Canadians abroad: February 1-7, 2008

DJT

Guest Jeffery S.

Re Julian's match yesterday, if anyone saw it sure they'll agree Depor played well, pressured the ball, passed well and combined looking forwards, and Julian had a really excellent game. He followed the ball more, was more in the play, covered more turf. Perhaps having Guardado out he was asked to follow the strikers in, and he also pushed up and filled the hole in the attacking right, went just offside on a few long passes that would have sent him home down the wing. Overall a relief to see Depor get the points and edge out of relegation territory, and good to see them all play as a real team with Julian a key part of that.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Re Julian's match yesterday, if anyone saw it sure they'll agree Depor played well, pressured the ball, passed well and combined looking forwards, and Julian had a really excellent game. He followed the ball more, was more in the play, covered more turf. Perhaps having Guardado out he was asked to follow the strikers in, and he also pushed up and filled the hole in the attacking right, went just offside on a few long passes that would have sent him home down the wing. Overall a relief to see Depor get the points and edge out of relegation territory, and good to see them all play as a real team with Julian a key part of that.

I didn't see much of the match, so I can't offer my own judgment, but the GolTV announcers said that it was the best they had ever seen Julian play, and that he was one of the best players on the pitch.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I didn't see much of the match, so I can't offer my own judgment, but the GolTV announcers said that it was the best they had ever seen Julian play, and that he was one of the best players on the pitch.

Anyone who saw it will also have seen an absolutely beautiful football pitch, at the Ruiz de Lopera in Sevilla.

Most commentators also gave De Guzman high marks, in Spain it was on Tele5 and they were very generous with his game, but really the whole team was quite sharp yesterday.

Fernando Aguiar played 70 and was subbed out after the fireworks were over in Gondomar's 4-0 win over former top flight side Santa Clara. They are 21 points on 18 matches, 5 over relegation and 9 behind promotion, good after having played in relegation for most of the year.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Anyone who saw it will also have seen an absolutely beautiful football pitch, at the Ruiz de Lopera in Sevilla.

Most commentators also gave De Guzman high marks, in Spain it was on Tele5 and they were very generous with his game, but really the whole team was quite sharp yesterday.

I missed only the first 10 minutes of the first half of the Depor match. This is the 3rd time I've watched them on TV this season and this was BY FAR the team's best performance and it was the most involved in the Depor offense I'd ever seen Julian allowed to be.

He looked like he had been freed up by the coaching staff to be more creative and offensive minded and he flourished thanks to this extra freedom. He was everywhere. He was as good or better in this game as he was for Canada in any of the GC matches in which he was such a shining star.

very positive day for julian.

As for that pitch, Jeffrey is soooo right. It was drool-worthy.

Super match for Depor and a great match for The Guz earning some desperately needed points for the club.

Yeah. I don't think that I can say I've seen The Guz move so forward so often with intent since he left Hannover. Damn he covered a lot of ground. Taken in with what Feyenoord and younger bro put on display this morning against Ajax (which was crap, Jon-o included) this round definitely goes to Julian.

Yes the pitch was immaculate. A perfect deck for beautiful football.

Lars Hirschfeld was in net for CFR Cluj on Sunday, who defeated FC Gyeongnam, of Korea, in a friendly match. Cluj are taking part in some kind of friendly tournament, and will take on Slovan Liberec tomorrow.

Also, any Romanian buffs might want to take a crack at this story from the CFR website:

quote:

Hirschfeld isi ia casa in Cluj

INVESTITIE Portarul canadian intentioneaza sa-si cumpere o locuinta în capitala Transilvaniei.

Transferat în aceasta iarna de la Rosenborg Trondheim, echipa cu care a jucat în grupele Ligii Campionilor, internationalul canadian Lars Hirschfeld intentioneaza sa-si cumpere o casa la Cluj.

Proaspat casatorit din luna decembrie a anului trecut, Lars Hirschfeld, canadianul din poarta lui CFR Cluj, tine la confortul sau, iar acest lucru l-a transmis si conducerii clubului din Gruia înca de la negocierile pentru semnarea contractului. ”Vreau o casa cu minimum patru camere”, le-a expus Hirschfeld celor de la CFR una dintre conditiile sale. Sefii din Gruia s-au dat peste cap si au rezolvat problema, însa Hirschfeld, speriat de chiria uriasa pe care o plateste, 1.000 de euro lunar, dintre care 700 îi primeste de la club, vrea mai mult. ”Dupa ce revenim din cantonamentul din Cipru, îmi voi cumpara o casa în Cluj. E o investitie buna, pe care cred ca o pot amortiza în timpul contractului meu cu CFR. Vreau sa ma ajutati!”, le-a transmis canadianul sefilor sai, care au mandatat deja un angajat al clubului sa se ocupe de rezolvarea problemei. Potrivit unor apropiati ai sai, Hirschfeld s-a decis si asupra zonei în care doreste sa locuiasca în Cluj: cartierul rezidential ”Buna Ziua”, acolo unde o casa pe gustul canadianului costa minimum 200.000 de euro. Pentru a-si rasfata sotia, Lars Hirschfeld este dispus sa scoata aceasta suma din cont, cu atât mai mult cu cât a încasat de la CFR o prima de instalare de 400.000 de euro la semnarea contractului cu liderul.

Mai multi jucatori de la noi se gândesc sa-si cumpere locuinte în Cluj, mai ales dintre cei care au contracte mai lungi.

Iuliu Muresan, presedinte CFR Cluj.

quote:Originally posted by tarnado

Daniel Imhof goes 90 minutes as Bochum knock off 2nd place Werder Bremen at their home stadium 2-1.

My favorite japanese player shinji ono was picked up by bochum recently and apparently played a huge part in this game.

from the bochum hp:

"In the 68th minute, Shinji Ono celebrated his debut in the German Football League. And what a debut! Only a few moments after his substitution, he crossed the ball at right angle to Auer, who only had to slide the ball into the net: 1:1. The match remained exciting, the VfL saw their chance. Moreover, Naldo wa cautioned red in consequence of a professional foul. He had stopped Sestak from scoring. Werder seemed to be shocked and our men stayed dangerous and excited further pressure. A sharply shot Ono corner landed on Yahia's head and the Algerian hit the target 2:1! Our 1,000 supporters were upside down and watched our team winning in Bremen for the first time! A great deal and an earned win."

I wonder if he and Imhof are playing beside each other. I guess Imhoff is still in that long list of defensive possibilities for Canada (god we have a huge list of guys of a very similar overall skill level). Hard to deny him a chance for at least some consideration when he is playing at that high of a level,and playing well by most accounts.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Lars Hirschfeld was in net for CFR Cluj on Sunday, who defeated FC Gyeongnam, of Korea, in a friendly match. Cluj are taking part in some kind of friendly tournament, and will take on Slovan Liberec tomorrow.

Also, any Romanian buffs might want to take a crack at this story from the CFR website:

My basic Romanian skills tell me he wants to buy a 4-bedroom house in the Buna Ziua neighbourhood of Cluj! :D

I think that Andrew Ornoch scored for Esbjerg in a friendly with Silkeborg...

quote:

Silkeborg og EfB delte i Søholt

06-02-2008

EfB med Michaël Murcy i en tidlig hovedrolle startede bedst i træningskampen mod Silkeborg og kom foran ved polsk-canadieren Andrew Ornoch midt i første halvleg men formåede ikke at omsætte et spilovertag før pausen til yderligere mål. Hjemmeholdets Steffen Ernemann scorede med sit langskud kort før pausen kampens anden og sidste scoring til slutresultatet 1-1.

Atiba Hutchinson played 90 minutes in central midfield for FC Kobenhavn, in a friendly with Brann Bergen of Norway. Brann won 1-0, and from the number of times his name appears in the match report, Hutchinson seems to have been involved in many of his team's attacks. FCK finished the match with 9 men.

http://www.fck.dk/index.php?pageid=1910&msa=summary

Archived