear blue. Not that my opinion really matters but I think it makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Ya, I noticed that most of the supporters seem to wear blue. Not that my opinion really matters but I think it makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Actually, I'd say supporters wear an equal amount of blue and black, with some white jerseys and t-shirts sprinkled in.

I personally think our black jerseys are the nicest looking ones of the three. Yet the black jersey doesn't really make sense as far as the team colours go. It is kind of like the black Canada jerseys which look very nice but don't have any relation to Canada's colours. As long as clubs think there is money to be made from a third jersey they will continue to wear them. I'd also have to agree with Daniel that many supporters wear the black jersey.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I personally think our black jerseys are the nicest looking ones of the three. Yet the black jersey doesn't really make sense as far as the team colours go. It is kind of like the black Canada jerseys which look very nice but don't have any relation to Canada's colours. As long as clubs think there is money to be made from a third jersey they will continue to wear them. I'd also have to agree with Daniel that many supporters wear the black jersey.

Yes, most supporters have black UM02 shirts, then it goes to general shirts of black and blue, then jerseys.

And Rudi, our whites have Quebec sponsorship, Not Hydro Quebec.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Heh. To be fair, those Quebec sponsored jerseys were a one-off.

Nope.

Like I said, the Jersey I own has the gov, there are plenty of pictures with the Gov on there.

All I need is for Rudi to make a "And Rudi ends up with his foot in his mouth yet again. :)" and i'm done in this thread.

:D

Archived