Abdus Ibrahim for Canada?

Guest Dave

Yeah, I know, it was only one game. Still, if there is any chance he could be naturalized to Canada, then I think it's worth pursuing. Is he cap tied to anyone?

Actually it looks like the Americans beat us to the punch with Ibrahim. Since he presently doesn't have Cdn citizenship, does his prior involvement with USA mean he couldn't potentially switch nationalities prior to age 21?

quote:Originally posted by Dave

Actually it looks like the Americans beat us to the punch with Ibrahim. Since he presently doesn't have Cdn citizenship, does his prior involvement with USA mean he couldn't potentially switch nationalities prior to age 21?

That's what I was thinking. I think with Fifa's new rules this would be the case unless as you say his prior involvement with the US does not tie him to them. Also, another thing I am thinking of, is doesn't the new rules say something about a player being 18 before you would start counting the years he has lived in the country? I mean if he is only 16, that might not affect him. We need some clarification here.

quote:Originally posted by king1010

i think he moved to michigan(why he wanted to move from dallas to toronto) from ethiopia and played for the us u17 team.. i never heard anything about jamaica

Michigan? I think he lived in Minnesota.

Fairly sure he has family in the Toronto area, and that's why he wanted to go to TFC.

Living with an uncle in Toronto apparently. If his uncle is Canadian, is it possible he has a grandparent that is Canadian also? If that's the case, then his involvement with USA doesn't matter since he would have been eligible for Canada all along....

Dave is talking about Andy Williams whos from Toronto being on Jamaica. Well thats my guess anyway. Jahman I agree with you it is ironic but the thing is that Jamaica has several english born Jamaicans on their team, Canada has several European born Canadians on their team. Poland used to have a Nigerian born (I think) player, Olisadebe? Were always gonna be pissed about THAT certain englishman. Then we got Marc Bircham who played for Canada before stepping foot here. Do you expect us to say, nah screw him we dont want him, hes not a real Canadian. This may even be the case but he was helping the team and was a pretty good player. Were fans so were bias. And so are you.

Guest speedmonk42

Someone who requests to be traded to a Canadian team to be closer to family that lives here, and wants to play here is fine by me if it is possible and he is willing.

Anybody have conatct with him? let's invite him to Canada V Jamaica and show him how rabid our support, the enthusiam we have for the future and how we want him to be a part of it. Toronto is the perfect home someone of his background.

He's just a kid. Maybe his heart will be in his new home. Remember he has family here, and presumably he will soon be going to high school here. He wasn't living in the USA for that long. If JDG2 feels Dutch, maybe in time Ibee will feel Canadian. I think inviting him out with the Vs is a great idea.

quote:Originally posted by jahman

Alex - fair enough and I do agree with you. But its your fellow Canucks who have been criticizing Jamaica for using English born Jamaicans- I am just pointing our the double standards.

Piss off back to Brixton, and check your Canadian passport on the way out.

Here's a new board for you:

www.england-supporters.com/

I'm sure you can find at least one other fakin' jamaican who doesn't think Pennant's a wanker.

he moved to the minneapolis at the age of 12 in 2003...he got his US passport in 2006...was a member of U.S. U-17 Residency Program in 2006, played all 4 matches in the 2007 U-17 World Cup and was part of the U.S. U-20 camp held in Argentina where he featured in all three games.

he has already graduated high school at bradenton florida

his relative in toronto is an uncle...

he lived in ethiopia for 8 years, kenya for 4 and the US for 4...he has a 4 year contract with TFC.

we need to find him a girl...it worked with stephen ames.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

we need to find him a girl...it worked with stephen ames.

Too funny and true. Face it, what do 16 year old guys think about?

Getting your first goal in any pro league at 16 is really an amazing start. Hopefully he can continue.

Not that Toronto needs the hype given their perpetual sellouts but think about the general media angle for a wider audience! 16 year old playing pro soccer and performing well? This could be a bigger boost to Canadian soccer than anything else we could think of.

Seriously now that he is living here after a couple years he will be more Canadian than American. He really isn't that American coming here at 12 "apparently he was 12". Looks older than 16, maybe 19 but hey whatever the media will buy it and so does FIFA

The Canadian Men's National Team...for Canadians.

Besides Ibrahim will only be eligible for Canada after he's fulfilled the 5 years of consecutive residency after turning 18. That would make him 23 and he'll be too old to switch.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

The Canadian Men's National Team...for Canadians.

Besides Ibrahim will only be eligible for Canada after he's fulfilled the 5 years of consecutive residency after turning 18. That would make him 23 and he'll be too old to switch.

See this is where that rule confuses me. The way you have it there is the way I interpret it as well. So this means his year and a half here before he turns 18 don't count? Also, the big thing is does his U-17 or U-20 US games tie him to them. They do don't they?

If that's true, then there are a lot of cases where this rule would have a affected a lot of players. For example, a child moves from country "A" to country "B" when he is 2 or 3. He has no prior heritage to country "B", but he has lived there 15 or 16 years say. He has citizenship for country "B" and what not. However, at his 18th birthday he goes to play and live in country "C" for the rest of his career. Therefore he can never play for country "B" even though that's where he grew up and learned his trade. Seems like they made things worse to me.

The scenario you describe sounds pretty bad, i wonder if there's a different rule for kids who are under 18?

Anyways, Ibrahim is cap-tied if he played for the US in the U17WC and he'd have until his 21st bday to change allegiance. If there's a different eligibility requirement for youths and the residency is less than 5 years he could change. If the residency is 5 years minimum no matter what age, then he won't be eligible until after his 21st bday even if they started counting from now.

Archived